Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion - a most remarkable football club

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Despite all the bickering and in-fighting going on right now, I'd hope there is one thing that we can all agree on: Brighton & Hove Albion is a pretty remarkable football club.

Our back story is pretty much unrivalled in British football, and almost certainly beyond these shores as well. The demise of the Goldstone, the triumph at Edgar Street, the Gillingham exile, the return to Brighton, the almost endless campaigning which finally resulted in the Temple of Bloom, the fairytale opening day comeback to beat Doncaster and the oh-so-close attempts to reach the promised land of the Premier League. Remarkable, truly remarkable.

Is another chapter of remarkable-ness being written right now? When almost every other football club would have parted ways with Sami Hyypia by now, the Albion seem to be standing firm. Showing loyalty in the face of adversity, considerable fan pressure and giving him every chance possible to turn it round. It would be one hell of a comeback if Hyypia did manage to drag us out of this most boggy mire.

(Looking forward to the insta-replies suggesting that Paul Barber has paid me to write this)

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
So is the train of thought that Sami does indeed have the qualities to recover this problem or is it 'we did not get it wrong and will not make a knee-jerk reaction'? Big decision.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Almost poetic, if I didn't feel so gloomy and demoralised, I might be inclined to reverse my decision to stop attending, its over for me for the time being.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Despite all the bickering and in-fighting going on right now, I'd hope there is one thing that we can all agree on: Brighton & Hove Albion is a pretty remarkable football club.

Our back story is pretty much unrivalled in British football, and almost certainly beyond these shores as well. The demise of the Goldstone, the triumph at Edgar Street, the Gillingham exile, the return to Brighton, the almost endless campaigning which finally resulted in the Temple of Bloom, the fairytale opening day comeback to beat Doncaster and the oh-so-close attempts to reach the promised land of the Premier League. Remarkable, truly remarkable.

Is another chapter of remarkable-ness being written right now? When almost every other football club would have parted ways with Sami Hyypia by now, the Albion seem to be standing firm. Showing loyalty in the face of adversity, considerable fan pressure and giving him every chance possible to turn it round. It would be one hell of a comeback if Hyypia did manage to drag us out of this most boggy mire.

(Looking forward to the insta-replies suggesting that Paul Barber has paid me to write this)

I'll stick my head above the parapet to say i entirely agree.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Yep - we are remarkably stubborn, and in the last 18 months brilliant at producing manager crises. When everyone can see from his own body language that Hyypia doesn't really want to be here, we're going to keep him in a job until relegation is unavoidable. Remarkable, remarkable. And yes I read the first post thinking there must be satire in there somewhere, but no.... it's all real. Let's keep Hyypia who might never pick a sensible selection again, because our back story is remarkable. It doesn't add up.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Maybe not paid but you need to keep your brownie points up somehow in order to continue to show people how much you are in the know without actually saying anything.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
That is a ridiculous post. The point is that Hyppia has shown zero tactical acumen for nigh on half a season. Everything else is irrelevant as he will not turn it around. When is enough enough?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
We know we're on the wrong track when people have to resort to posts such as Bozza's.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
I'm trying to think of a time when we actually had a mediocre season finishing in mid-table obscurity. Mickey Adams first season in L2 when we just missed out on the play offs? It's never dull that's for sure.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Paying you would leave an audit trail. He's far to clever for that.

You could almost have said that this is remarkable as the club that killed the goose laying golden eggs via its ham fisted current strategy

Because for now having given way to much of my life on albion matters these last 20 years, I too am out, primarily due to the product on the pitch and the marketing and comms strategy off it.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Paying you would leave an audit trail. He's far to clever for that.

You could almost have said that this is remarkable as the club that killed the goose laying golden eggs via its ham fisted current strategy

Because for now having given way to much of my life on albion matters these last 20 years, I too am out, primarily due to the product on the pitch and the marketing and comms strategy off it.

58 years supporting me and I am out.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It would indeed be most remarkable, I guess it's his own money at stake if Hyypia takes us down, so fair play to him for taking the gamble.

You never know, it might turn out alright in the end.

:)

(Seems like the kids will be learning a few new words at Wolverhampton after all :lolol: )

byf1

Mar 22, 2012

I think an embarrassment of a football club would be closer to the mark. We've turned into some horrible corporate like business and I feel ashamed to support us now. Since we have moved into the Amex the gap has grown between the fans and the club to an unprecedented level, from the Dick Knight shares debacle to the dirty washing being hung out over the Poyet saga to the fact that we cant get any key players over the past 12 months and the fact the prices are exuberant on the border to actually robbing your everyday albion fan. These are same fans who fought to get us to still actually be a football club, marched on the streets of Lancashire when away to Wigan and battled to keep us alive.

I'm not going until Hyppia is gone and that's not just a protest against the shite he's serving up but also a protest against the powers that be, the message is clear....stop treating the fans like mugs because without them, you DONT have a football club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here