Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's Lurking in Your Drinks Cupboard?

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Sorting out my drinks cupboard I've just found stuff from christmases past...
Advocat
Sherry
Irish Cream
L'esprit de Orange
Some unidentifiable liquids probably from Lidl
and right at the back a small Babycham.

What festive drinks have you bought just because it's christmas?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
a 1971 bottle of Port

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Never really found a way to use my bottle of Midori. I also have concerns about my blue curacao and banana liqueur (these are separate - not mixed).

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
a 1971 bottle of Port

Shame it wasn't a year earlier. A '70 would be a fabulous find.

On topic: I've kept a bottle of babycham that my Grandmother bought about a year before she died. I think I may also have a bottle of Campari in there; I can't remember why/how I acquired it.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Shame it wasn't a year earlier. A '70 would be a fabulous find.

On topic: I've kept a bottle of babycham that my Grandmother bought about a year before she died. I think I may also have a bottle of Campari in there; I can't remember why/how I acquired it.

I have a '62 brandy too, but, apparently, not worth as much as the Port. Have a few nice bottles of wine stored also.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I have a '62 brandy too, but, apparently, not worth as much as the Port. Have a few nice bottles of wine stored also.

I'd be surprised if the brandy was worth less, tbh. '71 wasn't a "declared" vintage for Port as it was quite poor; '70 was, however, in the top 5 or 6 vintages of the century. Wine is a passion of mine and has been since I was, ummm, let's say 18. It's only in the last couple of years that I've been drinking more than I've been buying, with the consequence that my cellar is big enough to stock a decent sized restaurant!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Never really found a way to use my bottle of Midori. I also have concerns about my blue curacao and banana liqueur (these are separate - not mixed).

Blue Curaçao in the top of a snakebite to make a Green B*stard.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'd be surprised if the brandy was worth less, tbh. '71 wasn't a "declared" vintage for Port as it was quite poor; '70 was, however, in the top 5 or 6 vintages of the century. Wine is a passion of mine and has been since I was, ummm, let's say 18. It's only in the last couple of years that I've been drinking more than I've been buying, with the consequence that my cellar is big enough to stock a decent sized restaurant!

I'll take a look tonight, we had an insurance report done and this gear was added. Fairly sure the Port was '71 but now you've got me thinking!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I'm with you on this. If you can't clear down some of this stuff over Christmas / New Year you never will.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Oooo. Exciting. If it's a '70 (or '77) you're onto a winner.

Problem is it's one of those you'd never sell and every time you think about opening it due to a celebration someone turns up with bubbly and you feel duty bound to open that. To be honest I collected a bit a few years ago and haven't given it any real attention in the last few years. Helped someone with a fantastic bottle of cognac recently, couldn't believe the price but it was good, but NOT that good!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have a bottle of Old Thumper and an Old Peculier I forgot about.

They have now been in the cupboard so long, they scare me.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
not having partaken of any alcohol in 2 and half yrs, I had a clearout coupla weeks ago...... the sink was potent.. the bottle bank run took a fair while.. how much money poured away! oh well..... just champers left.. was waiting to celebrate the albion in the prem.. hm!

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk

Got absolutely hammered a few yrs ago on Banana liqueur & Tequila (Electric Banana) took me 3 days to get rid of the headache.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here