Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official " Best Mince Pie 2014 " Thread

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have tried the Asda Iced top ones and they are quite good, tried the Morrison's and they seem a bit tasteless this year, so, whats best ?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I've got Lidl, Waitrose, Tesco and Sainsbury within range and I really need to know what people think. I can't try them myself; I absolutely loathe the things.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Buy a sheet of ready-made puff pastry, a jar of mincemeat and a 12-hole muffin tin. Sorted :thumbsup:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Someone brought some home made ones into work last week, I'm going to find it hard to top that, although I'll give it my BEST effort.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Probably won't count but over here Baker's Delight make a frightfully good one.
$8.50 for 6, that is about 4.42 Pounds, have to eat the lot they, taste that good.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Probably won't count but over here Baker's Delight make a frightfully good one.
$8.50 for 6, that is about 4.42 Pounds, have to eat the lot they, taste that good.

They had better be good for that money, £1.25-£1.50 a box in Blighty.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Forget all the big supermarkets for one.

I went through a quest of this a year or two ago of my own as I love mince pies. I have tried almost every bakery / shop ect in sussex and the best by a long way is Truffles bakery in Steyning / Lancing.

You have to get the Brandy Butter ones though. They are expenisve (£2.50 for 4) but you cannot get better IMO.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
They had better be good for that money, £1.25-£1.50 a box in Blighty.

Perth is now one of the most expensive places on the planet.
A $200 shopping trolley 6 years ago now cost $450, it is getting cheaper to eat out than in and there is no shortage of eat out places.
In fact I have never seen so many anywhere else.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
Perth is now one of the most expensive places on the planet.
A $200 shopping trolley 6 years ago now cost $450, it is getting cheaper to eat out than in and there is no shortage of eat out places.
In fact I have never seen so many anywhere else.

Bloody hell - with the shift in exchange rates too I bet you don't have (m)any Expats out that way.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Bloody hell - with the shift in exchange rates too I bet you don't have (m)any Expats out that way.

Plenty of expats here, blood everywhere.
You can see in a way why the natives get a bit pissed about it.
There seems to be Irish and Scots on every corner.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
My favourites are fresh puff pastry mince pies from the bakery.
However Mrs Chopper has been to Lidl's and got some specially selected crumbly all butter 6 mince pies with brandy laced mincemeat.
They are great, heavy because they are full to the top with filling, very strong of brandy and then an aftertaste of butter from the pastry.
10/10 good old Lidl showing other supermarkets the way to go on price and quality.
BTW they are also selling Chassagne Montrachet at £22 a bottle my favourite white wine ( except Puligny Montrachet ) you would not see it in other supermarkets except Waitrose, absolute nectar in a bottle and usually around £30.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The Tesco finest mince pies that I had a couple of weeks ago were pretty good.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My favourites are fresh puff pastry mince pies from the bakery.
However Mrs Chopper has been to Lidl's and got some specially selected crumbly all butter 6 mince pies with brandy laced mincemeat.
They are great, heavy because they are full to the top with filling, very strong of brandy and then an aftertaste of butter from the pastry.
10/10 good old Lidl showing other supermarkets the way to go on price and quality.
BTW they are also selling Chassagne Montrachet at £22 a bottle my favourite white wine ( except Puligny Montrachet ) you would not see it in other supermarkets except Waitrose, absolute nectar in a bottle and usually around £30.

Was in Lidl today and all they had was a few packs of Mr Kiplings left :down:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Am I wrong in preferring custard with my mince pies.
I know cream is traditional but I adore custard.

Before I get shot down I dont buy £30 bottles of wine as a matter of course but £22 for Montrachet sorts my xmas treat out (see previous post)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here