Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MAS

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Anyone else catch the news on BBC5Live, the agency set up to help with debt advice, The Money Advisory Service (MAS), appears to have spent £60,000,000 running it's website and a further £50,000,000 on advertising. Now call me a cynic but wouldn't £110,000,000 plus staffing and administration costs have gone a awfully long way to helping these people in the first place without lining the pockets of some quango boss?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Anyone else catch the news on BBC5Live, the agency set up to help with debt advice, The Money Advisory Service (MAS), appears to have spent £60,000,000 running it's website and a further £50,000,000 on advertising. Now call me a cynic but wouldn't £110,000,000 plus staffing and administration costs have gone a awfully long way to helping these people in the first place without lining the pockets of some quango boss?

Seems too many 000's to me.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Seems too many 000's to me.

That's what I thought, but, apparently, that's the figure. There are calls for a public inquiry, and there needs to be, some of that is my money!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I don't see how their ad campaigns can have cost that either - few very cheap ads generally being played in cheap airtime; some outdoor and print is all I've seen. Even over a few years that's a major advertising spend.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
And they've previously been criticised for basically being completely useless.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert, spoke about costs outside of their normal budget and gave the figures above. I'll re-listen tonight. Either way it's a huge amount of money in administration of a service designed to support those with NO money!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
That's what I thought, but, apparently, that's the figure. There are calls for a public inquiry, and there needs to be, some of that is my money!

Jeeeez, can only assume vested interest, you watch chairman and directors having a stake in newly set up advertising and website companies !!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
And they've previously been criticised for basically being completely useless.

To be fair, I'd say that criticism is unfair to those that are completely useless, this goes way beyond that.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
They've also recently refurbished their offices to a very high standard - and at a not inconsequential cost!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sorry £60mm running a website?

of course not, but consultants and many, many managers working on a project do add up. this is what we pay our taxes on, this is why there is so much rump that can be cut.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
of course not, but consultants and many, many managers working on a project do add up. this is what we pay our taxes on, this is why there is so much rump that can be cut.

Agreed, there 650 odd MPs and thousands of Civil Servants, they all have Brothers, Sisters, In-Laws, Mums and Dads all of whom need to set up their own companies, ensuring the spouses get shares to spread the love

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here