Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackburn, Leeds and Nottingham Forest handed transfer embargoes

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Blackburn, Leeds and Nottingham Forest have been given transfer embargoes for the rest of the season for breaching Financial Fair Play rules.

The Championship trio have been handed the bans for not meeting the Football League's Fair Play Requirement.

Under existing rules, clubs were permitted to lose no more than £3m a season, with a maximum of £5m of shareholder investment in 2013-14.

The clubs will still be allowed to sign players in January if they have 24 or fewer players over the age of 21 who have made at least five starting appearances for the club in total.

Any of these signings must not cost the club a transfer fee and must cost less than £600,000 a year.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Blackburn, Leeds and Nottingham Forest have been given transfer embargoes for the rest of the season for breaching Financial Fair Play rules.

The Championship trio have been handed the bans for not meeting the Football League's Fair Play Requirement.

Under existing rules, clubs were permitted to lose no more than £3m a season, with a maximum of £5m of shareholder investment in 2013-14.

The clubs will still be allowed to sign players in January if they have 24 or fewer players over the age of 21 who have made at least five starting appearances for the club in total.

Any of these signings must not cost the club a transfer fee and must cost less than £600,000 a year.

Meanwhile QPR go unpunished, great system that

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

They have to pay a massive fine, which accrues interest if it isn't paid.
If they don't pay it, & get relegated, the Football League will refuse to admit them, & they go to the Conference.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
they are in a different league, which has different FFP

But if they get relegated, they cannot play in the Football League until the fine is paid...........well that is the plan

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But, according to many I debated with in the past they wont do this and it's a restraint of trade etc etc blah blah blah.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
It's pointless and points should be deducted full stop

Too late for those already promoted.

The SCMP< (Salary Cost Management Protocol), in force in Leagues 1 and 2 is a much simpler and more effective system - player wages can't exceed a fixed percentage of turnover with figures reported to the League each month. In addition IF an owner wants to spend more than that percentage then they can so long as the money used to do so is invested in the club as equity and not as a loan.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Should have included us in the embargo - to save us from p***ing more money away. If there are no changes and more money is made available for transfers (as suggested) then I can't trust Burke to spend it wisely nor Hyppia to effectively use the excessive playing resources at his disposal. May as well spend the money subsidising our tickets so that we can at least watch this s**t more cheaply.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
QPR and Leicester still have to be 'processed', so news on them later.

A few clubs are also still in discussion with the FL. There may be more embagos.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
So is barber overpaid if all the others manage to do it? Can't see them having a CEO earning 450k, and selling players for combined £15m!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
So is barber overpaid if all the others manage to do it? Can't see them having a CEO earning 450k, and selling players for combined £15m!

Except that obviously that isn't all he does.
And, besides, where is it stated that Barber earns £450k?!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
So if we had broken FFP and put together a squad that could challenge for promotion, we just wouldn't be able to buy anyone in January??? Bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, if you ask me.....But hang on, Mr Bloom told us we had a squad that could challenge for promotion!!!!!..So I guess it must be the manager that is shite then??? Or maybe just everyone at the club is deluded.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A lot of that was due to bonuses for achieving FFP targets.

Banking aside, I wonder which other industries you can get rewarded so handsomely for racking up debts of 8 and 13 million respectively? Football is a strange game.

Banking aside, I wonder which other industries you can get rewarded so handsomely for racking up debts of 8 and 13 million respectively? Football is a strange game.

I guess any bonus would depend on whether you'd achieved the objectives laid down by the Board of Directors, that's how it works for most CEO's/MD's. I don't know where you've got these debt figures from but there hasn't yet been a set of annual results published where PB has been in post for the entire financial year. I think the club's debt as of 30/06/2013 was a tad over £100M.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Personally, I feel paying third division players like Kevin Doyle or Jamie O'Hara (at the time) over £30k per week for getting relegated and underperforming is a greater concern than a few CEOs.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Personally, I feel paying third division players like Kevin Doyle or Jamie O'Hara (at the time) over £30k per week for getting relegated and underperforming is a greater concern than a few CEOs.

I think paying any player £30k per week is a great concern-even more so for clubs outside the PL.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here