Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Proud to be gay

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think the first comment on the article is right.

Jake Haskell · Top Commenter · Loyola University Chicago School of Law
so, i'm gay, but... i don't really see the problem with this email. the car dealership just wanted to know if it was a gay bar. it doesn't even say it's going to cancel the party if it IS a gay bar, just that some of its workers are homophobic and it needs to "make them aware." i kinda think this bar owner made himself look like an asshole for canceling the booking.

if it had been me, i might have responded by saying something like, "no we are not a gay bar, but we have a lot of gay customers and we very much support the gay community. everyone is welcome here, but please be advised that anyone who makes homophobic comments, harasses or disrespects any of our patrons will be asked to leave."

i mean... it's his bar and he gets to do with it what he likes. but i'd rather people weren't rude on my behalf.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

so, i'm gay, but... i don't really see the problem with this email. the car dealership just wanted to know if it was a gay bar. it doesn't even say it's going to cancel the party if it IS a gay bar, just that some of its workers are homophobic and it needs to "make them aware." i kinda think this bar owner made himself look like an asshole for canceling the booking.

if it had been me, i might have responded by saying something like, "no we are not a gay bar, but we have a lot of gay customers and we very much support the gay community. everyone is welcome here, but please be advised that anyone who makes homophobic comments, harasses or disrespects any of our patrons will be asked to leave."

i mean... it's his bar and he gets to do with it what he likes. but i'd rather people weren't rude on my behalf.

Maybe he had second thoughts and used it as an excuse to cancel the booking? I know I would not be overly enthusiastic about a bunch of pissed-up homophobic car salesmen in a bar I owned. Would you want a bar FULL of lagered-up Jeremy Clarksons?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Maybe he had second thoughts and used it as an excuse to cancel the booking? I know I would not be overly enthusiastic about a bunch of pissed-up homophobic car salesmen in a bar I owned. Would you want a bar FULL of lagered-up Jeremy Clarksons?

It seems that it is not pissed up homophobic car salesmen but rather religious individuals who do not accept it. It is their religion though, so that is ok to be homophobic apparently. **** IT, I would have booked the venue and anyone that did not want to go because 'it is against their belief' can sit at home and think about why they are not there.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
What do you think is going to happen?

Nothing more or less than would happen in a straight bar, but with the obvious gender differences. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, but it does make some people feel uncomfortable. As the email cited "Religion" he could have been referring to Muslims in his party, some of whom will say that homosexuality is forbidden in the Koran.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Nothing more or less than would happen in a straight bar, but with the obvious gender differences. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, but it does make some people feel uncomfortable. As the email cited "Religion" he could have been referring to Muslims in his party, some of whom will say that homosexuality is forbidden in the Koran.

About time they made up their own mind about people rather than refer to some antiquated misogynistic, homophobic doctrine then huh. *GET THE PRINGLES OUT*

NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... As the email cited "Religion" he could have been referring to Muslims in his party, some of whom will say that homosexuality is forbidden in the Koran.

and plenty more would say drinking is forbidden in the Koran, so that's a pretty poor example. (and im well aware its not universally observed by practicing muslims) there's no religion i know of that bans going to a premises where other gay people might be, just not to engage in the acts. its a daft pretense becaue some staff got sniffy when they found out the venue. i find it daft unlikely anyone would book a party without having been to to the place and im pretty sure a bar called "proud" wouldnt hide its what its regular clientle are. methinks the owner recognised this was the opening gambit on a cancellation and cut the pretense.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

If that was the case then the presence of alcohol would have the same effect wouldn't it ? More likely to be evangelical christians......have seen a fair amount of their bigotry in the US

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
who ...cares ,honestly..??..the whole thing with gay / straight culture is that each wants to be left alone to get on with what they like doing...i personally couldn't care less what anyone does as long as it doesn't impact on me......live and let live...innit..!!??

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

I agree. Not that I'd slate the owner for responding the way he did but it does seem a bit of an over-reaction to me.

NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
and plenty more would say drinking is forbidden in the Koran, so that's a pretty poor example. (and im well aware its not universally observed by practicing muslims) there's no religion i know of that bans going to a premises where other gay people might be, just not to engage in the acts. its a daft pretense becaue some staff got sniffy when they found out the venue. i find it daft unlikely anyone would book a party without having been to to the place and im pretty sure a bar called "proud" wouldnt hide its what its regular clientle are. methinks the owner recognised this was the opening gambit on a cancellation and cut the pretense.

I said "he could have been referring to Muslims in his party", not that he was. Could've easily been Evangelists or some other dodgy Christian sect. It's got nothing to do with an individuals religion "banning" them from going somewhere, just that they might feel uncomfortable in an environment where they have preconceived and, probably, unwarranted concerns. He obviously didn't think it through when he booked it, in the first place.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here