Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gullys Girls

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
When it was decided that Gullys Girls where non PC was the start of our clubs demise!
I may be wrong, but I seem to remember Bolton at home in around November 2012 (where we battered them all game and conceded a 97th minute equaliser) being the first time when Gully's Girls became the mixed gender Gully's Gang.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Being them back. Never understood why we got rid of them.

Look at Palace's equivalent. They are high profile and do an awful lot of good for their club just like Gully's Girls used to for us.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Being them back. Never understood why we got rid of them.
Was it something to do with other stuff that was going on at the time? Or was it the less sinister fact that they never really provided much value to our matchday experience? Let's be honest they never did!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Was it something to do with other stuff that was going on at the time? Or was it the less sinister fact that they never really provided much value to our matchday experience? Let's be honest they never did!

I believe that was a used as a very convenient excuse for getting rid of them.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
I thought they just became the Women' team....
At least they provided entertainment at half time.
Barber then realised this would mean we would not either leave our seat and spend on food or sit there and look at the adverts on the screen.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Jeez, we're clutching at straws now, aren't we?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Gully's Girls weren't binned because they "weren't PC". They were binned because- sorry, chaps, but look beyond the short skirts for a second- they weren't actually all that good. If you're going to have a bunch of dancers and pom-pom wavers, then they need to look professional and classy (if such a thing is possible) in this day & age. Most of the clubs that bother employ professional dance troupes to do the job, such as those ones at Palace.

Presumably if the Albion had wanted the same, rather than a group of highly enthusiastic but somewhat limited local girls, they'd have to pay for them. And perhaps that wasn't something they considered value for money at this particular time.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Gully's Girls weren't binned because they "weren't PC". They were binned because- sorry, chaps, but look beyond the short skirts for a second- they weren't actually all that good. If you're going to have a bunch of dancers and pom-pom wavers, then they need to look professional and classy (if such a thing is possible) in this day & age. Most of the clubs that bother employ professional dance troupes to do the job, such as those ones at Palace.

Presumably if the Albion had wanted the same, rather than a group of highly enthusiastic but somewhat limited local girls, they'd have to pay for them. And perhaps that wasn't something they considered value for money at this particular time.

Not sure this is the main reason they were binned - although certainly a fair point to make.

I remember reading Barber's programme notes on this. He got rid of them because they encouraged un PC behaviour among certain fans - it was one of those patronising diatribes he has a habit of writing sometimes. Certainly they weren't to everyone's taste, but I think more effort could have been made to keep them as part of the club's fabric. I for one, thought they were better when we were at the Withdean, they got shown up a bit more at the Amex but I still think Barber's treatment of them was pretty shabby.

If you go to an NBA or NFL game here in the US, cheerleaders are very much an accepted part of the match day experience. Given Barber's time at Vancouver, I'm surprised he didn't put more effort in to keeping them.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia

Couldn't we get the Palarse ones in on a loan from Jan to the end of the season? :drool:

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
I think we should reinstate them and ask them to bring their boots, that way the team can come out at half time and Gullys Girls get the full 90 mins, at least the gave a damn and were enthusiastic, we may win a game or two.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

Hold on, is this not the Amex COMMUNITY stadium. Where these not local girls doing something free for their local club and enjoying themselves doing it. Where they not the same girls who performed for a few years at the Withdean. Were they not the same girls who helped out at many AITC events and young seagull events, all for free? To me it is just another part of the Barber corporate bullshit that is dragging this club down. And another thing, is it really every moderators job to stand up for all things Albion at the moment, as it is certainly looking that way to me. With I must add, the only exception being LB. Sorry rant over.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not sure this is the main reason they were binned - although certainly a fair point to make.

I remember reading Barber's programme notes on this. He got rid of them because they encouraged un PC behaviour among certain fans - it was one of those patronising diatribes he has a habit of writing sometimes. Certainly they weren't to everyone's taste, but I think more effort could have been made to keep them as part of the club's fabric. I for one, thought they were better when we were at the Withdean, they got shown up a bit more at the Amex but I still think Barber's treatment of them was pretty shabby.

If you go to an NBA or NFL game here in the US, cheerleaders are very much an accepted part of the match day experience. Given Barber's time at Vancouver, I'm surprised he didn't put more effort in to keeping them.

I think the 'non-PC' behaviour was not just from fans, but from opposition directors and hangers-on in the boardroom.

Although even this may have been a 'cover story' for something else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here