Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cancel Xmas, the Greens are in power

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
It appears the president of the swimming club agrees with the decision, which also seems entirely reasonable to me. So is the OP just blathering as usual or is there a particular point to this thread?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It appears the president of the swimming club agrees with the decision, which also seems entirely reasonable to me. So is the OP just blathering as usual or is there a particular point to this thread?
If you really believe that Swimming Club actually agree wholeheartedly with this decision then you really are a fool.

They will have been warned that if they say anything which could be construed as being happy to see an unofficial event take place that they could be leaving themselves open to legal action in the event of an accident. Jeez, you must be popular at parties.

PS Perhaps the Greens could cancel another historic event in Brighton, the Speed Trials? Oh, they tried that and public pressure forced them to back track, here's hoping the same happens here!

Last edited:

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
If you really believe that Swimming Club actually agree wholeheartedly with this decision then you really are a fool.

They will have been warned that if they say anything which could be construed as being happy to see an unofficial event take place that they could be leaving themselves open to legal action in the event of an accident. Jeez, you must be popular at parties.

The article seems to suggest the club agreed with the decision to me. Unless you know otherwise?

Margaret Tuppen, president of the swimming club, said: “It is a shame to break tradition and I do moan about health and safety sometimes, but the conclusion of the meeting was that it can be quite dangerous - especially when drink is involved.

“If it means a tragedy is prevented then we support the decision.”

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The article seems to suggest the club agreed with the decision to me. Unless you know otherwise?

Margaret Tuppen, president of the swimming club, said: “It is a shame to break tradition and I do moan about health and safety sometimes, but the conclusion of the meeting was that it can be quite dangerous - especially when drink is involved.

“If it means a tragedy is prevented then we support the decision.”
Try reading what you have quoted?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

If you say so, although it doesn't seem like much of a conspiracy theory to me.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Try reading what you have quoted?

It reads to me that she is saying: 'I don't usualy agree with all the health and safety bullshit, but due to the death of a Hastings women in 2012 and possible lack of resources on the day we are in agreement with the council'

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Sensationalising a story and using it to bash a party. Very tabloidesque.

No-one is being banned from going for a swim on Christmas Day. They are closing parts of the beach popular and central. I'm sure the swimming club could make alternative arrangements.

Cancel Christmas over a bit of beach closed? Ha.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
They are closing parts of the beach popular and central. I'm sure the swimming club could make alternative arrangements.

That is where the club headquarters are based! This event has been taking place since the 1860's, but the health and safety twerps (and the saddo's that blindly follow their advice) really don't care about that do they?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

PS Perhaps the Greens could cancel another historic event in Brighton, the Speed Trials? Oh, they tried that and public pressure forced them to back track, here's hoping the same happens here!

Its those nasty cars you know .... and they are going faster than 20mph

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dumb arse elf and safty when the actual solution would be the to ask the press not to cover the swimmers and let them get on with it. funny how we never used to hear of it and there were no problems, when its widely reported as part of the TV news "its christmas, must report somthing when bugger all is happening" programme, the general public get involved and lo theres a problem or two. and this wont help as some bloody minded sorts will go out to deliberate break the sea swimming blockade, with the press in attendance to make a story.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
There is no mention of the Greens in the article. But it is a Green led council, with policy decisions affected accordingly. Bit like the 20 mph zones, enacted by the council and its officers, but originated from the the politicians.

To be fair, it is a tenuous link I have attempted to create, and perhaps my annoyance should have been directed at the health and safety bods. Ho hum.......

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
I always understood that any landowner or local authority only had control of a beach above the high tide mark. As soon as the water recedes, the public have an absolute right to use that area of beach exposed below the high tide line. Doesn't help the Club much I realise but people can still swim from below the closed areas.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
That is where the club headquarters are based! This event has been taking place since the 1860's, but the health and safety twerps (and the saddo's that blindly follow their advice) really don't care about that do they?

Blame the idiots that see fit to 'join' an organised event. Maybe I am a blind saddo, the event should go ahead, but idiots will join in and ruin it.

Tits like Littlejohn and Clarkson are given endless columns for their dumb crap, must we have even dumber versions of it on here?

Everyone who bangs on about elf and safety should look up what happened to that poor young kid Simon Jones who worked at Shoreham docks a few years ago and then argue if this country is really overrun by that culture.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There is no mention of the Greens in the article. But it is a Green led council, with policy decisions affected accordingly. Bit like the 20 mph zones, enacted by the council and its officers, but originated from the the politicians.

To be fair, it is a tenuous link I have attempted to create, and perhaps my annoyance should have been directed at the health and safety bods. Ho hum.......

Health and safety is directed by law in Westminster, and acted on by officials locally.

I know of one Green Party member who is in the Brighton Swimming Club, and she understands the decision, even though she doesn't particularly like it. She's happy to turn her skin blue on Christmas Day...

This isn't a party political decision; it's the H&S people.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here