Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Varndean College & Millwall

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Sociology students will be out tomorrow to learn about 'working class habits, masculinity, homophobia & racism, women challenging gender norms' with their posters illustrating a 'wall hooligan
Half a page in the Times also say the budding sociologists may 'even want to' talk to YOU. Look out

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
B4gDm60IYAA0snE.jpg

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
[h=1]
sitelogo

Students invited to social study at Millwall match[/h]
3405247.jpg

Students invited to social study at Millwall match

A COLLEGE has invited students to tomorrow’s Albion match against “notorious” Millwall for a sociological study.
Varndean College in Brighton is offering AS-level sociology students the chance to watch Brighton and Hove Albion take on the South London club at the American Express Community Stadium.
A poster for the trip said those involved will be able to see “gender performance” in action, including “the new lad” on show.
There will also be a chance to observe “issues around sexuality, race and ethnicity”, “women challenging gender norms” and to “even talk to football fans”.
A schedule of trips on Varndean’s website said the football excursion would help teach students about class, leisure and masculinity, as well as possible racism and homophobia.
But despite the description of Millwall as “notorious” on the poster, a spokeswoman for Sussex Police said they did not believe there was an increased risk.
She said: “Matches at Brighton and Hove Albion's Amex Stadium are categorised according to the likely risk posed by the fixture. The match against Millwall was assessed at the beginning of the season as category B, the same as the previous match against Fulham and five other teams this season.”
Pete Bailey, head of sociology at the college, told a national newspaper that Brighton was the college’s local team and “it just so happens that the only evening match around this time of year is the match against Millwall”.
He added: “Going to the football provides an opportunity to look at some of these things outside the classroom.”

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What a load of patronising bollocks. Quite frankly if some Millwall fan gets asked by one of these idiots 'Are you working class?' and the inevitable happens, they'll have asked for it. We don't need people like this at the Amex, fans don't go there to be studied like they're in a f*****g zoo.

Almost certainly going to lead to more clueless garbage like when that reporter thought 'Seagulls' was 'Sieg Heil' at Millwall a few years back. They will get all the homophobia they want though, I suspect...

D

Deleted member 22389

What a load of patronising bollocks. Quite frankly if some Millwall fan gets asked by one of these idiots 'Are you working class?' and the inevitable happens, they'll have asked for it. We don't need people like this at the Amex, fans don't go there to be studied like they're in a f*****g zoo.

Almost certainly going to lead to more clueless garbage like when that reporter thought 'Seagulls' was 'Sieg Heil' at Millwall a few years back. They will get all the homophobia they want though, I suspect...

Embarrasing isn't it. Not surprised if this doesn't make it to one of the bigger newspapers now.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patreon
May 3, 2012
Valencia
All the points that you're wetting your knickers over are actually topics covered in many, many case studies, peer reviewed journals and text books. Can they be related to a football ground? Yes, of course they can so stop being so sensitive. If it were Eton coming down I'd half understand, but Varndean? Half of the kids going will have come from Working Class backgrounds themselves.

I notice nobody was outraged, or probably even noticed, "women challenging gender norms". If you really don't believe me and think that these posh upstarts are coming down from their ivory tower to mock us working class salt of the earth folk with their stereotypes then search for all of their points of interest on: http://scholar.google.co.uk/ or if you really feel like doing some digging you can check out Pubmed but it's quite academically heavy: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/advanced

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
All the points that you're wetting your knickers over are actually topics covered in many, many case studies, peer reviewed journals and text books. Can they be related to a football ground? Yes, of course they can so stop being so sensitive. If it were Eton coming down I'd half understand, but Varndean? Half of the kids going will have come from Working Class backgrounds themselves.

I notice nobody was outraged, or probably even noticed, "women challenging gender norms". If you really don't believe me and think that these posh upstarts are coming down from their ivory tower to mock us working class salt of the earth folk with their stereotypes then search for all of their points of interest on: http://scholar.google.co.uk/ or if you really feel like doing some digging you can check out Pubmed but it's quite academically heavy: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/advanced

I agree with this.

This thread is hilarious -- it seems to me the advert clearly has a strongly humorous element. Irony clearly way over the head of the Argus, Sussex plod and others who've commented in apparently serious vein.

As it happens, and irony aside, nearly all of the factors listed can indeed be regularly observed at Brighton and other matches, and in a variety of other social contexts -- so what?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I agree with this.

This thread is hilarious -- it seems to me the advert clearly has a strongly humorous element. Irony clearly way over the head of the Argus, Sussex plod and others who've commented in apparently serious vein.

As it happens, and irony aside, nearly all of the factors listed can indeed be regularly observed at Brighton and other matches, and in a variety of other social contexts -- so what?

Exactly this.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here