Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

As if things couldn't get any worse.....

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

D

Deleted User X18H

Brighton Laines Market

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 1,967
Last edited:

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
What about it says the Godalming resident? Am I missing summat?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
There's been a sign on The Lord Nelson all year 'North Laines' spelled that way. Could it be just a matter of time before it becomes the new correct way to spell it?

D

Deleted User X18H

There's been a sign on The Lord Nelson all year 'North Laines' spelled that way. Could it be just a matter of time before it becomes the new correct way to spell it?

Well it's wrong

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes, you have started another thread.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I must be getting thicker by the minute.
What is the problem?
If the sign for Laines is referring to north of North Street it is correct. But if referring to The Lanes, south of North Street, it is wrong.

Of course, it probably has nothing to do with either!!??

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I must be getting thicker by the minute.
What is the problem?
If the sign for Laines is referring to north of North Street it is correct. But if referring to The Lanes, south of North Street, it is wrong.

Of course, it probably has nothing to do with either!!??
Sounds like you are. That's North Laine.

To the OP; of course it could be referring to more than one of the Brighton Laines, North, West, East and Hilly.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
As if things couldn't get any worse...

You've written another 'article'?

I recall our esteemed enobled Lord B (I think) gave an erudite explanation of "Laine v Laines" a while back - as far as I can recall the term refers to an ancient system of measuring land.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
What a shite thread, I still don't understand what it's purpose is. Could it be that I'm just supposed to know despite living,currently, nearly 50 miles away or is it some secret you can only be party to if you were born and bred in Hove. Why post it for discussion if you're not going to enlighten "out of towners". " Aloof" springs to mind as does a possible explanation as to why some on here see you as somewhat of a tool!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
This sign has been up in Brighton since February this year, no-one has bothered to do anything about it, is that because people don't know, don't think it matters, or is important, or simply just don't care? Or maybe common parlance is just changing, and people see a collection of small roads in the plural sense and therefore call it "Laines".

There are plenty of other words in the English language that have had their meaning changed, been twisted and are misconstrued on a daily basis, much farther and wider reaching than a B&B in Hove and a relatively small number of others who aren't DFL.

I agree, it's wrong, but things change.

1962532_10152320494821635_490453491_o.jpg
View attachment 60740

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
The semantic argument must be doing wonders for the trader's business, with all the free publicity. Where else are shopping areas discussed ad nauseum with regard to their respective names, no doubt enticing wonga-ed customers to try and find a demarcation point between them, and spend, spend, spend while they are at it! Brilliant!

PS Trafalgar Street is the only street in England where you can drive IN at both ends, but can drive OUT at neither (Guiness Book Of Records)...

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
That's strange because VisitBrighton refers to shopping in the North Laines in the North Laine area of Brighton. So the whole thread is about the letter "s". Get a life HB7B.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
With everything that is happening in the world, such as war, famine, disease, death, child sexual assaults, crime, climate change and corruption you choose the title "As if things couldn't get any worse ...." to make a pedantic comment about a spelling. I would suggest you take a long hard look at yourself and start to worry about real issues that impact on real people and try to do something positive about that, go out and find out which cause impacts on your emotions most and do something about it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here