Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite beer and why?

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Can you pick just one beer as your all time favourite? Is that actually possible?

Maybe a top three...

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Impossible to pick one.

At home: Warka strong. Double malt Polish lager. Very tasty indeed.

Pub: in winter, Guiness. Reliable and comforting on a cold evening. In summer, Peroni. Light, refreshing and perfect on a warm summers evening.

Nostalgia beer: King and Barnes festive. First ale I ever tried, used to serve it in the villager in Findon. I haven't see it for years. Is it still available?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Alice Beer.

Always had I thing about her.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Just had a single bottle of Triple Karmaliet. That's my favourite beer of tonight.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I found Adnam's Ghost Ship in the pub before the Norwich game.
Fabulous stuff.
Visited Adnams in Southwold on the way home with a dozen bottles of the stuff for Christmas

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Lager: Budvar, purity law guarantee makes it lovely

Bitter: Fullers ESB, 5.3% out of the jumps, and a bit more out of the bottle

Came unstuck with it at three consicutive Hove Town Hall beer festivals :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Nostalgia beer: King and Barnes festive. First ale I ever tried, used to serve it in the villager in Findon. I haven't see it for years. Is it still available?

When Hall and Woodhouse closed down the Horsham Brewery they tried (and failed) to replicate the Sussex Bitter and Old over at Blandford, don't think they even bother trying these days but I have boycotted their beers and pubs since the takeover so not certain.

Andy Hepworth was K&B head brewer and has set up a micro in Horsham. I would guess that the Iron Horse at 4.8% is closest to the old Festive, personally I am a big fan of the Hepworth Old which is very, very similar to the K&B version :drink:

Beer range can be seen at : http://hepworthbrewery.co.uk/draught-range/

I don't think I could ever get my favourite beers down to just 3, my top dozen would be a hard task!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
No1 Old Speckled Hen, wonderful in a bottle, heaven in a cask
No2 Old Empire, A great light ale
No3 Guiness Export, very nice, and very strong

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
When Hall and Woodhouse closed down the Horsham Brewery they tried (and failed) to replicate the Sussex Bitter and Old over at Blandford, don't think they even bother trying these days but I have boycotted their beers and pubs since the takeover so not certain.

Andy Hepworth was K&B head brewer and has set up a micro in Horsham. I would guess that the Iron Horse at 4.8% is closest to the old Festive, personally I am a big fan of the Hepworth Old which is very, very similar to the K&B version :drink:

Shame that Festive has gone for good. Thanks for the tip about Hepworth. I'll look out for them in future.

Cheers

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Long man - Sussex Pride.
Dark Star - Hophead.
Harveys - Old Ale.

I will probably change my mind after I post this.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Robinsons Best (Unicorn)

Not trendy, fancy or foreign, just a decent pint. I like it.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Dark Star Hophead is my number one by a long way. APA from Dark Star & Long Man are 2&3. In the winter Harvey's Old Ale & Long Man Old Man are great too.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I really like Doom Bar but recently I have found it hit and miss.
I was recently working in a pub in Cornwall and had this conversation with the landlord he told me that it is now so popular and sold uk wide that a lot of the barrels are stored outside at the small Rock brewery and it can affect the taste.
So my number one is Jail Ale brewed by the small Dartmoor Brewery it is really popular down here and for me its bang on.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here