Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How was your day at work dear?

m.c.hamster

Jul 9, 2003
Well I arrived about 5.30pm and after a briefing I took my regular place in the North Stand.

After the gates had opened one of my fellow stewards pointed out that there was a couple of people who where very hostile. No problems as we are not playing well and emotions are running high.
After Millwall scored one male stood on his seat and was told to get down.

###. We encourage people not to do this. If they fall and injure themselves we will be sued and it will be my fault. ###

We did try to explain this but it was impossible to do so as the group repeatedly told us to f@ck off, called us c@nts, issued threats of violence, pushed me and my colleague and bizarrely wanted us to sort out the Millwall fans when they broke through the steward lines.

Some other fans joined the group berating us, but other fans told then to shut up and get behind the team but apparently those fans were also c@nts and twats.

I also had coins thrown at me. One did hit me on the back but a padded coat stopped any injury. My supervisor was hit on the leg and we have identified the rich male who can afford to throw money around.

Before one male went home he took time to call me a w@nker a **** and a f@cking c@nt. and according to this educated young man the ref, linesman, Sami Hyypia, all the players and all stewards are also f@cking c@nts. Brief posturing in a poor attempt to get on the pitch followed and swearing a bit more atMillwall fans.

So yes a lovely day at the office dear. And of course this was all to help our lads overturn an early reverse at the hands of a mediocre Millwall team.

I earn minimum wage for being a steward but love it as I have been a lifelong Brighton fan (57 now). I hope you all have a calmer day at your jobs.

Oh and I will be there for the next game

m.c.hamster

Jul 9, 2003
It's not quite that simple. You cannot enter a hostile crowd alone. You need Police and response teams. And of course when you do that the club are accused of being heavy handed.

We will complete interventions at the turnstiles when they arrive for the next match.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Interesting view on the opposite side of the coin (no pun intended).

People are happy to dish it out, seemingly able to forget in that moment that the people they're abusing like pieces of dirt are people as well.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Stewards are people?..I thought that when I was in the South West corner.
I moved to the North West and I now find them quite the opposite.(confrontational...)
If only I could make the meeting this thursday to discuss the "atmosphere"...
I actually feel like the away fan where I sit based on the number of stewards looking at you ...

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
It's not quite that simple. You cannot enter a hostile crowd alone. You need Police and response teams. And of course when you do that the club are accused of being heavy handed.

We will complete interventions at the turnstiles when they arrive for the next match.

Going to the Den to pick up the lot from Millwall that caused the real trouble....or will you meet your targets by picking up a few locals?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Going to the Den to pick up the lot from Millwall that caused the real trouble....or will you meet your targets by picking up a few locals?

he will "meet targets" by picking up those locals that where insulting and abusive of course. put a marker on yourself, expect to get targeted. no need to be abusing the stewards when supposedly there to watch a football game. Millwall club and local plod will deal with those identified up there.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I earn minimum wage for being a steward but love it as I have been a lifelong Brighton fan (57 now). I hope you all have a calmer day at your jobs.

If you are a life long Brighton fan why not just buy a ticket and watch the game like everyone else?

Sounds like you had a shit night but you don't get any sympathy from me because it come with the territory I'm afraid.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
he will "meet targets" by picking up those locals that where insulting and abusive of course. put a marker on yourself, expect to get targeted. no need to be abusing the stewards when supposedly there to watch a football game. Millwall club and local plod will deal with those identified up there.

Targeted, I probably will be and charged with impersonating a fan for sitting in my seat and watching everything going on... ....Still made better viewing than the game..

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Quality statement, I love that.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Seriously, who throws coins? What complete and utter c*ck dribbles would do that?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Well I arrived about 5.30pm and after a briefing I took my regular place in the North Stand.

After the gates had opened one of my fellow stewards pointed out that there was a couple of people who where very hostile. No problems as we are not playing well and emotions are running high.
After Millwall scored one male stood on his seat and was told to get down.

###. We encourage people not to do this. If they fall and injure themselves we will be sued and it will be my fault. ###

We did try to explain this but it was impossible to do so as the group repeatedly told us to f@ck off, called us c@nts, issued threats of violence, pushed me and my colleague and bizarrely wanted us to sort out the Millwall fans when they broke through the steward lines.

Some other fans joined the group berating us, but other fans told then to shut up and get behind the team but apparently those fans were also c@nts and twats.

I also had coins thrown at me. One did hit me on the back but a padded coat stopped any injury. My supervisor was hit on the leg and we have identified the rich male who can afford to throw money around.

Before one male went home he took time to call me a w@nker a **** and a f@cking c@nt. and according to this educated young man the ref, linesman, Sami Hyypia, all the players and all stewards are also f@cking c@nts. Brief posturing in a poor attempt to get on the pitch followed and swearing a bit more atMillwall fans.

So yes a lovely day at the office dear. And of course this was all to help our lads overturn an early reverse at the hands of a mediocre Millwall team.

Oh and I will be there for the next game

It's very similar in our house when the kids start squabbling really.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If you are a life long Brighton fan why not just buy a ticket and watch the game like everyone else?

Sounds like you had a shit night but you don't get any sympathy from me because it come with the territory I'm afraid.

Precisely this. Part of the job is dealing with drunk and/or emotional people who might give them grief, they knew that when they signed up. I don't like heights and for that very reason, I've never thought about a career as a tightrope walker.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Precisely this. Part of the job is dealing with drunk and/or emotional people who might give them grief, they knew that when they signed up. I don't like heights and for that very reason, I've never thought about a career as a tightrope walker.

It certainly may well be part of the job, but no "sympathy" is a little heartless. I certainly wouldn't want to do it, and I whole heartedly sympathise with someone who takes a job and has to deal with scum who feel it's appropriate to physically and verbally abuse a fellow human being because, aww diddums, their football team aren't playing well.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It certainly may well be part of the job, but no "sympathy" is a little heartless. I certainly wouldn't want to do it, and I whole heartedly sympathise with someone who takes a job and has to deal with scum who feel it's appropriate to physically and verbally abuse a fellow human being because, aww diddums, their football team aren't playing well.

I agree but if you're going to take on the job of a steward then be prepared for what goes with it ... like you I wouldn't do it.

If sympathy is on the agenda then spare a thought for the youngsters serving beer in the away end. They don't sign up for crowd control duties but you only have to be on the South concourse for some away games to understand what they have to sometimes deal with

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
I was sworn at and threatened on Friday; and I paid to get in (happily not by BHA fans though). So, at least you were a few quid up on the night. Every cloud and all that.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

Weirdly, I can't decide whether I agree with you or not.

Whilst it definitely should be expected that stewarding any event provides a fairly high chance of running into a moron or two, that very mentality ('it's expected') is probably part of the reasons that those causing problems do it in the first place, similar to those that create an almighty mess at the workplace then shrug it off as 'there are cleaners'.

It's not technically 'wrong', but there should be a degree of human decency in there somewhere, rather than just acting up because you can.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here