Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Purpose of Living

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Glad I never bought a season ticket then.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
To reproduce and keep the line going, just like all the other animals, why? who knows.

Never understood this argument. Heard many people say that we are here to reproduce, they never seem able to explain what the point of reproducing is however.

To get philosophical for a moment, I have been pondering this myself as I approach 40 and am childless. One part of me feels I should have children one day but the other part of my brain keeps asking 'Why'? I keep arriving at the argument that I feel I should reproduce because that is what society expects, if that is the reason for reproducing then it is a poor one and perhaps I am better off remaining childless. Does it mean I have any less purpose or enjoyment in life? I am not sure.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Never understood this argument. Heard many people say that we are here to reproduce, they never seem able to explain what the point of reproducing is however.

To get philosophical for a moment, I have been pondering this myself as I approach 40 and am childless. One part of me feels I should have children one day but the other part of my brain keeps asking 'Why'? I keep arriving at the argument that I feel I should reproduce because that is what society expects, if that is the reason for reproducing then it is a poor one and perhaps I am better off remaining childless. Does it mean I have any less purpose or enjoyment in life? I am not sure.

Its got bugger all to do with society and what it expects , its in our make up/ DNA to reproduce.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Its got bugger all to do with society and what it expects , its in our make up/ DNA to reproduce.

Is it though? We are going through a period now (particularly in the UK) of more and more people choosing to be childless and a life of creative singledom. I know loads of females and males in their late 30s/40s who have decided not to have children, that it is not for them.

50 years ago this would not have been seen as socially acceptable, you were expected by society to marry and have children. Surely this pattern is evidence that it is not in our DNA and make up at all. Not all females have an in built maternal nature, likewise not all males have a paternal nature.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia

No children, then trust me , you have less purpose and enjoyment in equal measures, you lucky bloke.
You also have the ability to chose whether to reproduce or not.
Don't worry yourself, as there are plenty making sure that the stock does not run out.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Is it though? We are going through a period now (particularly in the UK) of more and more people choosing to be childless and a life of creative singledom. I know loads of females and males in their late 30s/40s who have decided not to have children, that it is not for them.

50 years ago this would not have been seen as socially acceptable, you were expected by society to marry and have children. Surely this pattern is evidence that it is not in our DNA and make up at all. Not all females have an in built maternal nature, likewise not all males have a paternal nature.

Wrong age to ask. At 30 or 40 they may THINK they know best as their job/career/yoga is ticking along. The trouble is that 10 or 20 years later work/yoga becomes less important as many inevitably stagnate and the clock can't be wound back on potential family life.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Interesting. I decided some time ago I did not want children, I'm now 46. I have never really had any urge for children and to be honest I had never really given it much thought; my mind, future and future ambitions and desire etc is always focused elsewhere. But eventually about 10 years back I decided once and for all not for me; mainly due to friends having kids and it being an often asked question of me. This repeated questioning made me think a bit. And the answer I keep arriving at is that it simply does not interest me. It did mean an slightly awkward conversation with the now wife early in our relationship but she was of a similar mind and understood; if anything I feel this has made us stronger. It was a joint decision we made. Will I regret it? Time will tell but I like playing Uncle Tubthumper to friend's children, encouraging them to be naughty, and then handing them back. I'm quite happy with this role in life.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wrong age to ask. At 30 or 40 they may THINK they know best as their job/career/yoga is ticking along. The trouble is that 10 or 20 years later work/yoga becomes less important as many inevitably stagnate and the clock can't be wound back on potential family life.

When work and yoga becomes less important you move onto other things. There is plenty in the world to occupy you other than a family. Plenty. I have a huge list of things I want to do and I doubt I'll actually have time to do everything given my age.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The biological purpose of life is clearly to keep the species going. Same with all living organisms, surely! The fact that some chose not to is not really a problem because they are probably a minority. However, if that became the norm then we are heading for problems. We aren't the only species that have non reproductive sections albeit in the case of humans it is either by choice or accident (ie illness or genetic). Look at ants, they have thousands of sterile females by designj

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Interesting. I decided some time ago I did not want children, I'm now 46. I have never really had any urge for children and to be honest I had never really given it much thought; my mind, future and future ambitions and desire etc is always focused elsewhere. But eventually about 10 years back I decided once and for all not for me; mainly due to friends having kids and it being an often asked question of me. This repeated questioning made me think a bit. And the answer I keep arriving at is that it simply does not interest me. It did mean an slightly awkward conversation with the now wife early in our relationship but she was of a similar mind and understood; if anything I feel this has made us stronger. It was a joint decision we made. Will I regret it? Time will tell but I like playing Uncle Tubthumper to friend's children, encouraging them to be naughty, and then handing them back. I'm quite happy with this role in life.

Likewise, I am an uncle to 2 boys and enjoy the role, love seeing them grow up and become teenagers, love spoiling them but do not feel a paternal desire to have them myself. Indeed, this could change in a few years, who knows but one thing I am sure of is that I will not have children because it is expected of me.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
The biological purpose of life is clearly to keep the species going. Same with all living organisms, surely! The fact that some chose not to is not really a problem because they are probably a minority. However, if that became the norm then we are heading for problems. We aren't the only species that have non reproductive sections albeit in the case of humans it is either by choice or accident (ie illness or genetic). Look at ants, they have thousands of sterile females by designj

Back to the original point. Why is it CLEARLY the point to keep the species going? What is the reason or purpose? The earth was here long before humans and would continue long after of we die out (unless you believe some made up nonsense in a fictional text of course).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I can understand that.They say that things all even out over time so I suppose there will be people like yourself and mrs T who decline having kids and that makes up for the morons who have 12 + kids and can't stop themselves.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
No children, then trust me , you have less purpose and enjoyment in equal measures, you lucky bloke.
You also have the ability to chose whether to reproduce or not.
Don't worry yourself, as there are plenty making sure that the stock does not run out.

Interesting feedback. Especially the bit 'you lucky bloke'. I have many an a acquaintance that looks on with jealousy at my single life of world travel and bemoaning their suburban mundane boredom, what I do not understand however is that they chose that path? Did they fell they HAD to rather than they WANTED to.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I don't understand why we assume there is a purpose. Why should there be one? Why can't life just... be?

There's no reason that should detract from it either - I'm genuinely very happy and loving life without believing in any kind of 'purpose' (despite the Albion's best efforts to bring us all down...).

I get that it's a natural question to ask - everyone will ask why/how we're here at some point - but why can't the answer just be that, beyond physical cause, there is no 'reason'; it just happened and is just happening?

paul-brighton

Jun 12, 2011
Sompting
I really, really, expected someone to answer 'Football' or 'The Albion', especially given this is a football forum. Does the fact that no-one has - have reflections on our teams performance at present, I wonder !?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To reproduce and keep the line going, just like all the other animals
That isn't the purpose, that's just what happens. You either pass your genes on, or you don't. There is no purpose, we are just creatures living on a planet, for the time being.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here