Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgo and Dicker

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
You know things have become toxic at a club when well respected former players with no axe to grind are publicly stating that the trouble at The Albion runs deep. So, for those few still defending the hierarchy, who are we to believe and trust?

For those that missed what I'm talking about:

Text from Gary Dicker to BBC SCR "problems run deeper than the manager"
Virgo summary on BBC SCR "Gus came in and shook the club up like you wouldn't believe....now too many suits making the decisions"

If Bloom doesn't restructure the club then we really are in the midst of our biggest crisis since losing The Goldstone. Time to wake up.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
There clearly is issues.
Recruitment set up is poor.
The boardroom currently looks lost
The management has been given very little and i think he realises he is out of his depth
Fans - no shows and divided
TB needs to grab the club by the balls and restructure and lead the club forward again. Get a strong headed manager in and let him sort out the recruitment.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
I know we move on when a manager departs, but the problems at the club seem to have been simmering nicely since Gus was sacked after leading the club to the brink of the premiership. To have a first division side playing at the Amex would be shocking, but the Club would only have itself to blame.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I know we move on when a manager departs, but the problems at the club seem to have been simmering nicely since Gus was sacked after leading the club to the brink of the premiership. To have a first division side playing at the Amex would be shocking, but the Club would only have itself to blame.
Well we had the chance last season under garcia and collapsed again in the playoffs...To be fair the corperate side and the board have way to much control by picking managers they can control and players for them.This has to end and fast,seems we're rotten to the core of the wrong types.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well we had the chance last season under garcia and collapsed again in the playoffs...To be fair the corperate side and the board have way to much control by picking managers they can control and players for them.This has to end and fast,seems we're rotten to the core of the wrong types.

I'm assuming you mean post Poyet

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

hmmm....unfortunately it looks that way......too much emphasis on business and finances , not enough onus on performance and getting points...!!

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Hyypia going will only be a short term fix unless David Burke is removed. Poyet couldn't work with him and Oscar wanted out after Burke pinned the blame of a poor window on him. His record is appalling.

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
the board have way to much control by picking managers they can control and players for them

??? The board have nothing to do with player recruitment, other than setting the budget - unless David Burke is now a board member?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I'm assuming you mean post Poyet

It is my belief one of the top reasons for selecting Barber was his previous dealings with Poyet and he was brought in to control or get rid of him. There were rumours of Bloom being unable to stand up to Gus.
Having done this there was no way they would bring in a manager from the same mould as Poyet and also once he was gone player recruitment was tightened with seriously less control for the manager.

This I must add is my belief from things I heard at the time.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Largely this. we are a FOOTBALL club, not a football CLUB. The club exists to play football, not the other way around.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It is my belief one of the top reasons for selecting Barber was his previous dealings with Poyet and he was brought in to control or get rid of him. There were rumours of Bloom being unable to stand up to Gus.
Having done this there was no way they would bring in a manager from the same mould as Poyet and also once he was gone player recruitment was tightened with seriously less control for the manager.

Sorry but l don't buy that. I think it was largely coincidence that both Barber and Poyet were formerly employees of Tottenham. After all, Poyet was merely assistant manager there, and it would have been Sergio Ramos who would have had any real dealings with Paul Barber. In those days Tony Bloom had no real idea just how demanding Gus could be.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is why I struggle with the concept of 'sack Sami and things will be better'.

The midfield was shocking and not creative long before Sami arrrived, why do people think it'll be so much better after he's gone?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Sorry but l don't buy that. I think it was largely coincidence that both Barber and Poyet were formerly employees of Tottenham. After all, Poyet was merely assistant manager there, and it would have been Sergio Ramos who would have had any real dealings with Paul Barber. In those days Tony Bloom had no real idea just how demanding Gus could be.

I accept people might not go along with my thoughts and as I said this was me putting two and two together from stories I was told at the time, leading up to the dismissal of Gus.
But if you were a chairman of a club where your manager had recently got you promoted and had your team in the position to reach the promised land, why would you employ a man who would have a huge influence on that manager and one that had previously sacked him?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I accept people might not go along with my thoughts and as I said this was me putting two and two together from stories I was told at the time, leading up to the dismissal of Gus.
But if you were a chairman of a club where your manager had recently got you promoted and had your team in the position to reach the promised land, why would you employ a man who would have a huge influence on that manager and one that had previously sacked him?

I'm inclined to agree. Amongst all the ITK bullshit posts on this board, this makes some sense to me.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

You're on NSC, you should be aware that there are all sort of rumours, most of which don't deserve the time of day. I don't go in for bigging up Bloom, but you don't get into his position without being able to outwit and deal with big egos along the way. And as much as I still like and respect Gus, he's utterly transparent. Bloom could easily out-manoeuvre him if he wanted to, which he did eventually.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here