Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eric Garner's death in New York City.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With heavy handed American techniques throughout the world being discussed on NSC, how about closer to home.

Eric Garner was choked to death using an illegal hold (which is clearly visible on the video in the Guardian report), and yet the officer in question has been deemed to have not broken any laws.

Garner, who'd broken up a street fight, and was then being spoken to about selling individual cigarettes wound up dead within 3 minutes.

This on the back of Ferguson has lead to wholesale protests, further straining of racial tensions and 'I can't breathe' being the cause célèbre throughout the media.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Eric_Garner

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ant-breathe-eric-garner-chokehold-death-video

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
that's disgusting. How can they justify that when he clearly had his hands up to indicate he wasn't a danger. Poor bloke, must have had **** his whole life for being a big bloke, and died as they thought that level of force was acceptable as he was a unit.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
that's disgusting. How can they justify that when he clearly had his hands up to indicate he wasn't a danger.

i'm told, though havent seen myself, there is footage of him being aggressive and charging the cops before hand. you have to ask why there are so many police there in the first place for such a non-event. still doesnt justify the illegal methods, nor the myopic coverup to decide there is no charges against the officers.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
There are still demonstrations being held about this with Bill de Blasio, the Mayor, promising a full investigation. Eric Garner’s family is taking out a separate civil action against the NYPD.
Ciggarettes.jpg

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Yeah yeah, boo fricking hoo everyone is innocent the police are all murderers, all the facts are completely cut and dry and everyone with an opinion is suddenly an expert on every aspect of the case. I cant see how this is relevant to 'closer to home' as per the OP?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah yeah, boo fricking hoo everyone is innocent the police are all murderers, all the facts are completely cut and dry and everyone with an opinion is suddenly an expert on every aspect of the case. I cant see how this is relevant to 'closer to home' as per the OP?
Errrr because these heavy handed techniques carried out by Americans are being performed on Americans, in America.

Which is somewhere they would call 'closer to home'.

I guess you need the rest of this story explained to you twice, as well.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
One of the differences in this case compared with the one in Ferguson is the video evidence. You can clearly hear Garner saying “I can’t breathe”. I’ve always had a lot of respect for the NYPD who, like the Metropolitan police, have a tough job to do in often very difficult circumstances. My first hand experience of them is that they are generally very polite and helpful. But there is something about this case that has left a bad taste with a lot of New Yorkers.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Errrr because these heavy handed techniques carried out by Americans are being performed on Americans, in America.

Which is somewhere they would call 'closer to home'.

I guess you need the rest of this story explained to you twice, as well.

Nope, your opening line is poorly written and your reference 'how about closer to home' coming from someone presumably in the UK suggests to me that you are referring to the UK. I don't need the story explaining to me again to see that you are simply posting this to further your obvious anti police agenda.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
US police are militarised, they are corrupt, they are brutal. Every week someone is killed by the cops, every day innocent people are harassed and brutalised by them. They send SWAT squads for routine petty crimes. They shoot dogs for no other reason than gratification. They use brute force when it's not required, they tazer restrained suspects, they shoot to kill.

It has become a police state. They seem to deliberately employ low IQ officers, as they need people to follow orders rather than use common sense.

I don't think the American people will put up with it for much longer.

actually its about 3 killed by cops per day, (over 1000 last year ),
both black and brown anericans are pretty fed-up with the situation in the USA as the police are , getting away with murder .

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nope, your opening line is poorly written and your reference 'how about closer to home' coming from someone presumably in the UK suggests to me that you are referring to the UK. I don't need the story explaining to me again to see that you are simply posting this to further your obvious anti police agenda.
Blimey you do need everything explained twice.

The CIA are taking a kicking for their behaviour around the world in their War Against Terror.
Coincidental the American police are also taking a kicking as the 'I can't breathe' campaign gathers pace.

I simply posted this connection as the Garner case has been very prominent in the media I follow.

I have no anti police agenda.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
actually its about 3 killed by cops per day, (over 1000 last year ),
the blacks , and browns are pretty fed-up with the situation in the USA

When you consider there are over 900,000 police officers in the US and the ridiculous level of gun crime in that country i'm somewhat surprised that more people are not killed by the police every day, its also worth pointing out that already this year 114 police officers have been killed this year in the line of duty, can you imagine those stats in this country?! And all this guff about 'shoot to kill'? Sorry but what other shooting policy is there? if you have to shoot someone its lethal force and you can reasonably expect them to die, you don't shoot to hurt or shoot to injure you shoot to stop them and the reality of that is that they are likely to die.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
i'm told, though havent seen myself, there is footage of him being aggressive and charging the cops before hand. you have to ask why there are so many police there in the first place for such a non-event. still doesnt justify the illegal methods, nor the myopic coverup to decide there is no charges against the officers.

would make sense as there is always two sides to every story, and they certainly seemed intent to take him down. Hard to reserve judgement after watching just that video though.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Blimey you do need everything explained twice.

The CIA are taking a kicking for their behaviour around the world in their War Against Terror.
Coincidental the American police are also taking a kicking as the 'I can't breathe' campaign gathers pace.

I simply posted this connection as the Garner case has been very prominent in the media I follow.

I have no anti police agenda.

I dont anything explaining twice but if that pointless repetitive comment makes you feel clever then crack on fella.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
would make sense as there is always two sides to every story, and they certainly seemed intent to take him down. Hard to reserve judgement after watching just that video though.
It's a tough ask to believe anything that happened previously warranted the level of 'take down' Garner received.
Especially as he was clearly in no way threatening anybody else at the time.

The question being repeatedly asked is 'would a big white guy have been treated the same'?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
America is truly a strange country with strange inhabitants.....there are a lot of unbelievably thick people there , on a recent international trip i was going through airport security at hong kong , despite all the signage and what i thought was by now, common knowledge of what you can and cannot take on a plane , the young Americans bag proved to contain a large clip seal bag containing large bottles of liquid , and two large pairs of scissors , one with the centre pin removed so he basically had two six inch blades in his bag , he then decided to argue the toss for nearly five minutes until i and other weary travellers pointed out that he was dense , stupid and basically pissing everybody off behind him....he continued to argue and was taken away somewhere.....just saying like.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
It's a tough ask to believe anything that happened previously warranted the level of 'take down' Garner received.
Especially as he was clearly in no way threatening anybody else at the time.

The question being repeatedly asked is 'would a big white guy have been treated the same'?

With all respect it is a tough ask for anyone without any law enforcement experience to understand what is or isn't a reasonable course of action to take under the circumstances and an even tougher ask for either you or I to form a reasonable opinion and judgement based on an incomplete YouTube clip of the incident and unverifiable accounts from persons who may or may not have been present during some or all of the incident.

The question supposedly being repeatedly asked is just another way of accusing the police officers of being racist without any evidence of that being the case.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
America is truly a strange country with strange inhabitants.....there are a lot of unbelievably thick people there , on a recent international trip i was going through airport security at hong kong , despite all the signage and what i thought was by now, common knowledge of what you can and cannot take on a plane , the young Americans bag proved to contain a large clip seal bag containing large bottles of liquid , and two large pairs of scissors , one with the centre pin removed so he basically had two six inch blades in his bag , he then decided to argue the toss for nearly five minutes until i and other weary travellers pointed out that he was dense , stupid and basically pissing everybody off behind him....he continued to argue and was taken away somewhere.....just saying like.

No other nationality has ever done this ever.

I would say yanks are in General far more airport security savvy and supportive than most other nationalities. Still let's not spoil the narrative eh.

I have just come through security at Miami and everyone far more switched on than the uk or indeed Hong Kong which I transited through last Friday and do so regularly.

Last edited:

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption

Seemingly if you are morbidly obese it seems best to avoid any kind of conflict with anyone let alone the police who if the circumstances present themselves may need to get hands on which will inevitably raise your heart rate. The case above really is tragic I'm sure those officers didn't go in there thinking 'yay lets go and duff up the fat downs kid' and the poor lad wouldn't have had a clue what was going on, no winners in this one.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here