Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Birmingham Mail article on the (Villa) trio’s recent displays.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Fair assessment of Bent and Bennett, Gardner's hardly been above a six all season and for a Prem player has been a big disappointment.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
"Darren Bent loaned to Brighton seems like a win for all parties; but is the Championship the ideal place for faltering professionals to rediscover form, or is it the first stop on a voyage into the football wilderness?"

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/11...to-brighton-do-loans-rejuvenate-fading-stars/

Its not necessarily the wilderness, but they have to play their socks off just to make the team. That means realigning their focus.

Bent might hack it in the Championship, although past records indicate League One is more his standard to a shine, Gardner could be a bit player and Joe Bennett really has to work hard on his technique.

cf. Stephen Ward could really have done well at the Albion cause he was quite good.

Gardner is still young, but not blessed as an athelete over and above the ordinary.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Bent will be good and has been ok - he is much more clinical then our other 'strikers'. Bennett has been ok but as I feared from Villa fans' reactions when we signed him, he's not as good as Ward & I can't even mention Bridge in the same sentance out of respect for Wayne. Gardner can hit some decent passes but offers very little else & alongside JFC and or Ince has def been part of one of the worst midfields in the league this season. My opinion of course!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bent might hack it in the Championship, although past records indicate League One is more his standard to a shine

Darren Bent, scorer of 106 Premier league goals, 20th on the all time Prem scorers' list, who has never played below the championship?

Even by your standards that is batshit mental.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Did I miss something? Particularly a controversial offside and Bent's efforts on target?

"In the 3-0 defeat to Derby he produced a really good finish with a classic header but it was controversially ruled out for offside. On that day he hit pretty much all of his efforts on target and most of them were well saved"

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Interesting that on the latest Albion Roar it was stated (can'tr remember by which of the four) that Darren Bent has been brought down to our level. I really thought he was an excellent signing when announced and the goal he scored against Fulham (plus the header the keeper knew nothing about) suggests that if he gets the service he'll score for fun at this level. Unfortunately one of those charged with giving him the service (and holding the midfield, and covering for the absent full backs) is Gary "Gash" Gardner who I'd personally rate at about a three. The sooner he goes back the better.

As for Joe Bennett

His only chance of making a fist out of his Villa career would have been to tear it up at Brighton and catch Lambert’s eye. Unfortunately he hasn’t done that,

He might not have torn it up but he's been easily the best of our loanees this season. He fits straight in to our system (even if that system is as mental as Perseus) and has lovely feet and balance. I STILL don't know how he scored from that angle against Rotherham (though he did create the problem himself). Shame he can't tackle.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Did I miss something? Particularly a controversial offside and Bent's efforts on target?

"In the 3-0 defeat to Derby he produced a really good finish with a classic header but it was controversially ruled out for offside. On that day he hit pretty much all of his efforts on target and most of them were well saved"

Looks like you might have missed his offside headed "goal", yes. Controversial? Dunno - I was with our lot down the other end of the pitch, so was pretty much perfectly positioned to have the worst view to verify offside or not, and, oddly, I have had no desire to watch the highlights. It happened at 2-0. Wouldn't have made any difference though; your lot would have just kept trying for a further 5 minutes, resulting in the restoration of your 3 goal lead.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Looks like you might have missed his offside headed "goal", yes. Controversial? Dunno - I was with our lot down the other end of the pitch, so was pretty much perfectly positioned to have the worst view to verify offside or not. It happened at 2-0. Wouldn't have made any difference though; your lot would have just kept trying for a further 5 minutes, resulting in the restoration of your 3 goal lead.

No, I saw and like you, no idea if it was but there were no complaints at all so I'm not sure how it was controversial. I just don't recall him having any other shots on goal - I'm not having a pop, I just thought it was a bit of an odd couple of lines on Bent.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
No, I saw and like you, no idea if it was but there were no complaints at all so I'm not sure how it was controversial. I just don't recall him having any other shots on goal - I'm not having a pop, I just thought it was a bit of an odd couple of lines on Bent.

No, I don't recall too much player complaint either. Like you, I don't remember him having too many (any?) other shots on goal. I know you're not having a pop - no offence taken. Good luck this season (other than when we play you at the AMEX) - you looked quality.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
No, I don't recall too much player complaint either. Like you, I don't remember him having too many (any?) other shots on goal. I know you're not having a pop - no offence taken. Good luck this season (other than when we play you at the AMEX) - you looked quality.

Cheers, same to you!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Bent- Can't really judge when he is being played in a shite team with no service
Bennett- Fairly Inconsistent but has put in some good performances, especially considering the crazy role he is being asked to play.
Gardner- Lazy useless ******* that does **** all except try the kind of 40 yard shots that go in once a season. Solid 6 or 7 every game? I don't think he has been above a 6 all season but he has certainly been below a 2 on more than one occasion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here