Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPad air or iPad air 2?

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Good evening, I've come into a small amount of cash and am considering getting a new IPad. I used to have an Ipad 2, but it was dropped, smashed & never replaced (skint!)

I was wondering what is the difference between the above? We're casual web surfers & take a lot of photos of the new baby and use for face time etc.

I've seen the iPad Air 2 16gb for £399 at Tesco, if anyone's seen it cheaper let me know as this is currently the front runner... Thanks, James

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The iPad Air is amazing, the iPad Air 2 is more amazing-er.

I'd suggest against the 16gb of either though as the OS uses up a fair bit of that, only giving you 10-11gb useable, I think.

So, go for the 64gb iPad Air 2 if you can afford it (£479) or the 32gb iPad Air (£359) if you can't. You might find some slightly cheaper Air prices - e.g. Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-IPAD-...&qid=1418254443&sr=8-1&keywords=ipad+air+32gb but I doubt you'll see any money off the Air 2 anywhere.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I recently upgraded from an old iPad 2 16 Gb to an iPad Air 2 64 Gb and the difference is amazing. Most noticeable immediately were how much lighter, thinner and brighter the new one is and then how everything worked so fast. 32Gb should still be good (64 better still) as long as you don't flood it with apps.

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Balls, I wish I'd have waited until now, Argos are knocking out the 32gb IPad Air at £299... (£40 less than i paid)

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I got a 64gb iPad Air 2 in the US this week and it's pretty impressive. What's better is it cost me $600 (£390).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
my iPad 2 had just given up the ghost 
How old is it, and where did you get it from? A £400 tablet should be lasting longer than a few years (ie, you could make a claim).

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
How old is it, and where did you get it from? A £400 tablet should be lasting longer than a few years (ie, you could make a claim).

I got it from the apple store within the first few months it was released. Now it has just got slow and and struggles to do the easiest of tasks, such as web browse. When I mean slow it has just become unusable at times. So I have to switch to my Nokia Lumia Windows phone.
Really make a claim?
It is a shame that electronic items font last that long anymore (maybe some do)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I got it from the apple store within the first few months it was released.
If it's under 6 years old, then you'd be able to make a claim if it didn't work.
Now it has just got slow and and struggles to do the easiest of tasks, such as web browse. When I mean slow it has just become unusable at times. So I have to switch to my Nokia Lumia Windows phone.
Really make a claim?
If it was just old technology, and therefore slow, no you couldn't. It sounds like yours just needs resetting. Web browsing is not taxing, and should work fine on an iPad 2 (I have one).

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
If it's under 6 years old, then you'd be able to make a claim if it didn't work.
If it was just old technology, and therefore slow, no you couldn't. It sounds like yours just needs resetting. Web browsing is not taxing, and should work fine on an iPad 2 (I have one).

i done a complete reset on it about a month ago and it goes quick for a few days and then just goes back to slow mode. So rather annoying. But i wanted to move away from apple as i have a windows phone and actually prefer the OS. But still it should last longer than it has.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
i done a complete reset on it about a month ago and it goes quick for a few days and then just goes back to slow mode.
Take it to the store, they're very helpful, and might be able to work out what the problem is.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Got a MacBook Air last week, my first mac computer. Absolutely loving it so far.

What spec did you go for? I'll be replacing my laptop at some point over the next couple of months, and have a MacBook on my hit list.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
What spec did you go for? I'll be replacing my laptop at some point over the next couple of months, and have a MacBook on my hit list.

Absolutely no idea, it's the standard 13 inch model. Got it from the Apple store. I get the impression it's the perfect laptop for someone who wants it to do fairly simple things e.g. browsing, word processing, streaming. The one slight pain in the arse is that it doesn't have a disc drive. Personally, I still watch quite a few dvds, and while the usb drive I got with the macbook works absolutely fine, I would rather it had a disc drive built in. The only macbook that still has that is the old macbook pro. These are still available and actually have more memory than the air, but are older, slower, and the model hasn't changed in 4 years.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Absolutely no idea, it's the standard 13 inch model. Got it from the Apple store. I get the impression it's the perfect laptop for someone who wants it to do fairly simple things e.g. browsing, word processing, streaming. The one slight pain in the arse is that it doesn't have a disc drive. Personally, I still watch quite a few dvds, and while the usb drive I got with the macbook works absolutely fine, I would rather it had a disc drive built in. The only macbook that still has that is the old macbook pro. These are still available and actually have more memory than the air, but are older, slower, and the model hasn't changed in 4 years.

For the price of a couple of DVD's, you can get yourself a USB disk drive...http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SE-208DB-TSBS-Portable-External/dp/B008X0TX0W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1385985811&sr=8-4&keywords=dvd+burner+mac

I've got a MBP and have barely used the drive in years. No surprise that Apple dumped them in favour of sliming down the design.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
The iPad Air is amazing, the iPad Air 2 is more amazing-er.

I'd suggest against the 16gb of either though as the OS uses up a fair bit of that, only giving you 10-11gb useable, I think.

So, go for the 64gb iPad Air 2 if you can afford it (£479) or the 32gb iPad Air (£359) if you can't. You might find some slightly cheaper Air prices - e.g. Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-IPAD-...&qid=1418254443&sr=8-1&keywords=ipad+air+32gb but I doubt you'll see any money off the Air 2 anywhere.

Just looked at buying an Air2 to replace my ageing ipad3 and see they don't do a 32gb, it jumps form 16 to 64gb.

Whilst i understand the Air2 ir better, what is better or what can it do that the Air1 can't? i use it for just web surfing and the odd email etc, don't play games or watch videos or use many app's, 1/2 dozen at the most, am i going to see the full benefit of the 2 or better off not spending money on updates the Air2 has that i don't need and just buy an Air1?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here