• Shake it all about

Votes: 7 6.1%

• Total voters

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Stick with him heading into the transfer window or get rid of him?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I thought it all was the manager's fault.

Now I'm confused...

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Change the system. Leave footballing decisions to the manager. Leave the negotiations of contracts to Barber. Not sure any need for Burke. Over the past 2 years we have slowly got worse

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
In - major part in setting up the academy (ranked No 1 apparently (well until Man City opened theirs)) and has a new set up around him in the bloke from Derby and new scouts. The players that have come in this season are not that bad either, certainty not as bad as the current position shows which is more to do with the managers style and tactics.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
In - major part in setting up the academy (ranked No 1 apparently (well until Man City opened theirs)) and has a new set up around him in the bloke from Derby and new scouts.

if thats the case shunt him off to the acedemy. he's clearly caused too many problems with player acquisition and retention, either not have the contacts or the skills to get in the right sort of players, letting good ones go and, if these are contentious points the final one isnt, not lining up replacements for those leaving.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
He's had three disastrous transfer windows in a row, significantly weakening the squad considerably every time and wasting millions of quid.

Out.

A very fair summary.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Or let's not waste the experience he has gained and be a little patient.

Or let's get a manager who gets the best out of the players and see how it looks then.

Or panic and run around thcreaming.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In.

I don't believe the NSC propaganda that in the clubs system the manager can't have the final say if he wants. Ultimately transfers come down to budgets and Burke doesn't set those. He's just there as a chief scout with a bigger title and responsibility over all club teams through to the youth set ups, and that gets peoples backs up.

Finding the diamonds like Ulloa isn't easy. Funny enough Burke was here then, and Gus had no problem with the recruitment process, his problem was with the budget he had and not being able to strengthen when he wanted. Again, not Burke or Barber's fault even.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You realise [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] you have to do the last person in the triumvirate for your 'in or out' polls.

At the end of the day, there's no point asking the question of the employees, who we can only assume are working in accordance with their job specification, if you're not going to ask the same question of the man who pays their wages.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Out. Employ a new manager and give him the responsibility of recruiting the players he wants to have in his team.

Yes to a degree. It is all very good employing a coach, throwing him a bunch of players and telling him to play 'the Brighton way' but it is not quite as simple as that. I am getting the impression that the coach/manager of The Albion is having less and less say in who the new players coming in are.
That is not to say that a Director of football cannot work within a certain framework though. He is there to bring in who the manager wants but not to recruit who he sees fit. Clubs cast their nets further now looking for talent so a scouting system is so much different than it was years ago. You need a co-ordinator in that dept.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
You have to say player recruitment has been poor over the last couple of seasons. Burke has to take the blame for that.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
if thats the case shunt him off to the academy.
Exactly this; if this is the part of the job he is good at, let him keep it (with a proportionate part of his salary - if that's not acceptable to him, he can push off). No involvement in the transfer window, please!

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Stick with him heading into the transfer window or get rid of him?

Out and Barber, but it`s too late the good work has been undone, the squad now requires totally rebuilding and I don`t think Tony has the funds to do it again, not for a squad good enough to achieve promotion from this division any way. Could well be another 30 years before this club sees top flight football again, which is ok by me but Tony got the hopes up of the new fans which is causing the problem of over expectation at the moment.:albion2:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
You have to say player recruitment has been poor over the last couple of seasons. Burke has to take the blame for that.
Poor? It has been fecking abysmal. We have a squad that borders on fecking useless and they don't give a shit seemingly. Time for a radical overhaul of the club from top to bottom. Tony Bloom isn't covering himself in glory no matter how much he mucks in with fans on away days. This club is going down the shitter with the current lot of clowns running the show.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here