Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players who actually gave a toss yesterday?

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Yesterday's performance was abysmal, both on and off the pitch. The players have clearly given up and are not playing as a team. Looks like a mess of individuals playing for themselves. I guess that's what happens after shambolic recruitment. I do feel sorry for Hyppia though, he's been given shit tools to do a difficult job, but he should be doing better.

From what I saw, the only players who seemed to care were: Bruno, Dunk, JFC, Tex (on occasions), Bennett (but was poor) and Calderon (from the bench!).

Gardner and Halford won't be at the club after January (I hope), so why start them over our own? Gardner went through the whole game without offering any fight whatsoever and we had Hughes and the young lad Rea who could have played instead of Halford. Yesterday's game cried out for some fight, strength and effort. Ince and Holla were both on the bench too - why? Both are better than the two that started in the middle, which is where we lost the battle yesterday.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I do feel sorry for Hyppia though, he's been given shit tools to do a difficult job

Why he is a grown man who knew what he was walking into, and if he did not then his was foolish to say the least. He sold himself well at the interview and obviously promised some sort of style of football and results....... where are they...... NO ONE CAN TELL ME Rotherham, Bournmouth, Brentford and nearly half this league have better squads than ours. A better manager would have got more out of this squad. Do not feel sorry for Sami his previous managerial record speaks for it's self he cannot motivate a team clearly.

If you must feel sorry for people feel sorry for supporters who travel miles and spend a fortune on this shower of shite we are watching.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I didn't see Bent all night.
It made me think that we would miss him after the month.
Maybe the £20,000 a week could be better spent.

I think if you sign a player bent even on loan you need to give him service in the 18 yard box. Sadly our midfield seems to have less creativity than a blue peter presenter.
All the Millwall players were more prepared to put their bodies on the line than our players.
They were not great but made up for their deficiencies with hard work which as a fan is the minimum i would expect. Sadly we dis not even get that from everyone

Peter_Taylor

Dec 7, 2014
Storrington
Why he is a grown man who knew what he was walking into, and if he did not then his was foolish to say the least. He sold himself well at the interview and obviously promised some sort of style of football and results....... where are they...... NO ONE CAN TELL ME Rotherham, Bournmouth, Brentford and nearly half this league have better squads than ours. A better manager would have got more out of this squad. Do not feel sorry for Sami his previous managerial record speaks for it's self he cannot motivate a team clearly.

If you must feel sorry for people feel sorry for supporters who travel miles and spend a fortune on this shower of shite we are watching.

The Cherries do actually have a pretty decent squad. They have got a Russian oligarch in charge who has spent whatever the manager wants on players. I can see them sneaking into the Prem

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The reason so few looked like they gave a toss is Hyppia.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Shit tools? No. He's using a pipe cutter to saw a log of wood.

Why is he playing Gardner and JFC in holding roles when clearly that's not their position? We have Ince, Rea, Agustien, Toko and Holla. Yes, some maybe crack, but that's their position.

JFC and Gardner can't defend for shit, so when our full backs are forward, our defence is majorly stretched.

The strikers get little to no service from the midfield that they drop into midfield to get the ball and which limits our chances. It's plain clear to see....

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Stockdale, Bruno, Dunk, Texiera (but caring for himself), JFC (but exhausted)

Yes about right. Dunk was heroic. At one point he was lunging to get on the end of something in their box, then sprinting back and being the one to make the last ditch block at the other, while the loan players checked their bank balances or twitter feeds ... Awesome Brighton lad!

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I may be an out of touch dinosaur, but I want to see some passion and pride in playing for the Albion. Just wearing that shirt, an impossible dream for those of us without the ability to do so, should mean more than just a contract and generous pay packet. When we go down the loanees will just knob off back to Villa or Liverpool or wherever before going out on loan again (but not to us as we'll be playing in L1 with all the glamour fixtures that will entail). Playing for the Albion should MEAN something but to too many players it just doesn't.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Shit tools? No. He's using a pipe cutter to saw a log of wood.

Why is he playing Gardner and JFC in holding roles when clearly that's not their position? We have Ince, Rea, Agustien, Toko and Holla. Yes, some maybe crack, but that's their position.

JFC and Gardner can't defend for shit, so when our full backs are forward, our defence is majorly stretched.

The strikers get little to no service from the midfield that they drop into midfield to get the ball and which limits our chances. It's plain clear to see....

Agree the tactics are completely wrong. The players we've brought in have been awful though. Colunga, Baldock, Halford, Gardner and (sadly) Bennett have all been poor. We've lost Ulloa, Buckley, Upson, Ward, Bridcutt and Barnes, I'll have all of those over our current bunch.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Agree the tactics are completely wrong. The players we've brought in have been awful though. Colunga, Baldock, Halford, Gardner and (sadly) Bennett have all been poor. We've lost Ulloa, Buckley, Upson, Ward, Bridcutt and Barnes, I'll have all of those over our current bunch.

Bar Gardner, have the others had the ability to play in their appropriate positions? Bennett is a winger, why play him behind a striker?

Baldock and Colunga's the same as any other striker, they can't get service from the midfield so they drop. Baldock and Colunga's finishing in the game against Bournemouth was superb. But we've not recreated that.

How do you expect players to play well when the tactics are scribbled on the back of a fag packet in Finnish then handed to the players?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Calderon. The only player who never stopped for 90 minutes

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I would say only:

Dunk
Stockdale
JFC

The rest are an assortment of journeyman loanees and average players who couldn't give a toss. And that's not Sami's fault, it's Burke's.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Bar Gardner, have the others had the ability to play in their appropriate positions? Bennett is a winger, why play him behind a striker?

Baldock and Colunga's the same as any other striker, they can't get service from the midfield so they drop. Baldock and Colunga's finishing in the game against Bournemouth was superb. But we've not recreated that.

How do you expect players to play well when the tactics are scribbled on the back of a fag packet in Finnish then handed to the players?

Looking at the players we've lost compared to the players we've brought in, it's pretty clear this squad is midtable at best. The tactics have been abysmal, so relegation is threatening. Last year we over achieved, and our squad has got worse. It's like giving an incompetent three year old a unicycle after he had a bike with a flat tyre.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008

Any manager who picks the same midfield after a poor performance the week before has completely lost the plot. He even made a substitution against Derby because the midfield was so weak and yet he picks the same starting midfield again and this time does not even try to rectify it. We are 1-0 down at home playing one up front and it takes him until the 65th minute to bring on another forward. Clueless doesn't even cover it. With the exception of one or two players he should, if he is still here, in the next game play Walton, Calderon, Hughes,Kemy, Rea, Colunga, Ince and Holla. They can't play any worse than those supposedly representing the club last night. How Holla and Ince can't get in the side in front of Gardener and JFC beggers belief after bad performances week after week.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Any manager who picks the same midfield after a poor performance the week before has completely lost the plot. He even made a substitution against Derby because the midfield was so weak and yet he picks the same starting midfield again and this time does not even try to rectify it. We are 1-0 down at home playing one up front and it takes him until the 65th minute to bring on another forward. Clueless doesn't even cover it. With the exception of one or two players he should, if he is still here, in the next game play Walton, Calderon, Hughes,Kemy, Rea, Colunga, Ince and Holla. They can't play any worse than those supposedly representing the club last night. How Holla and Ince can't get in the side in front of Gardener and JFC beggers belief after bad performances week after week.

You could any formation you want, they don't have the belief or motivation and that should come from him. He has lost the team, fans it's a shame the only person who seems to have faith in him is the man that counts. It cannot be down to money, because we would lose far more by being relegated. We simply can not afford that, and that is not an arrogance we are toooooo big a club to be relegated it's a fact we need to stop the rot and now.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here