Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How to NOT get a fine at the Dartford crossing !!

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
So you pay them £2.50 a crossing and they pay the government £1.67, and for that 83p you get a week to pay rather than 24 hours

I make that a tidy 2019% rate of interest.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Why not just put a few quid on a Dart Card and each crossing is only about £1.70 which is cheaper than it was before.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Why not just put a few quid on a Dart Card and each crossing is only about £1.70 which is cheaper than it was before.

Exactly this, apart from the price, wasn't it £1.50 before?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Nope it has been £2 for a while.

You know, my brain just wouldn't work when I typed that, I go over the crossing 3 or 4 times a month, and I claim it back on expenses, but I just couldn't remember how much it was. I signed up for the Dartcharge NPR thing last month and so far it's recorded me correctly both times I've been through, only slightly cheeky bit is that they insist you have at least £10 in your account, and automatically top it up by £10 as soon as the figure drops below £10.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dont get it. how do they make any money if they only charge the amount you pay anyway? afaics they just pay on your behalf and let you pay later. thing is, if you know about their site, you know about the charge, you know you are going over the crossing... not exactly going to be unexpected and forgotten about. you'd pay on the official site or on the advance card.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Their website is a little unprofessional looking, IMHO. I trust this isn't some sort of scam to fleece dopey motorists (like one of those passport-checking services who used to pop up on Google and mug off people wanting to ensure their passport application form had been completed correctly).

What's with the obsession about the FRENCH company running the Crossing these days? Did I mention they're FRENCH? Unbelievable. The Government has the FRENCH involved.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Their website is a little unprofessional looking, IMHO. I trust this isn't some sort of scam to fleece dopey motorists (like one of those passport-checking services who used to pop up on Google and mug off people wanting to ensure their passport application form had been completed correctly).

What's with the obsession about the FRENCH company running the Crossing these days? Did I mention they're FRENCH? Unbelievable. The Government has the FRENCH involved.

Could u just clarify that its a FRENCH company ..i'm not totally sure.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

Did you say the French are running the bridge?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
dont get it. how do they make any money if they only charge the amount you pay anyway? afaics they just pay on your behalf and let you pay later. thing is, if you know about their site, you know about the charge, you know you are going over the crossing... not exactly going to be unexpected and forgotten about. you'd pay on the official site or on the advance card.

They charge you £2.50 per crossing, which is the standard PAYG rate. Your car number plate is registered to their account, which they are only billed 1.67 for each crossing. So their money is made in the difference between the PAYG rate and the Dartcharge discounted rate.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

For someone like me that doesn't use the crossing on a regular basis this scheme seems ideal. It's not worth my while putting money on a Dart Card and the few days grace for payment means that if I have used the crossing on a trip I can sort out what is owed on my return.

They obviously make their money from all the 80p savings they make by registering the car numbers with DartCharge - this presumaby is why you can't be registered with both DartCharge and DartSave.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

Quite apart from the fact that several transport ministers over the past 50 years or so have said the Dartford crossings will be free [when the tunnel has paid for itself] [when the bridge has paid for itself], and the ongoing cost to be absorbed into the rest of the county's roads funding budget. Both have been paid for many times over from toll charging, and not content with carrying on fleecing the motorist, they give the ****ing profits to a foreign company.

FFS Britain, wake up, we're being mugged, what is the problem with keeping these things within our own country? Half our trains are owned by Europeans or Chinese, the profits from generating our electricity feed back into overseas power companies, sod just privatising the NHS, at this rate they'll sub it all out to Egypt or Brazil.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
They charge you £2.50 per crossing, which is the standard PAYG rate. Your car number plate is registered to their account, which they are only billed 1.67 for each crossing. So their money is made in the difference between the PAYG rate and the Dartcharge discounted rate.

i see. still missing why anyone would use their service rather than simply register and pre-pay for the official version. but hey a lot of people spend money on stuff they dont need, so good luck to them i suppose.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
i see. still missing why anyone would use their service rather than simply register and pre-pay for the official version.

I think the point is, if you use theirs, you don't need to put your money in an account. You don't have to recharge your account with £10, and top it up as soon as the account goes below £10. Plus they don't fine you if you forget to pay within 24 hours, you get 7 days to pay it, as well as a reminder email.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
i see. still missing why anyone would use their service rather than simply register and pre-pay for the official version. but hey a lot of people spend money on stuff they dont need, so good luck to them i suppose.

To prepay you have to deposit a minimum of £10 with DartCharge - hardly economical if you rarely use the crossing.

If you do use it without prepayment you only have to the end of the following day to pay or else get a £70 fine - a real pain if you are going away for a few days - with DartSave you could pay for both crossings, inwards and outwards, in one go on your return.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I'd wonder if this site is nothing new, do they do something similar on French toll roads and bridges?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I think the point is, if you use theirs, you don't need to put your money in an account. You don't have to recharge your account with £10, and top it up as soon as the account goes below £10. Plus they don't fine you if you forget to pay within 24 hours, you get 7 days to pay it, as well as a reminder email.

You're right to be concerned. That £10 held on a Dart card could have been invested and after a year would have earned you 10 pence.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here