Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A (possible) theory on why Sami is still here...

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
Talking to a mate of mine last night who came up with what could be 'the plan'.

We all know that recruitment has been poor and that whilst we have played ok in some games we have generally been let down by lack of finishing or defensive mistakes. Perhaps the board have agreed with Sami (privately) that players such as COG, Toko, Kemy are not a good fit and that they actually highlight who he wants in January.

Let's say the players that went out on loan are not in our plans and that we have already agreed deals in private to sign 3, 4 or even 5 players that are best suited to Sami's system and what he wants. If this is true then sacking Sami now would be pointless as the new manager may not want those players and we are back to square one with a new manager that has players that he won't play. (Such as Toko who was wanted by Oscar)

Naylor seems to think we will be very busy from the off in January , what if we have already done a lot of the business ahead of time for a change?

As I say, it is only one viewpoint but do you think it could actually be what is happening?

I personally cannot see any reason other than something like this being the case as Sami is still here!!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
To be fair to the OP, it sounds like a reasonable theory, albeit a potentially expensive one.

What we have to hope is that he's not just sitting on his hands hoping something will change. I think we've seen enough to realise that isn't going to happen.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'd say that there are 2 far more obvious reasons: The first (my guess) is that TB does not see the point in sacking SH without a decent replacement in place and is currently working hard at trying to tap up a replacement - I'm sure these press rumours about Pulis and Sherwood have some basis. The second is that he genuinely believes that SH has been given a raw deal and, with the more flexible FFP regs in place, is planning on giving him a transfer wedge to spend in January.

Edit: having re-read properly, my second scenario is pretty much what you're suggesting. Carry on.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
It would be expensive but not as expensive as sacking Sami, signing those players anyway, employing a new manager who struggles and ultimately we get relegated anyway.

It would be a gamble of course but Bloom likes a gamble!

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
I'd say that there are 2 far more obvious reasons: The first (my guess) is that TB does not see the point in sacking SH without a decent replacement in place and is currently working hard at trying to tap up a replacement - I'm sure these press rumours about Pulis and Sherwood have some basis. The second is that he genuinely believes that SH has been given a raw deal and, with the more flexible FFP regs in place, is planning on giving him a transfer wedge to spend in January.

So your second theory is in agreement with what my mate hopes is the case

(Edit): Just seen your edit!

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
The only problem with your mates theory is that it presumes that Sami can get the best out of any new signings. While I think everyone would accept that he has been dealt a poor hand with the summer signings. The fact is even the squad we have now is not a 'bottom three squad'. The tactics and the Manager have to take a significant proportion of the blame here and while signing some better players might get us out of the shit temporarily, Sami is not going to suddenly become a tactical genius...

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
I hope it is the case, we can only dream of some decent players coming in the window. I fear its going to be journey men and also rans and we will just about stay up.

If we stay up then job done.

I'm not sure we would sign real 'quality' but at least players that could play Sami's system well. On the other hand, the press today reckon that Leeds may be forced to sell some top earners because of the FFP embargo they have and maybe we can cherry pick one or two bargains?

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I really hope this isn't the case. I am sad to say that I don't believe Sami could manage us out of a wet paper bag even if his ultimate wishlist of superstar players were signed. it would be a waste of money.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sadly, I think the more plausible theory is simply one of financial considerations, and stubborness.

The club would love Sami to give up and resign, so they can 'reluctantly accept' and move on at little or no cost. So they are playing a (dangerous) waiting game.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I hope your mates theory is correct and the players not wanted are either sold or sent back to their clubs and we bring in quality replacements. Expensive but no more so than the alternatives which are also not guaranteed to succeed.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We have developed a passing style and to throw it all away now to employ a Manager with a different style and outlook would be counter-productive. Rational rather than the emotional (=hysterical) way of looking at it.

We are still the second best passing side in the Championship, high up in the possession stakes, high up in shots per game and average in most statistics.

We do not even lose possession more than average, just at important times when we are over elaborate playing the ball out of defence.

Our tactics are not inferior. Team selection might seem not suited to the opposition. Recruitment is patchy at best and not really building a team but more like employing players with technical ability and trying, unsuccessfully so far, to mould them into a unit. Pre-season has been disrupted for the last two seasons.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
The only problem with your mates theory is that it presumes that Sami can get the best out of any new signings. While I think everyone would accept that he has been dealt a poor hand with the summer signings. The fact is even the squad we have now is not a 'bottom three squad'. The tactics and the Manager have to take a significant proportion of the blame here and while signing some better players might get us out of the shit temporarily, Sami is not going to suddenly become a tactical genius...

I also agree with you to a degree but it could be argued that so many loan players in the team would mean they are not all playing to their maximum potential and also there have been games this season where the tactics did work but we didn't put away the chances and defensive mistakes cost us.

If we get a bit of quality at both ends of the team plus a proper ball winning midfielder (Diarra?) we may actually start reaping some rewards?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Maybe we were in talks with Steve Clarke who, at 1/5 this morning is certain to be secured as Readings new boss, and they've done us once more by non dithering

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here