Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

American Express

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Wallowing in a sense of foreboding and doom.

Does anyone know the length of the sponsorships agreed with American Express? Would they continue with the Albion by choice of we tumble back to Div 1? If they did, then presumably at a lower financial level.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
My understand is that the Stadium sponsorship was 10 years. I presume the Academy and Shirt deal runs in line with that if true

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Do you really think it makes much difference to amex whether its championship or league one. The premiership is the be all and end all.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I don't think they care either way it's more of a community involvement thing for them rather than a commercial interest.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Let's not forget the stadium naming rights were actually agreed while we were still a League 1 club.

I don't suppose it really makes any difference to them, but I can't imagine them being too happy at the prospect of less 'exposure' as a L1 club.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Everything about relegation will be a financial disaster. It'll set the club back years.

Tony needs to provide a massive FFP-busting January warchest to ensure it doesn't happen. Anything else is madness.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Everything about relegation will be a financial disaster. It'll set the club back years.

Tony needs to provide a massive FFP-busting January warchest to ensure it doesn't happen. Anything else is madness.

and give it all to Hyypia and Jones so they can spunk it up the wall.

Peter_Taylor

Dec 7, 2014
Storrington
Wallowing in a sense of foreboding and doom.

Does anyone know the length of the sponsorships agreed with American Express? Would they continue with the Albion by choice of we tumble back to Div 1? If they did, then presumably at a lower financial level.

I can't imagine Am Ex executives are all that happy about what they saw on Sky Sports on Friday.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I can't imagine Am Ex executives are all that happy about what they saw on Sky Sports on Friday.

I doubt any AMEX executives, unless they happen to be Albion or Millwall fans, would have been watching the game on Friday night. As another poster above mentions, this commercial agreement is a drop in the ocean for them in terms of their overall sponsorship activity.

They're more than likely doing it because they're the largest corporate employer in the area and it makes them look good from a social responsibility point of view.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I doubt any AMEX executives, unless they happen to be Albion or Millwall fans, would have been watching the game on Friday night. As another poster above mentions, this commercial agreement is a drop in the ocean for them in terms of their overall sponsorship activity.

They're more than likely doing it because they're the largest corporate employer in the area and it makes them look good from a social responsibility point of view.

This. Just so long as the club or fans do not bring any real negative publicity they carry on as normal. You didn't see Manchester United's Official Noodle Partner bale out when when the team slid in to chaos.

The only depressing thing about the American Express sponsorship that I can detect is that the parties seem to be re-writing history by claiming that this was a deal that was made by Tony Bloom, when in fact it was Dick Knight who brought the two parties together and persuaded American Express to get on board.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The only depressing thing about the American Express sponsorship that I can detect is that the parties seem to be re-writing history by claiming that this was a deal that was made by Tony Bloom, when in fact it was Dick Knight who brought the two parties together and persuaded American Express to get on board.

You well know that the winners write the history

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Dick Knight = Snowball ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Dick might well have been instrumental in bringing the parties together but I don't remember American Express coming in for the naming rights at Withdean.

Dick might well have been instrumental in bringing the parties together but I don't remember American Express coming in for the naming rights at Withdean.
They did come in with the sponsorship deal while we were still at Withdean, though - after DK struck a deal with Amex's Peter Godfrey in June 2008.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
They did come in with the sponsorship deal while we were still at Withdean, though - after DK struck a deal with Amex's Peter Godfrey in June 2008.

Not quite true Lord B, initial discussions were had then but announcing a deal when laying off hundreds of staff members due to the global economic situation wasn't on the agenda. The actual deal was agreed sometime later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here