Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just seen on Sky Sports (not Albion related)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just seen on Sky Sports News that Glasgow Rangers have announced that their crowd against Cowdenbeath on Saturday of 28,000 was 'exaggerated'. After taking into account empty ST holders' seats, the attendance is now officially 19,000.

Setting a precedent?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Just seen on Sky Sports News that Glasgow Rangers have announced that their crowd against Cowdenbeath on Saturday of 28,000 was 'exaggerated'. After taking into account empty ST holders' seats, the attendance is now officially 19,000.

Setting a precedent?

Not sure what your point is! Is this a disguised dig at the club's policy (and to be fair, the policy of most clubs) to release info on tickets sold rather than those actually through the gate?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not sure what your point is! Is this a disguised dig at the club's policy (and to be fair, the policy of most clubs) to release info on tickets sold rather than those actually through the gate?

Errmmmm.......yes.......

Didn't mean to disguise it though.......

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Attendance figures used to be based on how many people were in the ground.

We were one of the last clubs to stop announcing attendance in this way, so it's not really a dig at the Albion, more a desire to know how many people are actually at each game, rather than how many tickets have been sold. I share this desire.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would have thought that for tax and VAT purposes the club have to declare the number of tickets sold and paid for rather than the actual attendance through the gate and then pay the dues on that figure

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I would have thought that for tax and VAT purposes the club have to declare the number of tickets sold and paid for rather than the actual attendance through the gate and then pay the dues on that figure

They have to declare the amount of revenue received to the HM revenue and customs, not how many bodies came through the gates; a club could have had a 'special offer' and let in a couple of thousand school kids for free. The attendance at the ground is different from the revenue received.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They have to declare the amount of revenue received to the HM revenue and customs, not how many bodies came through the gates; a club could have had a 'special offer' and let in a couple of thousand school kids for free. The attendance at the ground is different from the revenue received.

That is what Rangers did declared the paying public then adjusted it back to those who attended, which is surely wrong as the ST who didnt attend had paid for their seats.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
That is what Rangers did declared the paying public then adjusted it back to those who attended, which is surely wrong as the ST who didnt attend had paid for their seats.

What is 'wrong' about stating the actual attendance at a game of football?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Not at all, I think that it is the correct procedure to declare the number of seats sold.

But surely the 'attendance' at a football game should be just that. The number of people attending the game.

Obviously they have to declare the revenue for the tax authorities, but that is nothing to do with the number of people at the game.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not at all, I think that it is the correct procedure to declare the number of seats sold.
No. It's the revenue collected that's the issue. Say they have 18K supporters in the ground. 5K have got in the cheap seats @£15 a throw; 10K are in the 'average seats @ £25 a pop; 2K+ have paid for delux seats @£45, and the rest are in the executive boxes at a month's wages for you and me each. Plus 8K who've paid but haven't turned up.

The attendance is 18K. The amount of revenue generated is something entirely different.

Clubs currently do state the number of seats sold (but not occupied) - laughable when we see ranks of empty seats on MoTD or The Championship. If Rangers are breaking ranks to declare how many actually bother to turn up, then I for one say fair play to them.

And again I ask, as per my OP, have they set a precedent (for other clubs to follow).

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Why not declare the seats sold as a separate item to attendance but at the same time; I'd have thought there's the health and safety issue to consider in case of accident or emergency - the emergency services would not want to go into dangerous situations searching for seven or eight thousand folk who are safely at home watching Sky.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No. It's the revenue collected that's the issue. Say they have 18K supporters in the ground. 5K have got in the cheap seats @£15 a throw; 10K are in the 'average seats @ £25 a pop; 2K+ have paid for delux seats @£45, and the rest are in the executive boxes at a month's wages for you and me each. Plus 8K who've paid but haven't turned up.

The attendance is 18K. The amount of revenue generated is something entirely different.

Clubs currently do state the number of seats sold (but not occupied) - laughable when we see ranks of empty seats on MoTD or The Championship. If Rangers are breaking ranks to declare how many actually bother to turn up, then I for one say fair play to them.

And again I ask, as per my OP, have they set a precedent (for other clubs to follow).

Nobody is arguing about the money collected but my point is that if they have sold 26000 seats at whatever price than surely that is the figure that should be declared as the official attendance. The actual cash received is a matter between the club and the authorities. The fact that 8000 have paid but not turned up is irrelevant they have paid so their seats are sold.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Nobody is arguing about the money collected but my point is that if they have sold 26000 seats at whatever price than surely that is the figure that should be declared as the official attendance. The actual cash received is a matter between the club and the authorities. The fact that 8000 have paid but not turned up is irrelevant they have paid so their seats are sold.

So what? It's a question of choice, not procedure.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I assume clubs do this because it helps when they're telling sponsors and advertisers how successful they are. It's annoying though as it messes with history in some cases. For instance, any lower league club that plays Arsenal away in the Cup will probably end up with that being the biggest crowd ever to have watched them....even though the ground is barely half full.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
There must have been a bigger laugh at Ibrox than the Amex when they announced the crowd for the Cowdenbeath game than ours against Wigan. Maybe that's why they have come clean on the actual as opposed to seats sold.

SAC

May 21, 2014
We were one of the last clubs to stop announcing attendance in this way, so it's not really a dig at the Albion, more a desire to know how many people are actually at each game, rather than how many tickets have been sold. I share this desire.

This is often stated on here but does anyone know if it is true?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here