Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which, if any, of our Amex era players would make the legends wall?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
That's the problem with recent Albion teams, and the present one. No single player even approaching legend status. A bunch of vanilla players.

Some will no doubt say Vicente, but he had nowhere near enough games to qualify.

Gordon Greer? Long serving? Comparatively, yes. Legend? No.

Ulloa? Not here long enough.

Calderon? Nice guy undoubtedly. Legend? No.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
The thing is they don't even have to be that good ability wise, someone who gives 100% every game and is prepared to get stuck in could easily be up there and be a crowd favourite, sadly something we are missing at the moment.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Hear what your saying but I'd vote for Vicente. He transformed expectations of what we & the other players could see at our club & no doubt made us credible for others to follow. & I think we may well see Greer as a legend when he's gone, I'm not sure I've ever seen a player so underappreciated & taken for granted - although not by successive managers

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The thing is they don't even have to be that good ability wise, someone who gives 100% every game and is prepared to get stuck in could easily be up there and be a crowd favourite, sadly something we are missing at the moment.

We had one of those, but half of the crowd, and half of the posters on here hated him.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ulloa ?

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
It will be CMS and Baldock who after all this loan fannying around will come back in January, score 20 goals each to propel us into the play-offs for the third successive season.

Is it too early in the day for a Christmas Sherry hic.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
We had one of those, but half of the crowd, and half of the posters on here hated him.

This. Barnes was a rich man's Gary Hart IMO- would run through brick walls for the team and his technical ability was seriously underrated.

On the rare occasions he played with Vicente, he seemed to be one of the few players who was anywhere near the same wavelength.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
For me Vicente was a legend. The fact he didn't play that much is irrelevant. All clubs have examples of astounding players they got fleeting glimpses of who enabled them to dare to dream. Can anyone say they were unmoved when they turned up at the Amex with the news that Vicente was starting, or when they saw him warming up as a sub on the touchline? These kinds of stories of superstars turning up on your doorstep one evening, blowing your mind and then waving goodbye a few hours later are the stuff of legends.

Oh, and Calde as well, of course.

Last edited:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
For me Vicente was a legend. The fact he didn't play that much is irrelevant. All clubs have examples of astounding players they got fleeting glimpses of who enabled them to dare to dream. Can anyone say they were unmoved when they turned up at the Amex with the news that Vicente was starting, or when they saw him warming up as a sub on the touchline? These kinds of stories of superstars turning up on your doorstep one evening, blowing your mind and then waving goodbye a few hours later are the stuff legends.

Oh, and Calde as well, of course.

Spot on

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That's the problem with recent Albion teams, and the present one. No single player even approaching legend status. A bunch of vanilla players.

Some will no doubt say Vicente, but he had nowhere near enough games to qualify.

Gordon Greer? Long serving? Comparatively, yes. Legend? No.

Ulloa? Not here long enough.

Calderon? Nice guy undoubtedly. Legend? No.

Vicente played more than Gotsmanov and he's a legend, albeit not recognized on the banners.

Oct 25, 2003
i don't think there has been a BUZZ about a player in the way that there was with vicente in my time supporting the club

he had the power to turn full grown men into excited children

"VICENTES WARMING UP! HE'S WARMING UP!" etc.

there would even be 5 page threads on here when there was the POSSIBILITY that he MIGHT make the bench that week

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Vicente was incredible. I hope one day to have the same feeling of excitement when he got the ball. Not one for the legends wall though IMO.

I'd suggest Ulloa should go on there. Only 18 months granted but his actions after make him a class act IMO. Not many players have come back to stand on the terraces after they've left. Especially someone who was here for such a short period of time.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
It is more a moments wall than a legends wall, for that reason I would like Buckley putting the ball in the net on 97 minutes vs Donny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here