Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A new business

Feb 11, 2007
Brighton
After 32 years of working in the public sector I am thinking of setting up my own business.

Does anyone have any sound advice about setting up a fledgling company, where I can find a good accountant and web designer please?

Any advice is much appreciated.

EW

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
After 32 years of working in the public sector I am thinking of setting up my own business.

Does anyone have any sound advice about setting up a fledgling company, where I can find a good accountant and web designer please?

Any advice is much appreciated.

EW
Don't spend fortunes starting up.

TB

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Good business plan and research of competition but it depends on what you are going into. Allow for taking longer to make a profit and see what help you can get from the Government and local council if any.
And remember you become the tax collector for the Gov. And lots of good luck. Accountant Cardens Hove

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Have a word with [MENTION=2647]gripper stebson[/MENTION] for web design.

Be careful with spending money on advertising, all sorts of con artists will contact you trying to get you to pay for 'fake' adverts.

Hopefully there is a NSC user that is an accountant, if no one on here contacts you I can recommend one.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004

Be careful with spending money on advertising, all sorts of con artists will contact you trying to get you to pay for 'fake' adverts.

Hopefully there is a NSC user that is an accountant, if no one on here contacts you I can recommend one.

Yep - happy to help. Done quite a few Albion fan's business sites recently. PM me mate.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath

good advice they all sell advertising space and say it will boost your business 9 out 10 are a waste of money.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Have a look at www.fivesquid.com

You can have lot done for as little as a fiver. Lot of it business based ,ie logo, website, letterhead design.

Will get you going with little outlay:thumbsup:

Feb 11, 2007
Brighton
Thanks to you all for your advice. A have sent you a PM Gripper.

Cheers to you all.

EW

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I'll throw my name into the web designer hat.

Get advice from people around you, particularly ones that have done it themselves, success or not.

Learn everyday.

Be prepared to not make money for at least a year (maybe more!)

Try to keep overheads as small as possible.

Never sign long contracts if you can. Eg premises, services etc.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Be sure that you are willing to work harder than you have ever done in your life before - take as little out of the business as you possibly can, preferably nothing at all - keep on top of the money you are owed - most important of all be certain that the business you are going to start is something you really, really, really enjoy doing.

That is the life for most start-up owners of new businesses for at least the first few years - the eventual rewards can be very satisfying but they don't normally come easily.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Good luck in whatever it is you are hoping to do.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Stay in public sector

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Two Crucial Words

CASH FLOW

Chase your debts like your life depends upon it.

Just remember Cash Flow is not just something that wanders aimlessly around your business. Before you start, do a Cashflow forecast to confirm that you are likely to be viable. It will either stop you in your tracks or if it looks ok, make sure you make the forecast happen. As an Albion manager once said 'to fail to plan is to plan to fail'.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here