Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes not good enough for the Albion

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Has just scored another Premier League goal. He is now on twice the goals of any of our current strikers in the Championship.

Another dreadful bit of business by the Albion

Yes he's much better than Baldock, the £2m for him might just be the most ludicrous waste of money by any Albion board and manager ever

We got £750m for Barnes and paid £2m for Baldock - probably reversing that would be closer to the real situation.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Has just scored another Premier League goal. He is now on twice the goals of any of our current strikers in the Championship.

Another dreadful bit of business by the Albion

One of my favourite Albion players. But he wanted to go, Never a good idea in my opinion to keep unhappy players. His contract was up at the end of last season anyway, and if we had held on to him we risked losing him for nothing. Much better that we sold him in the January transfer window for less than his market value. At least we made some money from it. He came to us on a free transfer remember.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not just the goals, we miss his presence, some grit and determination in the side.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
One of my favourite Albion players. But he wanted to go, Never a good idea in my opinion to keep unhappy players. His contract was up at the end of last season anyway, and if we had held on to him we risked losing him for nothing. Much better that we sold him in the January transfer window for less than his market value. At least we made some money from it. He came to us on a free transfer remember.

However if we had gambled and a gamble worth taking for the prize and we had gone up with his help, do you not think 1: we reached the jackpot of the Premiership or 2: he would want to stay because we had reached the jackpot. In my opinion which counts for nothing to be honest, but it was a gamble worth taking and the board bottled it for in the end we got 750k and spent 2m on what ????

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

He wasn't free. We paid Plymouth for him, anywhere from £30,000 to £350,000 depending on which person who claims to be in-the-know you believe.
He was offered one contract and the club refused to negotiate (according to him) if he wanted to leave it's because we were unwilling to try to tempt him to stay.
Lose him for nothing or sell him for less than he is worth were two options, change our minds and offer him a better deal is a third one that people frequently overlook (or try to dismiss by suggesting that if we give him a better deal, we would go bust as if there is no way to budget for players wages). Another option was keep him, get promotion that brings in £160m+ lose him for nothing but on the balance be in a better place.

I think CMS has that 'crown' right now. But Baldock will be right up there.

I really disagree with that - we at least got some return from CMS in terms of contributing goals to a very good Gus team making the play-offs in commanding fashion. That's for what £2-£3m (not sure if the bonuses ever got triggered). Baldock however is an embarrassing overspend who will never get near scoring goals regularly at this level.

I like Barnes but £750m was a good return.

I was frustrated at times with Barnes but that was only because I was measuring him against Ulloa and a top-form CMS, none of the strikers we've brought in since (and there have been many) have got near to what he contributes to the team - so I agree with Icy this money was terrible business, in fact even £1.5m-£2m would have been given our inability to scout and buy talent in this position.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
However if we had gambled and a gamble worth taking for the prize and we had gone up with his help, do you not think 1: we reached the jackpot of the Premiership or 2: he would want to stay because we had reached the jackpot. In my opinion which counts for nothing to be honest, but it was a gamble worth taking and the board bottled it for in the end we got 750k and spent 2m on what ????

I said this at the time... looking at risk V reward the January sale was so short-sighted.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Favourite player of recent times, with us at Withdean gave 110% and was growing as a player.

Can't believe the club didn't offer him a good enough contract to stay. They thought they could do better........

Instead they have ripped the sole of our team and club apart

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I
Favourite player of recent times, with us at Withdean gave 110% and was growing as a player.

Can't believe the club didn't offer him a good enough contract to stay. They thought they could do better........

Instead they have ripped the sole of our team and club apart

When a player says he needs to feel wanted as the reason for leaving you have to question how hard the club tried and remember the shit he got from Albion fans who were unable to see that he was mostly played out of position, and yet still always gave 100%.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
When I think of barnes at the albion I think useless...Nothing's changed regardless of his 1 goal every 7 games for burnley including the championship last season.

If he scored 1 in 16 people would still do a thread about how good he is after scoring a rare goal...Normally its penalties that helps him but guess not today.

No loss regardless of our position

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here