Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ipswich Town avoid Financial Fair Play penalty after reduced losses

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
To be fair, Mick McCarthy has done remarkably well considering he has not spent anything on transfer fees for the last two years. Clearly Ipswich's scouting and recruiting setup is pretty spot on.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
As I said last season, McCarthy is an excellent manager for this division. They've pretty much always got the better of us in our fixtures recently bar a 3-0 at the Amex, Barnes brace? It shows what you can achieve with an experienced manager who doesn't have someone else signing the players...

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
But if we had McCarthy he'd be pilloried for dour/ long ball tactics and hounded out for constant mid table finishes. And if by any chance we got the Premier League he'd be hammered for our 4 points after 7 games and 10 points after 18 games because our centre forward who scored 18 goals in the Championship will have failed to score in 11 games.

OK, Sami's shit and we maybe sleepwalking towards L1 , but don't kid ourselves the next manager will get an easier ride.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I read this, then I consider Agustien, Toko, O'Grady, McCourt, Holla and I wonder what the hell we're doing with our recruitment.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But if we had McCarthy he'd be pilloried for dour/ long ball tactics and hounded out for constant mid table finishes. And if by any chance we got the Premier League he'd be hammered for our 4 points after 7 games and 10 points after 18 games because our centre forward who scored 18 goals in the Championship will have failed to score in 11 games.

OK, Sami's shit and we maybe sleepwalking towards L1 , but don't kid ourselves the next manager will get an easier ride.
There are some who only post to criticise the current manager, whoever it is.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
As I said last season, McCarthy is an excellent manager for this division. They've pretty much always got the better of us in our fixtures recently bar a 3-0 at the Amex, Barnes brace? It shows what you can achieve with an experienced manager who doesn't have someone else signing the players...

I believe that Dave Bowman & Ian Evans are responsible for signing players at ITFC. That said, they have worked with McCarthy previously, but they are the driving force behind recruitment there, a not dissimilar set up to our own. I think the truth may be that ours just aren't very good at it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ipswich finished below the Albion in each of the last three seasons, and were knocked out of the FA Cup in the third round each time too.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
At the moment though my Ipswich supporting friends are rather enjoying their position compared to ours especially after all the rumpus we made about that banner.

Don't blame them. The precious reaction to the banner (which itself was a clumsy way to get a message across) on here was cringeworthy.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Agustien, Toko, O'Grady, McCourt, Holla, Tex and Baldock

I bet Mick McCarty would get them performing.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I believe that Dave Bowman & Ian Evans are responsible for signing players at ITFC. That said, they have worked with McCarthy previously, but they are the driving force behind recruitment there, a not dissimilar set up to our own. I think the truth may be that ours just aren't very good at it.

Ah, fair enough. But if they have worked with him previously they would presumably know exactly what players he's after. The same 'partnership' has never seemed apparent here.

As for Ipswich finishing below us in previous seasons, they have slowly but surely built a better team over time despite the sale of some of their best players (Cresswell was brilliant for them according to my mate who supports them)... And they really haven't splashed out on transfers either, most of their signings have been on free's.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Norwich fans must be particularly hating their success, especially after their employment of a radio pundit has backfired

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
One of the best young players I've seen this season is Tyrone Mings. Superb at left back when we played them at Portman Road. Quick for a big lad and very decent going forward. Supposedly being watched by several Prem clubs.

It is a pity that our own scouting network didn't identify him, after all we've needed a first choice LB for a couple of seasons now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't blame them. The precious reaction to the banner (which itself was a clumsy way to get a message across) on here was cringeworthy.

We weren't sponsored by American Express at the time, it was still Brighton & Hove jobs. Only the stadium and the AITC were. It was a ridiculous banner, which deserved the derision it got at the time. They soon took it down.

hastings

Jan 15, 2010
Suffolk
One of the best young players I've seen this season is Tyrone Mings. Superb at left back when we played them at Portman Road. Quick for a big lad and very decent going forward. Supposedly being watched by several Prem clubs.

It is a pity that our own scouting network didn't identify him, after all we've needed a first choice LB for a couple of seasons now.

A really grounded person as well. Often see him in the gym and happy to have a quick chat. I was reading only yesterday of his decision to serve food to the homeless at Christmas and pay himself to go to sprint school in the states. Certainly he is destined for better things and is now attracting the attention of U-21's as well as those prem teams you touch upon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here