Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diarra - Looser or Tighter?

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Is he the answer to the midfield problems.
Will we still be running all over the place.
Looks good on paper but will he cover the cracks.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
I don't know much about him, if he's the type of midfielder that will dictate our game and use his experience to boss the midfield then yes, if on the other hand he's a millionaire version of Rohan Ince then no.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Clearly a good player, how fit he is or how long it will take him to get up to full fitness is another question.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He's not filling me with enthusiasm. He has some big clubs on his CV, Bayern and Liverpool, but does not seem to have played a single match for either of them, and yes he did play for France but during their worst period in a long time. And his career has long periods without playing as well.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't know much about him, if he's the type of midfielder that will dictate our game and use his experience to boss the midfield then yes, if on the other hand he's a millionaire version of Rohan Ince then no.

He's had 44 caps for France. I think somehow his ball control, retention and passing will be SLIIIIIIIIIIGHTLY better than Rohans.

scooter1

How soon is now?
With Crofts out for the season, no return in sight for Stephens and Kemi in some sort of mid-Sussex wilderness, we obviously need somebody who can put a bit of authority into a game. However, is Diarra going to be good/fit enough? I'd like to see Holla given a bit more of a run out, being as he is already our player and started well enough.
Please god, lets not have JFC and Gardener attempting to run our central midfield tonight. I truly hope the Derby debacle will put a stop to that ever happening again

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I don't know why I feel unenthusiastic about the type of player that for most of the past thirty years we'd have had no hope of attracting. I think it's because I have so little faith in Hyypia that the idea of him having a say in transfers fills me with gloom, even though that's clearly a better way forward with the right manager in place. Feels too much like another Agustein ... But maybe he's a Bridge or Upson. Sami will probably stick him in goal anyway.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
I don't know why I feel unenthusiastic about the type of player that for most of the past thirty years we'd have had no hope of attracting. I think it's because I have so little faith in Hyypia that the idea of him having a say in transfers fills me with gloom, even though that's clearly a better way forward with the right manager in place. Feels too much like another Agustein ... But maybe he's a Bridge or Upson. Sami will probably stick him in goal anyway.

That would be because like Sami's tactics on the pitch, we are making it up as we go along. There is no coherent recruitment policy at this club.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So we now have 4 defensive midfielders at the club, battling for usual one, occasional none, starting spots.

We all know about Ince.
Nobody knows what the deal is with Toko.

The big question has to be:-
'what happened to Holla?', he started the season like he was too good for the Championship.

(oh and don't start on a load of 'he's had his abilities coached out of him' and other cliched b*****ks).

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
He played in the 2006 World Cup, when France were runners-up. That's scarcely their worst period

Was going to type exactly the same thing. Even a half-fit but motivated Diarra would be a huge upgrade on our woeful central midfield.

Looks like this is a Hyypia signing. Goes to show what an awful job Burke et al did in the summer.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Diarra is a big unit (6' 3'') and likened to Patrick Viera, so would certainly beef up our midfield.

However Diarra has a mixed bag of a pedigree - and an unfortunate injury record. Extra care would be needed to get him match fit. I also share the concerns that at 33 he will be 'up' for putting a shift in. So it certainly makes sense that he should be here on trial, and no guarantees we will ever see him in a first team shirt. It will be a good test of Sami's legendary motivational skills......

Meanwhile I'm another hoping that Danny Holla is given another chance, he looked so classy when he first arrived. Enough faffing about with a series of loanees - Danny is ours, presumably he is fit and certainly couldn't do any worse than his rivals, who deserve to be rotated.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Jeez what a bunch of miseries. This is exciting news. If he's the lump in the middle that we need, not hugely mobile but knowing where to be to get right in the way, that should give the rest of the team chance to roam and flair it up freely. I'm enthused.

Right, off to the Christmas do now.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
FORTY FOUR caps for France. We are TWENTY SECOND in the second tier of English football.

I swear some of you would moan if we signed Cristiano ****ing Ronaldo.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I think the OP is getting at diarrhea jokes but no-one's picked up on it yet.

Personally I think he's a good player, you should see his runs

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He played in the 2006 World Cup, when France were runners-up. That's scarcely their worst period

Fair play. He also played in the final.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here