Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will we ever know what went wrong?

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
Will we ever know what went wrong? I'm sure non disclosure contracts were signed... Will the true story ever get out?
I backed the club during the Poyet debacle.. but hasnt he since been proved correct? Whatever it was that was winding him up about out club is still there and has sucked us into a downward spiral that show no signs of stopping. What the hell went on?
Until we know we are poisoned.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Yes, it all started with Gus' comments about reaching the ceiling and everyone thought it was the start of GP making the first noises to leave for better offers. Maybe he wasn't the villain of the piece at all.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Will we ever know what went wrong? I'm sure non disclosure contracts were signed... Will the true story ever get out?
I backed the club during the Poyet debacle.. but hasnt he since been proved correct? Whatever it was that was winding him up about out club is still there and has sucked us into a downward spiral that show no signs of stopping. What the hell went on?

Many of us felt the same...

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
Yes, it all started with Gus' comments about reaching the ceiling and everyone thought it was the start of GP making the first noises to leave for better offers. Maybe he wasn't the villain of the piece at all.

But the 'reaching the ceiling' comment was made months after the first cracks appeared. Something had already gone wrong.. but we have never found out what.

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
There were rumours that the Bloom and Poyet relationship had already been damaged. Was it simply down to the appointment of Paul Barber? Was Poyet getting his wings clipped?

Why didnt Bloom see how good it was going? Poyet has a delicate ego... why didnt Bloom manage it better? He was taking us places... God that Vicente video has depressed me.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Poyet left 19 months ago. We have only really had a problem for the last 2 or 3 months. Poyet did very well to save Sunderland last season but has his work cut out for the future. There's a danger of looking at things in black and white.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
melodramatic as always, current events at the club do not lead directly from events of year and half ago. Poyet was leaving anyway, so many seem to forget this, his constant flirting with other clubs, his ego demanding a "bigger" club, he'd done his shift.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
There were rumours that the Bloom and Poyet relationship had already been damaged. Was it simply down to the appointment of Paul Barber? Was Poyet getting his wings clipped?

Why didnt Bloom see how good it was going? Poyet has a delicate ego... why didnt Bloom manage it better? He was taking us places... God that Vicente video has depressed me.

so much easier in the Bamber/Mullery days..... great brighton fan chairman handpicks his man (a great ex pro) and the 2 work mutually well for each other......

That seemed to be the same with Bloom/Poyet until Barber, the corporate finance suit, got placed inbetween them. Poyet wanted bigger and better anyway but Barbers arrival seemed to accelerate to divorce

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Poyet can call it what he wants as he wouldn't give a shite if we racked up £40 million in debt...Thats the ceiling to him.If it wasn't for clubs with parachute payments we'd have the 2nd biggest budget in the league.

Poyet's another harry redknapp and will always moan about the budget???

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
And what happened to Chris Cattlin too ......

This is bit more catastrophic than any other leaving/sacking that ever happened before though isnt it. This has been apocalyptic. My point is that until we actually know what the hell happened I dont think we will move forward. We've stopped attracting the top players and managers.. they are all probably and rightly suspicious of what has gone on. A club that was on the brink of greatness, has massive blow out with the man guiding us, and then all shit breaks out... figuratively AND literally!! We really need to know about this one.. and soon. Not in someones memoirs in 20 years. Until the truth is out, I think the downward spiral will continue.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This is bit more catastrophic than any other leaving/sacking that ever happened before though isnt it. This has been apocalyptic. My point is that until we actually know what the hell happened I dont think we will move forward. We've stopped attracting the top players and managers.. they are all probably and rightly suspicious of what has gone on. A club that was on the brink of greatness, has massive blow out with the man guiding us, and then all shit breaks out... figuratively AND literally!! We really need to know about this one.. and soon. Not in someones memoirs in 20 years. Until the truth is out, I think the downward spiral will continue.

we as fans (or Barbers customers) will never know the real ins and outs. Blooms business empire is shrowded in secrecy so i guess Brighton will also be.

Asides the past is just that, far more of a worry to try and get a decent manager in our current system. Burke has wasted a lot of money on rubbish and any manager of ours has to has to work with Burkes mistakes. Who will want to manage and have his reputation staked against someone elses choice of players. All managers inherit whats there, but they are not all subjected to forever have what someone else chooses. Managers will now know that at Brighton, It will never be their players but always Burkes. You'd be mad to take the Brighton job under such an arrangment

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This thread is correct. We need to look back to Jan/Feb 13 to see where the position we're in now started.

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
melodramatic as always, current events at the club do not lead directly from events of year and half ago. Poyet was leaving anyway, so many seem to forget this, his constant flirting with other clubs, his ego demanding a "bigger" club, he'd done his shift.

Poyet left 19 months ago. We have only really had a problem for the last 2 or 3 months. Poyet did very well to save Sunderland last season but has his work cut out for the future. There's a danger of looking at things in black and white.

Think of that list of players that have left since then.. and the quality of the players we now attract. Oscar going was indicitive too... It wasnt that he didnt want to manage in England. He didnt want to manage us.
I'm amazed we've let the club get away with not really telling us what happened. We need to know, so we can put it right... and once again start bringing the talent in.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Whether Poyet was right or wrong, there's a certain way of doing things.
Coming straight out with it just after we'd been kicked in the b@llox by our fiercest rivals in one of the most important games in our history was most definitely NOT the way to do it.

That irks me more than anything about Poyet.

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
This thread is correct. We need to look back to Jan/Feb 13 to see where the position we're in now started.

Until we know, until its out in the open and fixed, top players and top managers will view us with suspicion. We have to go back to where it went wrong and work out what went wrong. We need to know.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Coming straight out with it just after we'd been kicked in the b@llox by our fiercest rivals in one of the most important games in our history was most definitely NOT the way to do it.

Agree and the fact he turned up late and put a shite side out summed it up that night..Right cretin

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012

I know... pissed me off too... but Poyet had been shafted for months by then...
Delicate Ego... no doubt about that.. lots of top talent has delicate egos. Did Bloom manage him like a 'artist'? or try and show him 'who's boss'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here