Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Strange comment

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I wouldn't be surprised if people don't know how to stick milk and porridge in a pan and boil it, so she may have a point. Although it says Cameron was speaking in Crystal Palace, and we know they're capable of setting fire to things.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Unbelievable, they're so detached from reality aren't they - I'm sure many people aren't able to cook a meal from scratch, but they also can't afford the ingredients, you pompous idiot.

It's worth mentioning that many people probably don't always have the time to cook from scratch, a working single mother for instance..... God I hate the nasties.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I was staggered by the item on the BBC news showing the difference in price increases in Food,Energy and Housing costs between the UK and Germany. We really are getting ripped off right, left and centre. Some people are making big money off the backs of millions of low paid people.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
we are all in this together
so everyone round to Gideons for dinner tonight

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Unbelievable, they're so detached from reality aren't they - I'm sure many people aren't able to cook a meal from scratch, but they also can't afford the ingredients, you pompous idiot.

It's worth mentioning that many people probably don't always have the time to cook from scratch, a working single mother for instance..... God I hate the nasties.

She would have been wiser not to say it but there's a lot of truth in what she says. I live in a comparatively poor town but there are fast food outlets galore. A lot of people these days do seem incapable of cooking or are too lazy to do so and of course they can afford the ingredients. The idea that a single mother doesn't have time to cook from scratch is ludicrous. This finding excuses for the feckless disgusts me.
Silver spoon toffs like The Archbishop of Canterbury pontificating about the poor always make me fume. It's like that idiot David Jenkins when he was Bishop Of Durham going on about barefoot children in Sunderland. I've lived here sixty years and I've never seen one.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
She would have been wiser not to say it but there's a lot of truth in what she says. A lot of people these days do seem incapable of cooking or are too lazy to do so and of course they can afford the ingredients.

A glance at the BBC link would have revealed that two of the young people interviewed had catering qualifications: so to generalise and say that the people using foodbanks can't cook is just nonsense

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was staggered by the item on the BBC news showing the difference in price increases in Food,Energy and Housing costs between the UK and Germany. We really are getting ripped off right, left and centre. Some people are making big money off the backs of millions of low paid people.

Wouldn't happen in Germany......as you point out.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
That's funny this quote "I had a large bowl of porridge today. It cost 4p."

Did she use water instead of milk?

Tory accounting and Tory ethos.
She only accounts for the one dry ingredient ignoring the cost of milk and ignoring the sugar she added (you somehow know she wouldn't go the salt route).

Then the assumption that all poor people (even the ones who vote Tory? Maybe especially them!) are poorly educated whilst rich people can of course cook.....or perhaps like her ladyship have staff to do it for them.

I would hope that the opposition parties will have recorded that particular sound bite to play back again and again during next year's election campaign.

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
She would have been wiser not to say it but there's a lot of truth in what she says. I live in a comparatively poor town but there are fast food outlets galore. A lot of people these days do seem incapable of cooking or are too lazy to do so and of course they can afford the ingredients. The idea that a single mother doesn't have time to cook from scratch is ludicrous. This finding excuses for the feckless disgusts me.
Silver spoon toffs like The Archbishop of Canterbury pontificating about the poor always make me fume. It's like that idiot David Jenkins when he was Bishop Of Durham going on about barefoot children in Sunderland. I've lived here sixty years and I've never seen one.

Agree. I'm sure I'll get flamed but there is definitely a correlation between food education and how much you spend. Obviously it's never going to go down well if a Tory MP highlights it though.

I've put it on here before, but a couple of years ago work changed my pay date and I had to do 6 weeks on a months pay so was massively skint. My food budget was £35 a week for everything, and I managed to eat pretty well. My inspiration was India where every mother and grandmother can knock out amazing food for pennies by using a few spices, a cup of rice and some vegetables. Also the Polish, who can cook up amazing food using just a cabbage!

You're limited by your knowledge so it can get boring, but when needs must and all that.......

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Wouldn't happen in Germany......as you point out.

I just don't get it, according to Dave we have more people in employment that ever before and our economy is moving swiftly in the right direction. The banks are returning to profit, despite the regular fines for malpractice and there has never been a better time to start a small business. So, where is all the money going ?

How come my small savings are getting smaller thanks to the low interest rates for savers and after a few job changes I am now earning less in a less secure job than I was earning in 2006 ? Everything I have to buy has gone up but my wages have not gone up by anywhere near the same level. So who is trousering all this money I can barely earn ?

David, It's over to you .

Last edited:

Of course, people are using food banks because they can't cook - it has absolutely nothing to do with having no money and being unable to afford the ingredients.

These MP's really don't seem to comprehend how detached they are from regular people.

She isn't an MP.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Unbeleivable leftwing propaganda in that link.

The counter-intuitive reality - particularly for poorer women - is perfectly illustrated by what she says next.

"I've gained loads of weight since I've lived in the YMCA because when I'm not eating my body stores the fat and makes me fatter. And then when I am eating, it's just stuff like rice and cheap stodgy stuff. You can't afford to eat nicely," she says.

"Counter-intuitive reality" must be up there in Orwellian double speak. What the writier is refering to is when the woman who allegedly has catering qualiofications says she "stores fat" when she doesn't eat. iow a load of BS.

Want a couple of reasons for poverty?

Green carbon taxes causing fuel poverty. Oposition to GM foods causing food prices to be higher, coupled with EU protectionism and trendy/expensive Organic food.

If labour wants to help the poor it really should have no truck with the Greens and their unscientific screwy eye agenda.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I just don't get it, according to Dave we have more people in employment that ever before and our economy is moving swiftly in the right direction. The banks are returning to profit, despite the regular fines for malpractice and there has never been a better time to start a small business. So, where is all the money going ?

How come my small savings are getting smaller thanks to the low interest rates for savers and after a few job changes I am now earning less in a less secure job than I was earning in 2006 ? Everything I have to buy has gone up but my wages have not gone up by anywhere near the same level. So who is trousering all this money I can barely earn ?

The cost of houses and rent are where much of this money is going... and the only way to make money with small savings is to invest it.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

Think you've answered your own questions there.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I think she may have a point my wife made a chicken casserole which made 4 meals 2 with Chicken and then a tasty vegetable chunky soup with a bit bread the following day , Cost roughly 50/60 pence per portion plus electricity.
On Sunday I think we spent About £4 plus electricity on Sunday meals Breakfast cereal and milk lunch cheese and bread and chicken casserole and banana for pudding. However during the week we had a take away curry and spent £17 as a treat.
What do you spend on food per week. We do donate to food banks however why doesn't a top chef produce a book how to cook good food at a low prices and supermarkets try and sell you food you don't really want or need and throw away food which could be donated to good causes.
The food banks could hand out recipes how to cook healthy food without spending to much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here