Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton 2 Liverpool 0

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Go on watch the full 19 minutes to cheer yourself up. Wonder at the speed and skill of Steve Penney, the tough tackling of Tony Grealish, the lanky Eric Young .....The super goal by Terry Connor and Gerry Ryan's great goal....go on go on go on do it ....find it on YouTube and you will be in awe at how good we used to be and the atmosphere.....you can taste it.

Last edited:

zxtwinturbo

Nov 7, 2014
Go on watch the full 19 minutes to cheer yourself up. Wonder at the speed and skill of Steve Penny, the tough tackling of Tony Grealish, the lanky Eric Young .....The super goal by Terry Connor and Gerry Ryan's great goal....go on go on go on do it ....find it on YouTube and you will be in awe at how good we used to be and the atmosphere.....you can taste it.

This was a cracking day,the north stand was rocking and after the game me and a mate went back to crawley on a coach with some right gobby bad loseing scouse twxts.Oh how we enjoyed giving them stick

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Indeed was a fantastic day......We played so well, had a bit of luck with the Liverpool lads a bit off for but we deserved the result........happy days:albion2:

zxtwinturbo

Nov 7, 2014
i had the whole match of vhs for years.lost it somewhere..I remember at the begining of game all the ripped up newspaper being thrown around in the north and the noise after 2nd goal was something else

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Go on watch the full 19 minutes to cheer yourself up. Wonder at the speed and skill of Steve Penny, the tough tackling of Tony Grealish, the lanky Eric Young .....The super goal by Terry Connor and Gerry Ryan's great goal....go on go on go on do it ....find it on YouTube and you will be in awe at how good we used to be and the atmosphere.....you can taste it.

I know what you mean, as I was there. The club have tried to commodify it, but it is impossible, as it's about soul, not spreadsheets...

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
i had the whole match of vhs for years.lost it somewhere..I remember at the begining of game all the ripped up newspaper being thrown around in the north and the noise after 2nd goal was something else

I still have the VHS tape, but nothing on which to play it!

It was one of THE best atmospheres I've ever been in. Fair play to the current regime, that clip of the (unroofed) North Stand going mental in the pre-match sequence at the Amex is when Terry Connor slots the 2nd goal.

Don't forget Liverpool were the best team in EUROPE. That season they won the League, the League Cup and the European Cup! We were the only team to knock them out of any competition!! Albion-wise can anyone best that stat?!?

PG

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
19 minutes of wonderfulness

zxtwinturbo

Nov 7, 2014
Steve penny was a top quality player but didnt chris catlin choose him over ian wright who had a trial in the 83/84 season?

Marvellous scenes, even though I know the outcome I wasa stiil worried that Liverpool were going to grab a goal 30+ years later! I was there, Feb '84 I think and was the game actually live on TV, I am sure it was a Sunday afternoon? Had forgotten that Robinson was playing for Liverpool.

Will save it and show it to youngest Potting to continue her Albion education.

Final thought, anyone done a 'tache count - some fine specimens on show from both sides and does the late great Tony Grealish quailify for "hairiest ever Albion player" award?

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Yep, it was deffo on Sunday due to TV. I went with my Uncle to see Pompey v Soton on the Sat then to the goldstone on the Sunday.

DavePage

Who followed it with the Anfield game? (the year before, on youtube)
I’d forgotten about the penalty and Melia’s attempt to get the players to wave goodbye to the Kop.
Same class that went with his white shoes I guess.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Liverpool's team at the Goldstone included 10 of the 11 starters at the European Cup final that year.

The FA Cup was afforded the respect it deserved in those days. Playing an under strength team out of indifference was unthinkable.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
And here's the game from Anfield the previous season...

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Happy days. I was at both those games both on sundays. Let's not forget that when we beat them in the 84 game we were a 2nd division club (championship to all the younger fans). Bloody superb.

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
TC's goal, Jimmy In the quarter final, and the promotion goals v Bristol Rovers were my best north stand celebrations. There were of course hundreds, but these stand out as lose your breath wobbly leg monents.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I know what you mean, as I was there. The club have tried to commodify it, but it is impossible, as it's about soul, not spreadsheets...

Maybe if our fans worried less about spreadsheet and actually tried to create an atmosphere it might help. I am yet to see anything the club have done to stop one being generated if the fans weren't so self conscious and just got on with it rather than worry about what anyone else nearby is singing / doing.

Blaming the club is an easy excuse and doesn't make it true.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here