Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion's Paul Beirne: "We do not exist without the fans"

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Paul Beirne has admitted being new to this club. My advice for him is to get a copy of 'Build A Bonfire' and read it as soon as possible.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Paul Beirne has admitted being new to this club. My advice for him is to get a copy of 'Build A Bonfire' and read it as soon as possible.

That would be a good start.

It's certainly nice to hear the sentiments that he's expressed in that interview. It will be more interesting, however, to see some minutes from tonight's meeting and any actions that actually arise from those discussions.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Is it just me who thinks he didn't actually say anything meaningful in that at all?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I do feel a little sorry for him, as one of his tasks he described on the Albion Roar is to get more bums on seats, at a time when his colleagues appear to be ruining the large following that had been built up.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I believe he has already.

Good. An executive at this club who hasn't read "Build A Bonfire" is about as useful to me as a priest that hasn't read the bible.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
to be honest this just makes me more depressed. I genuinely believe that the club is superbly run behind the scenes. I think Barber is doing a fine job (no sarcasm there - I mean it). And then Sami takes over ffs

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
There's only 2 PB's

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
This was asked at Tony Bloom's Q&A at Seagulls Over London. I wish I could remember the reasons he gave - but the answer was a quite resounding no.

A real shame but it is presumably about being able to segregate enough of the concourse to service the number of seats (10%?) we can be obliged to make available and to steward the area effectively.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
If/when Barber leaves, I expect Beirne will take his place. His CV is just as strong

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
This was asked at Tony Bloom's Q&A at Seagulls Over London. I wish I could remember the reasons he gave - but the answer was a quite resounding no.

It has been asked frequently...

There are three reasons (and, in my opinion, one is valid and the others aren't!)...

1. The concourse in the South was designed to provide flexible partitions. East Lower wasn't. This means that we can give a variable amount of the South Stand to away fans, depending on both our obligations (league vs cup) and their take-up.

2. There are a number of East Lower residents who opposed the proposal (back when Gus wanted home fans behind both goals, arguing they paid too much for their tickets to have to sit near Northern riff-raff.

3. Ticket Prices. Giving 2, maybe 3, differently priced segments to away fans would result in issues. The club argued that "one price" would cause issues - Charge away fans the lower price and home fans in the east would complain. Charge the higher and the away fans (& club) would complain. Differential pricing has the potential to cause stewarding issues as people buy cheap seats but sit elsewhere - easier to manage for home fans but hard for the away support.

I don't think that the club's response to this has been anything than these three points. There is a cost associated with fixing the first (and in my opinion, the only valid) answer. The club appear unwilling to meet that cost in order to achieve the goal of a home-only South Stand.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
It has been asked frequently...

There are three reasons (and, in my opinion, one is valid and the others aren't!)...

1. The concourse in the South was designed to provide flexible partitions. East Lower wasn't. This means that we can give a variable amount of the South Stand to away fans, depending on both our obligations (league vs cup) and their take-up.

2. There are a number of East Lower residents who opposed the proposal (back when Gus wanted home fans behind both goals, arguing they paid too much for their tickets to have to sit near Northern riff-raff.

3. Ticket Prices. Giving 2, maybe 3, differently priced segments to away fans would result in issues. The club argued that "one price" would cause issues - Charge away fans the lower price and home fans in the east would complain. Charge the higher and the away fans (& club) would complain. Differential pricing has the potential to cause stewarding issues as people buy cheap seats but sit elsewhere - easier to manage for home fans but hard for the away support.

I don't think that the club's response to this has been anything than these three points. There is a cost associated with fixing the first (and in my opinion, the only valid) answer. The club appear unwilling to meet that cost in order to achieve the goal of a home-only South Stand.

Thanks for this - a good summary.

I'd agree with your conclusion, too. It's a shame that the club don't consider this a worthwhile effort, because I think it would help to foster a better atmosphere in the ground.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
The only product I am intersted in, is the team on the pitch. I would love to see us win every game, but as a Brighton supporter, I realize this probaly won't happen. In this case, I will be happy with a team that tries to play attractive football & each player gives 100%. I would also like a manager that has tactical nous, an idea of how he would like his team set up, without the use of temporarly loans. I would like player recruitment to be done by that manager.

Things I'm not really bothered by. Corporate slogans, fan "experience" outside the ground, the pies - I really don't care about the bloody pies, or any of the catering for that matter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here