Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

German Shepherd

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Thinking of getting a German Shepherd or a similar type of dog like an Alaskan Shepherd...

I seem to keep hearing that they can have a lot of health problems especially the hind legs if they have a sloped back.

Anyone here own one and can tell me a little bit more about them/ experiences with them/ mixed breeds vs full?

Cheers :thumbsup:

boik

Thinking of getting a German Shepherd or a similar type of dog like an Alaskan Shepherd...

I seem to keep hearing that they can have a lot of health problems especially the hind legs if they have a sloped back.

Anyone here own one and can tell me a little bit more about them/ experiences with them/ mixed breeds vs full?

Cheers :thumbsup:

We chose a cross for that very reason. Meg is 75% GSD and 25% Black Lab. Straight back and wonderful temperment. Very gentle with our 1 year-old grandson.
View attachment 60979

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Remember that the government plans to introduce a 5P charge on carrier bags come next October and an Alsation is quite a big dog.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
My old German shepherd lasted 11yrs brilliant temperament but I suppose that depends on how the owner treats them. Most however do succumb to the hind leg issue

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Best dog I have ever had was a German shepherd, brilliant dogs, 13 years ours lasted before she had to be put down with stomach cancer.

Greek Seagull

Feb 22, 2009
Lancing
I have a six year old German Shepherd and he is my pride and joy. Superb temperament, great with kids and I wouldn't be without him. He does have the occasional moment where he takes a little while to get going if he's been laying down for a while but I just put that down to age, he's like me in that respect! I would thoroughly recommend them as a breed.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We had a German shepherd for many years, lovely temperament until one day he turned and the police said we couldn't keep any longer.

Now a successful farmer in Bavaria I believe...!!:amex:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
[QUOTE=5mins

Mine also had Stomach cancer, Vet told us he wouldn't have shown us any pain because they just want to please us. We only found out 2-days before he had to be put down

:moo:

Attachments

• KESTREL 061.JPG
    KESTREL 061.JPG
    327.9 KB · Views: 384

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Don't GSD's still have to have a hip score certificate from the breeder or something?

Anyway, in my experience cross breeds usually make for much healthy and better temperament dogs than pedigrees, in general.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
All you could hear post-Millwall outside the Amex was the barking of German Shepherds in the back of dog squad cars lined up along the fence by the bike racks.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Don't GSD's still have to have a hip score certificate from the breeder or something?

Any reputable breeder would do this. Would certainly not consider any pup that had not had both parents Hip scored. Elbow and Eye tests/scores are also recommended.

I've been training a GS recently, absolute softy and been very easy to train with owner. Lovely dog.

boik

All you could hear post-Millwall outside the Amex was the barking of German Shepherds in the back of dog squad cars lined up along the fence by the bike racks.

That's becuase they were "at work". Dogs can instantly go from work mode to play mode and back again when they're trained. Police dogs can bring down a thug one minute and go home and play nicely with kids the next. I seem to remember that a lot of police dogs go home to families in the evening.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Anyway, in my experience cross breeds usually make for much healthy and better temperament dogs than pedigrees, in general.

Wow I remember all this stuff and hip scores etc when we got our Lab 11 years ago, do what you gotta do but I am not aware that German Shepherds are particularly at risk.

I think all of the bigger breeds have some hip problems, mine runs like a rocking horse but he is doing fine

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here