Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What has the Board seen in Hyypia that we can't see

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
They gave him a long, no-doubt well-paid contract. They certainly can't believe he's doing a good job. Unless, of course, relegation is all part of being Premiership ready! One club, one ambition- now we know what it is!

scooter1

How soon is now?
Having just read the Argus article, perhaps its his work rate and work ethic that they believe in. It could also be(as has been widely speculated) that a lot of the players that he is working with are not players he was involved in the recruitment of, and are not the type of players that he would have chosen.
I'm not defending him, I think he has to go, but so does Burke as I think he is the problem. I can't see Hyppia turning this around, I just don't think he's got what it takes

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The hard work that he puts in on a day to day basis, his efforts during coaching, the quality of the arguments he puts forward having lost Crofts, Stephens and March from our first choice midfield? I'm not saying he's the right man for the job, but we don't have a scooby what he actually does on a day to day basis, we just see the outputs on a Saturday afternoon, part of which are down to him, part due to the players and part to the resources he has at his disposal.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
The hard work that he puts in on a day to day basis, his efforts during coaching, the quality of the arguments he puts forward having lost Crofts, Stephens and March from our first choice midfield? I'm not saying he's the right man for the job, but we don't have a scooby what he actually does on a day to day basis, we just see the outputs on a Saturday afternoon, part of which are down to him, part due to the players and part to the resources he has at his disposal.

I know what you are saying but against that he was playing Crofts left side of the midfield which was a total mystery and weren't March/ Stephens out before he got here?

el punal

Perhaps the same right/wrong intuition that Mike Bamber saw in recruiting Alan Mullery as manager - a player who was a leader, highly respected on the pitch and an international of some repute. But, a total novice in football management, however the gamble paid off.

Fast forward some forty years, same scenario. Bloom takes a punt on Hyypia - and the gamble, so far, has failed. Time to cash in your chips on this one Tony?

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Loyalty would be my guess. Hyypia failing here would spell the end of any credible managerial career for him - he wanted to come to us, the Board wanted him, and I guess they must know that they've let him down on the signings / squad situation.

What I can't understand is, if they are going to be loyal to Sami, (1) why they haven't stepped up efforts to bring in an experienced number 2 and (2) why the DoF/recruitment structure appears untouchable when it's obvious to all it's not working.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I know what you are saying but against that he was playing Crofts left side of the midfield which was a total mystery and wevent March/ Stephens out before he got here?

Agreed, but we had Andrews last season who did a good holding job in midfield, the previous season we had Hammond. We've not replaced Bridcutt or Barnes with players who work as hard, and the imagination given by Orlandi and Spanish Dave (even though neither were great last season) is missing too.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
Board have written off the season. Despite our bad run they doubt we will actually go down.

That gives the remainder of the season for Hyypia to prove himself.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Jesus. One thing I will say is that Bloom's investment is giving him a hell of a lot of breathing space. Anyone else and we'd be calling for the chairman's head as well after this crazy decision before pissing off half way around the world.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Board have written off the season. Despite our bad run they doubt we will actually go down.

That gives the remainder of the season for Hyypia to prove himself.

I suspect that's the case but I wish I could share their optimism. Blackpool will finish beneath us, almost certainly, but which other two teams? I agree that Sami didn't get chance to choose the players he's working with, but that's true of any number of managers. You need to be able to work with the resources you've got, and inspire those around you. This season we've been a horrible mess on the pitch, and we aren't even managing to "win ugly". From my seat I can't see any signs that Sami is improving our chances of staying up but Tony and the board must have some kind of insight that we don't.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I don t think much will happen before Fulham away. He was their choice and people don t like to admit they are wrong. If it does not improve then he will get the sack so a new manager can do a few deals in january.
If Sami wants to keep his job i think he needs to pick a midfield with some character and experience and play a settled team and hope the players can drag him out of this hole.
Holla needs to start a run of games IMHO

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don t think much will happen before Fulham away. He was their choice and people don t like to admit they are wrong. If it does not improve then he will get the sack so a new manager can do a few deals in january.
If Sami wants to keep his job i think he needs to pick a midfield with some character and experience and play a settled team and hope the players can drag him out of this hole.
Holla needs to start a run of games IMHO

It's not just Sami though. The whole set up is a huge mistake.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
A determination to succeed against adversity? New quality signings coming in January to support him, perhaps?

Sacking the manager should always a last resort and TB appears to be a loyal employer. I suspect that their view is back him for now, see how the rest of December goes, have contingencies in place in case things do not improve.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Well at least he's highly unlikely to be moving on the summer. Now that will make a change!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here