Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An Apology to Gus Poyet

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
I was very vocal in my lack of support for GP in the latter part of his tenure. My problem was his ego and his wish to 1 day manage every single other club in the world. Anyway my biggest problem was when he claimed that we had reached our ceiling. This whilst we were in the midst of a play off push to the premier league. I genuinely believe Gus was in saying this was attempting to get the shown the door.How could we have hit the ceiling? We were ****ing brilliant. Being a fickle fan i thought we were on a fine footing and when Gus was sacked i was extremely pleased. Fast forward 18 months and i think we can all see that we have not just hit the ceiling, but blown the whole roof off. I hate to say I am wrong (because i never am) but i was completely wrong when it came to my lack of support for Gus. Seeing what a shambles we are in now makes me think of all the good times we had under his tenure and how much i miss his style of football (there i said it). He was'nt perfect but he knew how to motivate a team. Something Sammi Hyypia will never be capable of. Be careful what you wish for.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The good times will return under a 'new Gus' one day.

But for this to happen, Sami needs to be gone.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
To be honest, although the board dealt with the situation pretty horrendously I get the impression Gus would have moved on to a Premiership team regardless.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
The one thing i agree with Gus about is the alleged quote of "they will undo all the good work i have done here within 2 years".
less than 2 years on ............

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
I was very vocal in my lack of support for GP in the latter part of his tenure. My problem was his ego and his wish to 1 day manage every single other club in the world. Anyway my biggest problem was when he claimed that we had reached our ceiling. This whilst we were in the midst of a play off push to the premier league. I genuinely believe Gus was in saying this was attempting to get the shown the door.How could we have hit the ceiling? We were ****ing brilliant. Being a fickle fan i thought we were on a fine footing and when Gus was sacked i was extremely pleased. Fast forward 18 months and i think we can all see that we have not just hit the ceiling, but blown the whole roof off. I hate to say I am wrong (because i never am) but i was completely wrong when it came to my lack of support for Gus. Seeing what a shambles we are in now makes me think of all the good times we had under his tenure and how much i miss his style of football (there i said it). He was'nt perfect but he knew how to motivate a team. Something Sammi Hyypia will never be capable of. Be careful what you wish for.

Wooooooooooooooooah, easy there mate, bit of rose tinting I think. Poyet is an absolute ****.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
"I have plans to stay in Brighton: the way I see it, as a manager, either you go to a top, top team or you stay at one club and try and create something." - Gus Poyet
Or you apply for the Reading job :lolol:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
...to try to coerce the board to meet your ambitions.

He was one of the longest serving managers in the FL. We could have kept him, FFP was no excuse at that time.

Do you honestly believe that we could have kept him? He made it blatantly clear in the final months of his tenure that he'd rather be anywhere else. The team he picked for the second leg vs. Palace was almost a resignation in itself!

I do miss those days under him though...

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Anyone slagging off GP while he was here is probably stupid enough to believe that he's now the Messiah. He was a bloody good manger but was always destined to go. One thing I would say though, it seems a bit dumb to sack him and go through the legal implications when he was probably going to leave anyway and we could have got some compensation. How do these guys get so rich and not end up on the streets?

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Wooooooooooooooooah, easy there mate, bit of rose tinting I think. Poyet is an absolute ****.

A **** who got us playing good football. I could'nt give a shit if he was a **** or not. Alex Ferguson was a ****, He didn't do too bad. Its what happens on the pitch that counts.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Anyone slagging off GP while he was here is probably stupid enough to believe that he's now the Messiah. He was a bloody good manger but was always destined to go. One thing I would say though, it seems a bit dumb to sack him and go through the legal implications when he was probably going to leave anyway and we could have got some compensation. How do these guys get so rich and not end up on the streets?

So true. Was this an ego trip on the part of Barber and Bloom.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
A **** who got us playing good football. I could'nt give a shit if he was a **** or not. Alex Ferguson was a ****, He didn't do too bad. Its what happens on the pitch that counts.

This I have to agree with. Poyet was a knob. But he did get us playing well. I do not care to much wether i like a manager on a personal level. I like a manager who gets results for BHA.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Ha ha, what an absolutely shite thread.

Poyet is a wanker, we are well rid of him.

Sami is clueless, we will be well rid of him soon.

Then we will climb the table.

Anyone backing Poyet now needs to go and soak their head in something.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
This I have to agree with. Poyet was a knob. But he did get us playing well. I do not care to much wether i like a manager on a personal level. I like a manager who gets results for BHA.

Playing well true.
Able to score goals, er, no.

Able to attack with pace, no again.

Able to react and change if things weren't going well, that'd be a third no.

Good riddance Poyet.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The team he picked for the second leg vs. Palace was almost a resignation in itself!

You mean this team?

Kuszczak
03 Greer
14 Calderon (LuaLua - 72' )
20 Upson
28 Bridge
04 Hammond
11 Orlandi (Barnes - 64' )
21 David Lopez
26 Bridcutt
30 Buckley
19 Ulloa

What was wrong with it? Who would you have picked instead?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here