Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Harveys just a tad over-rated??

Buckeejit

Sep 21, 2014
A while back in my local, I got chatting with a local councillor when he began enthusing about the wonders of Harveys as he proudly supped on a pint of the aforementioned local brew. I casually commented that I knew it was verging on sacrilege in these parts, but I personally felt that London Pride was a much nicer pint, to which he responded “If you really think that, you’re a ****-wit”

Taken aback to have my intelligence equated with my ale preferences, I also thought that said councillor was, as (originally) a Londoner, trying just a little too hard to establish his Sussex credentials by proclaiming such fierce allegiance to this local tipple. Don’t get me wrong, there have been rare occasions I’ve had a very decent pint of Harveys but far too often, it doesn’t hit the mark at all and I aint that impressed. Seems it needs to be exceptionally fresh/well kept to be at its best. If I was going to get into real-ale anorak mode, it wouldn’t get near my Top 10 whereas the likes of Timothy Taylor, Proper Job, Seafarers, Adnams Ghost Ship and Dark Star American Pale Ale would be right up there...

So, what do you lot reckon... Harveys, a tad over-rated, or not??

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No its isnt ' a tad overated' it is very overated and like you I think London Pride is far superior. The Harveys sold at The Amex IMHO is the worst possible and a bad advert even for Harveys.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Yes I am. The beer's divine though.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Where's me Pringles ?

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I'm still upset about them stopping selling Hophead at the Amex, Harveys is very average and not my first choice at all. Dark Star APA is one of my favorites.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
1 maybe 2 , then I start feeling like I am going to have very loose stools so I stop. London Pride is my favorite as well.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Shouldn't you change your name to "Man of Coors" or something now you're officially one of them?

Ha! Yes - plus I'm watered down and smell a bit like pee.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
London Pride is soooo boring. The fact expert on nothing BG rates it tells you all you need to know.

Can be boring but a well kept pint of it is far superior to the average Ouse water

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here