Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Any Plumbers who work in Sarf London?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Bit of a long shot, I know! I'm looking for a plumber to do two jobs in my gf's flat in Camberwell:

1 - replace the valve system in her toilet which is leaking constantly. It's not a ball valve; instead it's a column type thing in the centre of the cistern. There is no in-line valve in the feed.

2 - This morning, all the pressure in her hot water went - it's just tap water; she doesn't have central heating. There's a pump in her airing cupboard with hot and cold inlet and outlet pipes - i.e. just one pump. I gave it a couple of whacks with a hammer and hey presto, hot water. But it's gonna go again, shirley? Who knows when? So, I suspect she needs a new pump.

Can anyone help or recommend someone please?

TIA.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Bit of a long shot, I know! I'm looking for a plumber to do two jobs in my gf's flat in Camberwell:

1 - replace the valve system in her toilet which is leaking constantly. It's not a ball valve; instead it's a column type thing in the centre of the cistern. There is no in-line valve in the feed.

2 - This morning, all the pressure in her hot water went - it's just tap water; she doesn't have central heating. There's a pump in her airing cupboard with hot and cold inlet and outlet pipes - i.e. just one pump. I gave it a couple of whacks with a hammer and hey presto, hot water. But it's gonna go again, shirley? Who knows when? So, I suspect she needs a new pump.

Can anyone help or recommend someone please?

TIA.

Hitting both with a hammer is the first thing I would do------not your girlfriend that is:eek:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Hitting both with a hammer is the first thing I would do------not your girlfriend that is:eek:

Pump - done! Temporary fix achieved. Wise? Possibly not, but I hoped it would dislodge what I suspect is crap around the spindle, meaning the impeller would spin again. Don't knock it - it worked.
Valve in loo? Not done - worried about potential of resulting geyser!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Pump - done! Temporary fix achieved. Wise? Possibly not, but I hoped it would dislodge what I suspect is crap around the spindle, meaning the impeller would spin again. Don't knock it - it worked.

Siphon in loo-----is it push button-----if so a £25.00 Wirquin should do the trick.
HOWEVER:ohmy: depending on a lot of plumbing terms it could take an hour to fit or more + extra materials.
I have no idea what her hot water system is like but by your description the flat is pumped hot water?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Siphon in loo-----is it push button-----if so a £25.00 Wirquin should do the trick.
HOWEVER:ohmy: depending on a lot of plumbing terms it could take an hour to fit or more + extra materials.
I have no idea what her hot water system is like but by your description the flat is pumped hot water?

Yeah, it's push button. I've changed something similar in one of my loos, but that had the benefit of an in-line valve so I could turn the inflow off. I guess I could have a stab at changing hers, but since I wouldn't know where to start with the pump, I might as well get a pro to sort the cistern valve at the same time.

Pumped hot water? Sounds right. The immersion heater is at the same level as the kitchen and bathroom hot water taps and below the level of the shower rose, yet there's a good pressure. Also, I can track a hot water pipe from the immersion heater to the pump and another pipe (which i assume is hot water distribution) from the pump.

Rowdey's given me a contact in the area, so I'll give them a call in the morning...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Having had very very bad experience in the South London area plumbing wise - Please take Rowdey's advice. On his recommendation nothing has leaked for years and what does in my house has nothing to do with him.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Yikes.. High Praise (No pressure then..!)

Cheers :thumbsup:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT hit the loo with a hammer:smile:

Crap round the spindle? I know the toilet isn't working but .........

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here