Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When and why did football hooliganism stop?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Was with a workmate today going past Hove station and chatting in general and I was saying that in all my 50 + year in the town i have never had cause to use hove station and it led onto him recounting tales of being held back there on the bridge by the police back in the late 70's when on the way to the Goldstone for the footy and a punch up.
This led to the question When and why & how did football hooliganism stop?

Is there a definitive period in time when it all stopped.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Zero tolerance,heavy custodial sentences and cctv has practically ended it. You will always have the odd skirmish but nothing like the old days.

Probably at the turn of the 2000's

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think there's a popular theory that the summer of love '88 began the end, as lads had something else to look forward to and popping E's doesnt make fighters, then the advent of all seater and generally feeling enough was enough from both authorities and the fans in early 90's. Euro '96 made it into a family affair, wifes and girlfriends watched along down the pub and started going. probably not 100% accurate, but that 88-96 is the time period it all chaged.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Hillsborough & Heysa made the authorities concentrate on updating grounds & Maggies govn determined to tackle the hoolies.

Football in the early 80's was pretty sick, low crowds of mainly young men, crumbling grounds and running battles every weekend.

Some may yearn for things from the 'good old days' but football would not have survived and thrived as it has now. BUT, there's a lot in the new game for the traditional fan, nay 'customer', to despise.l

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
This doesn't exactly answer your question but it's a similar story with a number of crimes, such as vandalism. There was a time when windows were smashed and walls defaced as a routine thing but these days you don't see teenagers roaming the streets and damaging stuff in quite the same way - yes, we have the graffiti "artists" but that's not really the same thing, as they at least argue they're being creative. Maybe a few decades ago there were fewer things to occupy younger people's energies. Now everyone seems to have more choices and they're not drifting towards aggro in quite the numbers they were. Just a theory.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
It's nothing like the "glory days" but I wouldn't say it's stopped. Those involved have just got a bit wiser about how they go about it.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
it all came to a sad end in the nineties when good old fashioned proppa nawtee geezers like meself got too old and lardy to run after the oppo and too slow to evade the filf
now we all sit quietly in the east upper in our replica shirts chewing wine gums muttering obscenities to ourselves and clappimg the away attendance

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
running amok inside the stadium may be nearly extinct in this country, but it hasnt stopped.you are just less likely to hear about it..........walls have ears etc etc etc

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
i think there's a popular theory that the summer of love '88 began the end, as lads had something else to look forward to and popping E's doesnt make fighters, then the advent of all seater and generally feeling enough was enough from both authorities and the fans in early 90's. Euro '96 made it into a family affair, wifes and girlfriends watched along down the pub and started going. probably not 100% accurate, but that 88-96 is the time period it all chaged.

Was going to post the same thing. The E/rave culture of the late 80s/early 90s definitely had an impact on working class male behaviour.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
This my niece is a nurse at rsch she worked Friday ( millwall at home)night 3 stabbing and about 50 people with fighting injuries all football related she said it was a horrendous shift

Wow, that's slipped under the radar, where did any of it happen?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Like white dog poo, it's still there, but not as obvious with all the other sh*t going on in the world.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Definitely the house music culture of late 80s and early 90s made a huge difference.
I lost interest in football during these years. Attendances were shocking.
It was also all seater stadiums, Heysel and Hillsborough.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Wow, that's slipped under the radar, where did any of it happen?

Oh come on fella, the medical reports actually state

3 knife wounds due to accidents preparing corn beef sandwiches.
50 incidents head injuries due to banging heads on kitchen cupboard doors whilst making corn beef sandwiches.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
The e culture, cctv, banning orders and lets not forget the huge increase in money, sponsors and the media all helped end it in the early 90s, it still happens on occasion as there's still firms out there but rarely reported due to the money in football theae days and often any pre arrangedmeets are kept along way from stadiums.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here