Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Puts me in mind of Steve Foster's conversation with Bellotti at the height of the troubles

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Fozzie sat in Bellotti's office and said, with perhaps a hint of sarcasm thrown in, " David you either have an extremely switched on business brain or you are without doubt one of the biggest ***** to have ever graced this football club. And from where I'm sitting I don't think you're that clever." (He never played for the club again)

Whatever others on here might argue Bloom has given Barber the power to hire and fire, so how he can continue to oversee possibly the worst manager the club has had in almost 50 years and watch the fanbase erode before his eyes brings two theories to mind.

a) He has a far darker ulterior motive.
Or
b) He is as clueless and out of his depth as the manager he hired.

He's all but knocked the stuffing out of the support, 20 years ago after a game like that there would have been 300/500 people protesting outside the front doors in Newtown Road, now we have a quick boo mumble into our drinks and get the respective transport home.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Jn
Fozzie sat in Bellotti's office and said, with perhaps a hint of sarcasm thrown in, " David you either have an extremely switched on business brain or you are without doubt one of the biggest ***** to have ever graced this football club. And from where I'm sitting I don't think you're that clever." (He never played for the club again)

Whatever others on here might argue Bloom has given Barber the power to hire and fire, so how he can continue to oversee possibly the worst manager the club has had in almost 50 years and watch the fanbase erode before his eyes brings two theories to mind.

Or

He's all but knocked the stuffing out of the support, 20 years ago after a game like that there would have been 300/500 people protesting outside the front doors in Newtown Road, now we have a quick boo mumble into our drinks and get the respective transport home.

The only reason there aren't demonstrations is because of the amount of money Bloom has sunk into the club.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Agree. But I think things may be starting to mobilise. Hyppia will be gone by Monday. But there is now some growing consensus about the soul (or rather lack of it) of the club.

It is harder to find common ground and soul mates in a cavern of a stadium. However, people are realising it is time to get in the face of Barber and Burke. Burke is just making it up as we go along and will eventually trip over himself. Barber is rapidly becoming a Bellotti type figure who treats us as Cattle.

That latest piece of corporate bullshit..inviting fans to a forum about making the atmosphere better is typically patronising and of course herds fans into a room where they are free to buy Beer funnily enough.

The cult of CEO's and COO's is a non runner in football clubs that are reliant on local (ish) support. They require a passionate and present chairman with a close relationship with a Manager that builds and selects the team and has some tactical acumen.

The support then rallies around a small team and togetherness is restored.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Met a director this week.
Asked him about the meeting ( which was Monday not Tuesday as reported in arsegas) and if there was vote on hyypia.

He said it's not down to us. It's the chairmans decision.

Just saying like.

el punal

Or

Perhaps the difference is, then the club (or rather the fans) were fighting for the club's existence. Now, we're arguing among ourselves because of the performances on the pitch. Aside from Hyypia, who will be your target for protesting - Bloom, Barber, Burke, the stewards, catering staff etc.

I respect your sentiment, unfortunately every Albion fan seems to have a different agenda on how things should be put right. And, therein lies the problem.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Met a director this week.
Asked him about the meeting ( which was Monday not Tuesday as reported in arsegas) and if there was vote on hyypia.

He said it's not down to us. It's the chairmans decision.

Just saying like.

More of a dictatorship then

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It is an utter disgrace to compare Paul Barber with Bellotti. I am extremely surprised someone of your standing, Harty, would come on here and say that. I don't doubt your passion, and there's no question how important you were during the campaigning years but that absolutely does not give you any right to slate Barber and even hint at a "far darker motive" - let alone come right out and use those words. I think people are in danger of completely losing context and sanity, the perception of a wider problem at the club is very dramatic and unhelpful.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
Harty has been lambasted on here in recent weeks, so far he's been bang on the money for the most part, this I'm not so sure about, but lets hope option (a) is not correct and its option (b)

It is an utter disgrace to compare Paul Barber with Bellotti. I am extremely surprised someone of your standing, Harty, would come on here and say that. I don't doubt your passion, and there's no question how important you were during the campaigning years but that absolutely does not give you any right to slate Barber and even hint at a "far darker motive" - let alone come right out and use those words. I think people are in danger of completely losing context and sanity, the perception of a wider problem at the club is very dramatic and unhelpful.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Or

Doesn't this belong in your column?
I'm sure that a personal attack on the club chairman: directly likening him to Bellotti: and by juxtaposition likening yourself to a club legend will all go down swimmingly with your readership........

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
How anyone can compare Barber to Bellotti is absolutely beyond me.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Doesn't this belong in your column?
I'm sure that a personal attack on the club chairman: directly likening him to Bellotti: and by juxtaposition likening yourself to a club legend will all go down swimmingly with your readership........

Read the thread, its about Barber not Bloom

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here