Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Proposal for all German immigrants to be 'encouraged' to speak German, even at home

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The Christian Social Union, the junior partner in Angela Merkel's coalition government, has suggested that immigrants in Germany should be "encouraged" to speak German in public, and in the home - 'Speak German at home' row as conservatives target migrants

Will the kleine Deutschlanders have their way? Will [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] be forced to post on here in German? (We can but hope).

Es wäre nicht in Deutschland vorkommen.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Bollocks to that.. My German wife and I speak mainly English at home and we want to bring our daughter up speaking English as well as German. I speak German at work and a lot of the time socially, but she Angie and her gang can F%&K off, if they think I am gonna speak German at home!

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
My neighbours have just moved to Munich and their two teenage children are not allowed to start school until they can speak German.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Bollocks to that.. My German wife and I speak mainly English at home and we want to bring our daughter up speaking English as well as German. I speak German at work and a lot of the time socially, but she Angie and her gang can F%&K off, if they think I am gonna speak German at home!

I don't think you and your wife are the people who were being talked about, as I am sure that deep down you know. The comment was made to try and break down barriers which are there when immigrants make no effort to learn German and thus are more likely to lead separate lives, missing out on much in the process.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Good way of helping integration in my opinion. There a people in this country who's English is quite frankly awful and there is no effort to remedy it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This wouldn't happen in Germany...

Correct. This is a total non-story. The CSU did make the ludicrous suggestion in a draft document but it was quickly revised.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Bavarians are funny. They can barely speak German properly themselves.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Dies ist eine gute nachricht für alle Deutschsprachigen , aber nicht für die anderen.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Vorsprung durch minimal techno.

It's one of the things the Germans do exceedingly well. That and invading France.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Shows once again that Bavaria is the Texas of Germany...

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Well if Germany is at the centre of Europe geographically, politically, and of course economically then surely the only sensible solution is to widen this language question a tad, and have a policy whereby German becomes the official language of the whole continent - including peripheral lands such as the British Isles. One language, one federal government, and one currency, much simpler for all?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Proposal for all German immigrants to be 'encouraged' to speak German, even a...

My neighbours have just moved to Munich and their two teenage children are not allowed to start school until they can speak German.

I only see that as a good thing. Shame it's not the same here

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Preparations being made for Turkish accession to the EU ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here