Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drones.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Anyone else catch the J/V show on Radio2 yesterday re-Drones ? If so are they a potential terrorist weapon,something that was never mentioned 'on air'. Could one carry 1lb of Semtex and fly close up to a aircraft coming in to land or at V1 and be detonated ?

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I can see catapult sales rising.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Anyone else catch the J/V show on Radio2 yesterday re-Drones ? If so are they a potential terrorist weapon,something that was never mentioned 'on air'. Could one carry 1lb of Semtex and fly close up to a aircraft coming in to land or at V1 and be detonated ?

Maybe they could be used to scare England bowlers in to speeding up their over rate ?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I can see catapult sales rising.

Count me in! I can see drones being the next target for the anti 'elf and safety' brigade when people are told that actually it probably isn't safe for some numptee who probably hasn't even bothered reading the manual to be flying these things over a built up area. I'm dreading boxing day.....

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
"Since the beginning of this year, there have been nearly 200 reports of drones or model planes coming close to manned aircraft in over 30 states across the country.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/federal...-reports-of-drones-interfering-with-aircraft/

And that's just in America...

I think it's a legitimate concern.

I'd put it on a par with shining lasers in pilots' eyes from the ground. That said, surely if a small, privately-owned UAV were to collide with a large commercial jet airliner, any damage would be no greater than a bird strike.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
just the same risk as model airplanes and helicopters.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
I'd put it on a par with shining lasers in pilots' eyes from the ground. That said, surely if a small, privately-owned UAV were to collide with a large commercial jet airliner, any damage would be no greater than a bird strike.

The thing with the cockpit window, it's full of heating elements. A laser beam shining though it just turns the cockpit into rave making hard for the pilots to see. There are no real studies to suggest a bird strike would be the same as a drone hitting the aircraft. For engines anyway. I'm sure the FAA will make manufactures fire drones into their engines as part of their intake collision tests sometime in the near future though.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

This one of Prague came up several times on my FB timeline recently. His filming skills need work. Made me feel a bit sick watching it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

It was believed a bird strike caused the ditching into the Hudson river of US Airways Flight 1549! There has been two reports of drones being too near Southend airport and Heathrow. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30369701

Commercial operators of drones have to have training and gain a licence to fly and there are plenty of restrictions as to where you can fly. Private operators can pretty much do as they please.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here