Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom sacked Slade after only 15 games yet Sami is still here??

Keith Patel

**** off Lino.
Apr 4, 2009
Brighton
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but interestingly enough during Tony Bloom's first season as chairman he lost patience and sacked Russell Slade after just 15 games of the 2009/2010 season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/brighton/8336891.stm

He got the sack the day after a 3-3 draw at home to Hartlepool which left us 1 place above the League One relegation zone above Stockport, Southampton, Tranmere & Wycombe.

Here's the full table and match report:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/8316660.stm

We had won 3 out of the 15 games when he got the boot compared to Sami's record of 3 wins in 21 games this season.

There are similarities when you think about that season and this, which is obviously depressing. We brought in a lot of players and the squad changed a lot during that period under Slade, as has happened this time around albeit in very different circumstances. Also the signing of Liam Dickinson is very much like the Chris O'Grady signing, Dickinson was loaned to Peterborough as soon as we realised he wasn't up to it, as what's happened to O'Grady going to Sheffield United this year...

Just wondering why everyone thinks he's giving Hyypia more time than he gave Slade, especially after the great escape heroics the season before.... Surely expectations are higher now to at least be competent in this division. Maybe it was because it was Dick Knight's appointment? Maybe the newer members of the board & senior management are advising him differently these days?

What's everyone's thoughts?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but interestingly enough during Tony Bloom's first season as chairman he lost patience and sacked Russell Slade after just 15 games of the 2009/2010 season.

He got the sack the day after a 3-3 draw at home to Hartlepool which left us 1 place above the League One relegation zone above Stockport, Southampton, Tranmere & Wycombe.

We had won 3 out of the 15 games when he got the boot compared to Sami's record of 3 wins in 21 games this season.

There are similarities when you think about that season and this, which is obviously depressing. We brought in a lot of players and the squad changed a lot during that period under Slade, as has happened this time around albeit in very different circumstances. Also the signing of Liam Dickinson is very much like the Chris O'Grady signing, Dickinson was loaned to Peterborough as soon as we realised he wasn't up to it, as what's happened to O'Grady going to Sheffield United this year...

Just wondering why everyone thinks he's giving Hyypia more time than he gave Slade, especially after the great escape heroics the season before.... Surely expectations are higher now to at least be competent in this division. Maybe it was because it was Dick Knight's appointment? Maybe the newer members of the board & senior management are advising him differently these days?

I am sure Guy Fawkes will be along shortly to give you a very long explanation for the clubs reasoning.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I'm starting to think it's because the board know that they've left Hyypia out to hang on rope made of poor signings, poor financial backing and unfulfilled commitments on an experienced no. 2.

Whatever mistakes Hyypia has made (and there have been many), I think they know that he's been badly hamstrung and that sacking him won't fix anything long-term.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think this is an interesting comparison, more so because Slade had done such an epic job to keep us up the previous season, and because he 's gone on to do good things elsewhere.

Sami has already had longer than any other chairman would have give him, by 2-3 games at least.

scooter1

How soon is now?
It's a bit of a broken record, but I suspect FFP has a lot to do with the longevity that Hyppia is being afforded. However, he is NOT the right manager to get us out of this mess, and I think TB is just going to have to take this one on the chin and accept he got this one wrong

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm starting to think it's because the board know that they've left Hyypia out to hang on rope made of poor signings, poor financial backing and unfulfilled commitments on an experienced no. 2.

Whatever mistakes Hyypia has made (and there have been many), I think they know that he's been badly hamstrung and that sacking him won't fix anything long-term.

Nut and shell.

Although he's still got to go, and lessons must be learned.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford

What I find quite interesting about this comparison is that when Gus did come in, he did very well to utilise the players available to him, many of which looked pretty crap under Slade. I remember how the likes of Navarro, Crofts, Dicker and even Bennett didn't look very good early in that season, but look at the impact they all had on the club. That League 1 title was achieved off the back of pretty much bugger all investment in the playing squad, as the money we gained from the sales of Crofts/Dickinson more than covered the arrivals of Greer, Barnes and Noone. At this moment in time, the change needs to be made sooner rather than later. While there are clearly issues with certain players, the squad we have should be doing better than bottom 3.

Friday was the first time I had seen us play this season, and it was deeply worrying. The passing game we spent so long to develop over the past few years was quite simply nowhere to be seen. Arguably, there are some more deep-rooted issues within the club, but on the playing side, what is most evident is a woeful lack of confidence. While some clubs achieve success through spending, others like Ipswich get a manager who knows the division and can get Championship players on the cheap.

Ultimately, fans don't really give a shit how much money has been invested in the club. I am not particularly bothered about whether the wage bill is the highest it's been or if the squad is the most expensive it's been. It sounds like an ungrateful thing to say, especially to a chairman that has quite literally saved the club from extinction. However, what people want is success. And the point I'm trying to make (in a very roundabout, convoluted manner) is that simply changing the manager could lead to major improvements. It's worked for us before, and I currently think we have no other option.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
TB wasn't that keen on giving Slade a new deal but didn't have a choice after he kept us up.
You're always going to be quicker to sack someone you didn't really want in the first place.

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
It's all down to money. With Slade it was a case of 'give him a painting of a spitfire and let him go.' It'll take a bit more than that to give Hyypia the push. It's as simple as that. Big contract. Big money. Big mistake. Big problem.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton

its because slade wasn't brought in by bloom , he was already here.
which goes to show that the reason sami hasn't been sacked yet is because he doesn't want to loose face.
unbelievable if this is the reason. Bloom needs to put the club a lot higher than his ego.
im getting really fed up with the whole club at the moment.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Id definitely swap hypecantwin for slade now. Although not saying thats who i want as next manager, as i would swap my nan for him at this moment in time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here