Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This "Diarra is a Hyypia signing" thing

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
On a couple of threads Alou Diarra has been described as looking like a Hyypia signing.

I'm curious as to why people suddenly assume Burke (who signed Ulloa, Kush, Bridge, Upson, Ward, Benno, Tex Mex, Stephens, Hughes, Lingard, Al Habsi, Joe Bennett, Toko - who on paper is a fantastic signing, Bent, Stockdale - again on paper looks like a decent replacement) has nothing to do with our signings.

Okay, so Poyet or Garcia or Hyypia make them want to sign. Ok so the manager usually has contacts. Burke still negotiates a deal and does the less glamourous parts of the transfer.

Burke has handled our signings since he joined us and the last two seasons have seen us make the Playoffs. Surely he isn't that bad? And Diarra is another one of his signings?

Why do people dislike the man?! and why is he suddenly NOT involved with the signing of players.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Well we have recently employed a player identification manager so maybe some of the first team recruitment responsibility has been taken away from Burke.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Because people need a scapegoat.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
There is an issue here though. Whether Burke is at fault or its something else, there has been a decline in the quality of players we have brought in over the last 3 seasons.

Dec 29, 2011
When people say 'not a Burke signing', they don't mean, 'Burke wasn't involved', they mean Burke didn't identify the player. Tex wasn't a Burke signing, because Hyypia organised it.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
When people say 'not a Burke signing', they don't mean, 'Burke wasn't involved', they mean Burke didn't identify the player. Tex wasn't a Burke signing, because Hyypia organised it.

I'm going to sound dim, but how do you know that?

Ok, liverpool legend at the helm but people seem to think they know a lot about how player recruitment works when I can't find sod all apart from self affirming, selective reasoning, unfair scapegoating on Burke.

There hasn't been (IMO) a slow decline in player quality. The first season we had Vicente and then the season after - all very well and good but i'd argue our core was better last season than the season before that. Garcia's BHA knew how to get a result. Poyets would do so in style or die trying.

But we're spending less on transfer fees (and more on wages) - which could be the problem?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
David Burke has been superb for us. EXCEPT for this summer. Personally I think he's good. I think he buggered up because we lacked direction and togetherness as a backroom team in the summer. We just signed players who we liked the look of rather than players tailored to a certain managers' style.

Assuming Hyypia isn't going anywhere anytime soon, as he and Burke work together more and more I think we'll see some much better players coming in.

Burke IN!

Dec 29, 2011
I'm going to sound dim, but how do you know that?

Ok, liverpool legend at the helm but people seem to think they know a lot about how player recruitment works when I can't find sod all apart from self affirming, selective reasoning, unfair scapegoating on Burke.

There hasn't been (IMO) a slow decline in player quality. The first season we had Vicente and then the season after - all very well and good but i'd argue our core was better last season than the season before that. Garcia's BHA knew how to get a result. Poyets would do so in style or die trying.

But we're spending less on transfer fees (and more on wages) - which could be the problem?

The 21-year-old told The Argus: "I knew about it from Steven Gerrard. He told me that Sami had called him, so he (Gerrard) spoke a little bit with me and everyone in the club told me how Brighton like to play, kind of similar to Liverpool, so it was the best choice for me to come here.

Admittedly, Teixeira could have been identified and Sammi could have just rung Gerrard to make the deal more likely, but when it was first announced the move was touted as 'Hyypia rings Gerrard to ask if there's a player that can help at Brighton'.

Perhaps Burke did identify Teixeira and Hyypia just facilitated the move.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here