Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Broadsword Calling Danny Boy.....

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Watching it now for the gazillionth time.

Best. War. Film. Ever.

FACT

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Best...film...ever. If I wasn't making a lasagne I'd be in front of the box. The Gestapo actor (a Brit apparently) actually escapes into the river running along the back of The Schloss Adler at the end, using his lips as a rubber dinghy to sail to unoccupied Iceland where he saw out the war designing and baking ring doughnuts.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
It's amazing World War II lasted as long as it did given the Wehrmacht's appalling marksmanship.......

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
One of the few films I've watched numerous times on TV and also owned on Betamax , VHS , DVD and BluRay

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's amazing World War II lasted as long as it did given the Wehrmacht's appalling marksmanship.......

They were fortunate in having a huge army, admittedly most always seemed to be standing around guarding a lamp post or similar and as such didn't last long.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
More historical inaccuracies per two minutes of film than any other film in celluloid history (excuse the pun). The poster of a young Ashley Barnes in full Plymouth Argyle away kit on the back wall of the wood shed ten minutes in being a personal favourite.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Second rate punk?
That was the best I could do in the time.
That makes it worse.

:thumbsup:

By no means the best film I've ever seen, but it is my favourite film.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Loving the Thunderbirds level Special Effects as the Schloss goes up, here comes the Cable Car sequence.....

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Yup. BUT... every time it's on, I always miss the first 20 minutes, so not knowing why Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood are doing this operation.

Because we NEED to win World War II and that involves blowing up a Schloss at the top of a Mountain and killing lots of Germans who can't shoot straight - pretty OBVIOUS I would have thought? :thumbsup:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Best...film...ever. If I wasn't making a lasagne I'd be in front of the box. The Gestapo actor (a Brit apparently) actually escapes into the river running along the back of The Schloss Adler at the end, using his lips as a rubber dinghy to sail to unoccupied Iceland where he saw out the war designing and baking ring doughnuts.

He lived in Brighton for years apparently.
No seriously he actually did.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
One tiny thing I've always wondered about. When they phone the German major in Italy to back up Smith's alibi, why does the major say "Give me the water" afterwards?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Not a bad film for adventure...there were many errors in (ie: exploding the telegraph poles...you actually see the saw marks where they've have pre cut them)...no where near historical facts but there again it does not claim to be...the best fictional war film was by far "The Cruel Sea" so much truth in the story.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
They were fortunate in having a huge army, admittedly most always seemed to be standing around guarding a lamp post or similar and as such didn't last long.

They also had a tendency to run blindly into hails of bullets without trying to sneak up under cover like the allies. They also seemed to fall very easily for non German speaking German soldiers ( actually commandos in disguise) who seem to get through heavily guarded checkpoints by miming or just saying " Nein" to any difficult question. This is shown in several movies ( Kelly's heroes, the Guns of Navarone, etc. ) whereas Germans speaking fluent English in impeccable accents are rumbled very easily by the vicar or a man in a shop (the eagle has landed, battle of the bulge etc.)

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I remember going to watch this at the cinema with my family - if it was when it was first released, which it must have been, I was 3 years old! All I remember is that the film was split into 2 parts, all through the first part I was apparently saying "are we going home yet?" and then during the second part I did not utter a sound - too much shooting and stuff!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here