Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
Poverty zone? Tower Hamlets is a poor borough with areas like Whitechappel, Stepney and Limehouse but Brick Lane and the surrounding area is swamped with these kinds of establishments as it is on the edge of the city....you struggle to buy a pint for less than a fiver in the pubs around brick lane so a bowl of cereal for £3 is not surprising!

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
http://www.channel4.com/news/cereal-cafe-opens-in-london-but-can-it-survive?1

Just checked and the foodie / hipster scene has officially reached it's nadir. How long can you watch the interview for without throwing something at the screen and / or screaming? I lasted 15 seconds.

I don't trust myself to start even watching this clip as ever since the first news article on this was released with accompanying picture i've been sorely tempted to drive round to their shop walk in and just thump them for no reason and leave.

The hair, the tats, the beards. The ludicrous beards. Everything about them screams "oooh look how different I am and how cool are we?" with out realising the delicious irony of actually being the chuffing same as the other 3million bell cheeses who think the same. GROW UP.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Poverty zone? Tower Hamlets is a poor borough with areas like Whitechappel, Stepney and Limehouse but Brick Lane and the surrounding area is swamped with these kinds of establishments as it is on the edge of the city....you struggle to buy a pint for less than a fiver in the pubs around brick lane so a bowl of cereal for £3 is not surprising!

This really. They'll be hoping to drag city boys and girls off the street as they walk past. Price is comparable with a good bacon butty in town (but shouldn't be). Still look like a couple of w****** though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
oh urge you all to watch it and watch smug hipster's smile wiped off when the interview probes on the poorest borough bit. which he doesnt know. of course not, becuase he's a pretentious tosser who has no idea where he is, its just trendy Brick Lane to him.

OGH's Libido

Nov 30, 2014
I thought this would annoy me. It didn't - why should they have to justify their prices in what seemed like a full cafe?

What a thread to get off the mark after years of NSC lurking!

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Good old Supply and Demand, if some idiot is happy paying 3 nicker for a bowl of American cereal covered in a subtle blend of semi-skimmed and banana essence then so be it. A fool and their money etc etc.
I thought it was funny, but personally I would not be indulging.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Personally I don't have a problem with the hipster movement per se, it's just like any other fashion and if people want to follow it then that's up to them. Don't get the outrage it attracts from some people.

However you will get everything you deserve if you're stupid enough to pay three pounds for a bowl of cereal, imported or not.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I was going to say, coming here soon. I then realised it's already here, beards, shiny ridiculous stuff and expensive. Ring any bells.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Beardist!!!

Flyers Dave had to shave his off as his beardist employers told him it wasn't appropriate for work. Beardism is becoming a real problem, it's the next battle ground!

That's why it came off! I had wondered.

#TeamCleanShaven

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Only a stones throw from where I work. I shall be avoiding like the plague. ****ing bearded twats.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Don't get me wrong, I think they are bellends and the idea is shit. Total "Nathan Barley" numpties

But the journalism was sensationalism of the worst kind, he was spoiling for a fight. In the grand scheme of gentrification of the East End of London, are the real enemies a copuple of bearded idiots selling other idiots overpriced cereal or is it something like the New Era Estate fiasco?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Personally I don't have a problem with the hipster movement per se, it's just like any other fashion and if people want to follow it then that's up to them. Don't get the outrage it attracts from some people.

However you will get everything you deserve if you're stupid enough to pay three pounds for a bowl of cereal, imported or not.

It's just a way people can channel their prejudice and hatred into a socially acceptable form.

They are selling a product, people are buying it, so what?

Having a go at them for opening an expensive cafe on brick lane is like having a go at someone for opening an expensive clothes shop on bond street.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I don't have a problem with it as a business. If they're importing cereals and they can find enough people to pay £3 a bowl then fair play.

I do have a problem with the owner's lack of appreciation for the area in which he is operating. He paints himself as the classic Shoreditch **** with his answers. I'm sure he's watching it and cringing.

I also agree that the interviewer has gone out with a one sided agenda in mind which is just too typical of our media today and why we often fail to get served the diet of news we should all deserve.

£3 for a bowl of Golden Nuggets? I wouldn't pay it, but if some would then it's up to them. As the driver pointed out, you can still get tea and a bagel for 50p each nearby, so it's not like they have swallowed up the competition.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I choked on my organic muesli and soya milk when I saw that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here