Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leicester, West Brom and Palace interested in Cook

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I know this has been gone over, but at the moment it is particularly galling to see stories like this in the paper. If only we had managed this situation better we could have a central defensive paring of home grown players at the moment. Bah.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Not sure can't remember the original circumstances, paper talk but they say fee offered would be in region of £3m.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
But would he have been the same player without regular first team football which he wouldn't have got here (don't forget prior to this season our defence was superb).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Poyet didn't see them breaking into the first team as he liked experience and buying players. Can't blame the club for letting them go and I'm pretty sure Cook has a sell on clause.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Not sure can't remember the original circumstances, paper talk but they say fee offered would be in region of £3m.

The £1M we would get from the sell on clause might come in handy for next season.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
But would he have been the same player without regular first team football which he wouldn't have got here (don't forget prior to this season our defence was superb).

He WAS good enough to get more match time, he as unreasonably dropped after good enough performances to keep to shirt & understandably walked

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
As the OP said the sell on will make up the shortfall in lost ST revenue WHEN we are in L1 with the clueless finn onboard

Dec 29, 2011
A quality young English defender who plays fullback as well as centre back. Now scouted by Premier League teams. How much did we sell him for?

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
At the time Greer, Dunk and El-Abd were ahead of him, and that was before we got someone of unbelievable quality in Matty Upson.

We did the right thing for the player and the club at the time as long as we wacked a sell-on in there.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He had a great game against Liverpool at RB as well.
He was at centre back for that game, if you mean Liverpool at the Amex? Dunk was either suspended or a booking shy if a ban (think it was the latter), so Cook started instead.

As others have said, hindsight is great but at the time he was 4th choice and wasn't content with that - rightly so. We did the best bit of business possible at that time, everyone knew how good he was but he wasn't going to be in our team any time soon.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He was at centre back for that game, if you mean Liverpool at the Amex? Dunk was either suspended or a booking shy if a ban (think it was the latter), so Cook started instead.

As others have said, hindsight is great but at the time he was 4th choice and wasn't content with that - rightly so. We did the best bit of business possible at that time, everyone knew how good he was but he wasn't going to be in our team any time soon.

I stand corrected, I thought he had a game at RB for some reason.

Depends on if a manager wants to develop the youngsters or go for a quick fix.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Well, at the time he was playing Lewis Dunk, developing a very fine youngster who is now our best centre back. Gordon Greer was and still is the captain, and the defence was always strong under Gus. There wasn't a place for Steve Cook, not with El-Abd to come back in, and not without an injury to Dunk or Greer. We only signed Upson, who didn't do badly by the way, quick fix or not, after Cook was gone. We were just unlucky his breakthrough coincided with Dunk's, and Dunk was better at that time. It's a shame for us, but sometimes the world doesn't work out the way you would like it to.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
It wasn't like he was an unknown....he was highly rated and the few appearances he made including against Liverpool he looked very good.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

He did have a very good game at RB against someone at the Amex. I thought it was a Prem League team too. Sorry, but can't recall which team though.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
He did have a very good game at RB against someone at the Amex. I thought it was a Prem League team too. Sorry, but can't recall which team though.
He played at RB vs Southampton in that unexpected 3-0 victory in Jan 2012. Promptly sold the very next day!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here