Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet complains about player recruitment......AT SUNDERLAND...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Sunderland boss Gus Poyet: Don't call me the manager ???

Sunderland boss Gus Poyet has insisted he is a head coach and not a manager in an apparent criticism of the club's transfer dealings.
The Uruguayan has vented his frustration about a lack of quality at the club, who lie 15th in the Premier League table.
"I am a head coach," Poyet told reporters.
"I am not going to be a head coach when it suits and a manager when it doesn't. That side is down to recruitment."
The Black Cats ensured Barclays Premier League survival with a late surge last season and looked to strengthen in the summer as they made seven signings, including Jack Rodwell, Jordi Gomez and Ricky Alvarez.
But this term they are without a win in six games and have just one victory since an 8-0 drubbing at Southampton in October.

Poyet 'not enjoying' lack of wins
With the January transfer window approaching, Poyet has made it clear he wishes to strengthen his ranks, although he has suggested that he will have little to do with the process, with sporting director Lee Congerton leading a continental scouting system on Wearside.
"I want more quality. Do I think I'll get it? I don't know," said Poyet.
"You know what is missing. It is clear what we need to do. That is down to recruitment.
"So, if you ever get the chance to speak to anyone on the recruitment side and ask them about it, you are lucky. If you don't, don't ask me."
Poyet's predecessor, Paolo Di Canio, claimed he had not signed any of the 14 players the club acquired in the summer of 2013 when he was in charge.
However, those claims were denied by former director of football Roberto De Fanti.
"Paolo had the final decision on every player," he told BBC Sport. "He always blames everybody else but himself."

Dec 29, 2011
He picked out some gems when he was with us, if he was given money at Sunderland I'm sure he'd make some good signings.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sunderland fans themselves have lamented the lack of quality brought in by the club regardless of the manager. All things being equal you'd have thought at least one of O'Neill, McCarthy, Bruce or Poyet could have got Sunderland into the top half for a sustained period. It is a problem at that club and something we appear to have in common with them.

That said, Bridcutt and Buckley are Gus signings and they've not exactly set the world alight up there.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
He has a point though. I wish we had a manager who would complain about our shambolic player recruitment too.

Exactly. It's very hypocritical of us to point it out when you read the anti Burke/Barber threads here.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Always somebody else's fault with that tw*t

I really can understand his and any managers/head coach frustrations in this situation. The majority of managers have normally played at a high standard ( I know there are a few exceptions) but how frustrating to be told, this is the set of players you can select from by someone who has never played football at a decent level. His new head of scouting Steven Houston is yet another data base man and in 2006-2009 was a scouting for the NBA Basketball scouting team. Out of interest what level did our Head of Football Operations play. It appears nowadays to recognise a good player you must have good IT skills.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Ah so THAT's TB masterplan. Wait for Sunderland to self-destruct, then get Gus back down here for "We're ****ing brillian" round 2.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That makes me wish Hyypia would come out and be a bit controversial and stop being so dull and talking in riddles. Go on Hyypia have a go at the board and recruitment, endear yourself to us.

I do miss a manager with character much more than I thought I would.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Always somebody else's fault with that tw*t

Wow, have you been watching what has happened at the Albion the last couple of years? Are you happy with the whole "Burke recruits the players" system we have? Because if not, then Poyet has a point whether it's at Brighton or Sunderland.

I find it incredible that you can't see the failings of a system whereby a manager / head coach is given a set of players and told to carry the can for their success and failure. Or are you just looking to moan and roll your eyes at Gus at any given opportunity.

I'm not having a dig, I genuinely don't understand where you are coming rom on this one. Surely we have seen so very clearly that the system Gus is referring to at Sunderland is one that doesn't work.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Thats bullshit, are you telling me Buckley and Bridcutt were'nt his signings

I did think that myself, but I guess the reality is that he has put forward some names (just as Oscar did down here), and while the club have delivered on those two (presuming they were on his list), but how many others?

Spanish Rodney was on Oscars list, and we got him, but that didn't mean he had any significant say over the signings in general.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Don't slag Gus off. I wish our current manager had his backbone.

Since Poyet left we've appointed yes-men who tow the company line on the recruitment process. And look where it's got us.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I really can understand his and any managers/head coach frustrations in this situation. The majority of managers have normally played at a high standard ( I know there are a few exceptions) but how frustrating to be told, this is the set of players you can select from by someone who has never played football at a decent level. His new head of scouting Steven Houston is yet another data base man and in 2006-2009 was a scouting for the NBA Basketball scouting team. Out of interest what level did our Head of Football Operations play. It appears nowadays to recognise a good player you must have good IT skills.

Not really sure what point you are making unless it is that only people that have played at the top level of football should be allowed to manage and recruit! The current most successful manager is probably Mourinho. What level did he play at? Also, the number 2 at Real Madrid, what level did he play at? There are many great footballers who failed abysmally at management.

Finally, who pays the bills? It's all well and good managers going on a spending spree but more often than not they fail and the manager moves on with his pay-off and the club are then left to balance the books.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here