• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've had enough of everyone agreeing the Finn should be binned. I need a proper BINFEST. So which is your roasting SPUD of choice. Note there are only three possible answers and thus only three poll options.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
While the type of spud is important, the method is more so.

> Part boil them first and them bash 'em around in the pan a bit after draining.
> Put in the baking time and drizzle a bit of chilli olive oil over them ( not too much )
> Add whole cloves of unwrapped garlic and sprigs of rosemary
> Dollop on duck / goose fat and shove in the oven
> Only turn the potatoes ONCE ensuring that it is the flatest and biggest sides on the bottom of the baking dish

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
You forgot to pre heat the oven and fat. Wife always does that and her roasties are the bees knees.

Excellent use of the first full stop, BG.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not a huge fan of roast potatoes, but I do like chips / potato wedges.

Similar things - cooked in the oven.

I've had better results by really getting the potatoes dry after the par boil. Borrowed a Heston technique by drying the potatoes in the freezer before putting in the oven.

I suspect this would work for roasts.

I'm really particularly about mash. Maris Piper, has to be baked first then pushed through a potato ricer. Peeling loses all the potato flavour.

Not fussed on the butter and or milk argument, it's the throwing away of the skins before cooking that bothers me.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Red roosters actually work far better than any of the above. They're also a pound a bag at lidl at the moment. Fill your boots!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Desiree.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I used to be a confirmed Maris Piper man.

One time I got to the supermarket really late on a Saturday to buy spuds for Sunday lunch the following day.

They only had a type called Albert Bartlett Rooster left.

I bought them with some trepidation.

But now? I'll never go back to Maris Piper. These Rooster's are absolutely delicious. Best roast spuds I've ever tasted.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I grow my own spuds up the plot and always aim to have about 30-40lb of main crop spuds to go through the winter. I have tried loads of varieties and all seem fine although some are better than others. I would recommend almost any red potato as opposed to whites for roasting. If you can get them, Desiree, Stemster, Romano and Kondor are all excellent roasters.

But,I have kept some of my Foremost first earlies this year and although a white variety and sprouting a bit, they are excellent roasted. As stated before, par-boiling and very hot oil are essentials but I like to sprinkle them with seasoned flour before putting them in the oil. Marvellous !

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
D'Arcey Bussell or Baby Spice.

Both Spuds fans and certainly up for roasting.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Red roosters actually work far better than any of the above. They're also a pound a bag at lidl at the moment. Fill your boots!

These for me too. As already said, boil first, roughen up a bit, allow to dry, have a deep roasting tray of fat as hot as you can get it beforehand and gently put them in. Cover exposed tops with hot fat too, roast for about 45-60 mins turning once.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here