Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the club have a manager signing the players or the director of football?

Who should be in charge of signing the players?

• The manager (e.g. Gus before Burke arrived)

Votes: 27 93.1%
  • The director of football (e.g. Burke)

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
manager definitely........this director of football position is a load of old tosh brought about by needing someone to undergo protracted negotiations with players' agents i presume.....which brings us back to money , again...!

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Managers come and go....
But you need a DOF that can spot a decent footballer...
In our case if 1 goes, then they should both go..
Sami for performances on the pitch, Burke for performances off the pitch

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
1. How many managers are capable of complex contract negotiations?
2. I agree that managers should decide who we sign but it has to be within our budget. Not sure Gus understood that.

Manager should decide the type of player he wants, scouting network identify prospects that are or could be available, manager decides who out of those he wants and then D of F then tries to sign them within the budget.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
1. How many managers are capable of complex contract negotiations?
2. I agree that managers should decide who we sign but it has to be within our budget. Not sure Gus understood that.

Manager should decide the type of player he wants, scouting network identify prospects that are or could be available, manager decides who out of those he wants and then D of F then tries to sign them within the budget.

But that's what we've been doing

And it clearly isn't working.

With the exception of Ulloa(and he was a Gus singing that just took time to come to fruition) Burke has signed a complete load of GASH footballers, in lauding Toko,, Kemy, Gardner.

He has to go along with Hyypia and Jones

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Nothing wrong with the role of director of football. Working with a manager it frees that manager up to concentrate on his main job of coaching and selecting the team he thinks will win the game.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Manager.
If you go down the director of football route i would suggest a man with football recruitment experience

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The director of football should be in charge of signing players. The manager should be in charge of telling him who to sign.

a manager who clearly knows what the budget is and has autonomy within that budget to sign players he wants.

Surely the deal would have to be that any such manager is responsible and accountable for the entire "playing" staff and budgets - ie transfer fees, contracts, agents fees, salaries, NI and pension contributions etc, etc? Not sure where they would report into the Board though - via the CEO?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
But that's what we've been doing

And it clearly isn't working.

With the exception of Ulloa(and he was a Gus singing that just took time to come to fruition) Burke has signed a complete load of GASH footballers, in lauding Toko,, Kemy, Gardner.

He has to go along with Hyypia and Jones

Was it GP who identified Ulloa? Not sure I've seen any evidence of that.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Was it GP who identified Ulloa? Not sure I've seen any evidence of that.
Gus and Tano certainly scouted him themselves more than once, I don't know if they were the ones to first identify him but it seemed very much a signing driven by the manager.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here