Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Only lost 4.

Which is why Gus will keep them up.
Had they won 3 games they could have lost 6 games and been in the same position. That suggests 1. This season will be a struggle. 2. He'd have to change his philosophy if he's to have a long term future as a top flight manager. Having said that, I take this opportunity to thank him for his time and effort at Brighton and wish him well for the future.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Surely the basis for most successful eras
The best philosophy is to go out and win games from the start surely?Gus would often focus on keeping it at 0-0 and then try and win it late on.Look at his record of not winning after going a goal down...what was it 2 years?obviously we'd never lose when going a goal up either.

That's why he's a boring mostly negative manager and in the same mould of the old italian tactics.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Let it go. If you can't do it without help, try counselling. It works with loss, apparently.
It's not me that's not letting it go though is it? I'm only trying to point out that the 'Messiah', albeit not a naughty boy, is not perfect.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
The best philosophy is to go out and win games from the start surely?Gus would often focus on keeping it at 0-0 and then try and win it late on.Look at his record of not winning after going a goal down...what was it 2 years?obviously we'd never lose when going a goal up either.

That's why he's a boring mostly negative manager and in the same mould of the old italian tactics.

Really boring he led Sunderland to a final last year - first since 92 and also on an incredible run with good wins to keep us up, last 4 games lost 1 including draws against Chelsea and Liverpool and only 4 losses all season which is joint 4th in terms of records

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Really boring he led Sunderland to a final last year - first since 92 and also on an incredible run with good wins to keep us up, last 4 games lost 1 including draws against Chelsea and Liverpool and only 4 losses all season which is joint 4th in terms of records
Good record but they've already lost 4 this season so, it's goner be tough.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Good record but they've already lost 4 this season so, it's goner be tough.

He doesn't have to win. He just has to play attractive, entertaining, attacking football.

At least that's what I've heard.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
You can succeed when boring you know although not often?
I will not change my opinion on the egotistical **** as find his football boring as Fack...You would get about 4/5 games a season where we would play amazing although rarely win.

Let's see how he does this season and don't get on his back as he'll cry and go home lol

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
trouble is he upped the anti when he went to Sunderland

he needs to get them up and running this season,if he wants to treat Sunderland as a stepping stone,which he surely does

he sees himself as a top 4 manager or real/barca,I'm not saying he won't make those goals,but failure at Sunderland will set him back massively

as Wakey said,a fantastic end to last season,I think a few thought they'ed hit the ground running this season

it's a wait and see job at the moment,Sunderland don't want to be lurking round the bottom 3 come easter

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
As always in the Premier League, half of the division will be lurking around the bottom 3.

Poyet is predictably doing a great job at Sunderland. His philosophy to equal any team by playing football works - and Sunderland will enjoy a steady but certain rise up the league every year that Gus stays, just like we did, until he ultimately leaves for bigger and better things.
No question Sunderland are a bigger club than Brighton, looking at league positions over the decades. Even though they are a big club anyone keeping them in the Prem is doing a good job. However, a relegation battle every season will soon try the patience of both the fans and Poyet. It would also mean, less chance of a mega club wanting to appoint Poyet. Therefore, the pressure is on Poyet to take Sunderland higher up the table and if he does that he'll be touting his services elsewhere, eventually leaving Sunderland having to look around again. Having said that he did a good job for Brighton and I'd like to thank him for that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Scoring goals is a problem in Poyet teams. We often murdered teams with attractive possession football but ended up losing or drawing too many games because we couldn't score. Seems Sunderland have inherited the same problem, which is somewhat better than the ones we have now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here